Square cases for cables?

• Members

Anyone know of any square totes or cases for cables? Everything is rectangular it seems. I want something cheap and light. I thought I'd seen people with rolling plastic square totes at various events but can't seem to find any now. The audiopile small mic case might work for mic cables, but might be too small for power cables.

• Members

I use mic cases that hold 24 mics. They come divide up into 3 sections. I pull the dividers and put one in the middle. They basically replaced my milk crates of shame.

Not the perfect setup but the best I could find. I over/under everything to fit. But I'm not carrying hundreds of feet of AC cable.

aef4d335.jpg
32872af6.jpg

I have 3 of them.

XLR long (25' & 50') & XLR short (10')
AC & Speakon cables
Snakes & misc.

8DEFD821-6C40-4A4A-96D3-1B515BCDB4E9-158

I'm always keeping an eye out for something better.

thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hemismith

View Post

Anyone know of any square totes or cases for cables? Everything is rectangular it seems. I want something cheap and light. I thought I'd seen people with rolling plastic square totes at various events but can't seem to find any now. The audiopile small mic case might work for mic cables, but might be too small for power cables.

These aren't square but might be worth a look http://www.hardcase.com/index.php?ma...24535da7c21b8b

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by dennis a

View Post

These aren't square but might be worth a look http://www.hardcase.com/index.php?ma...24535da7c21b8b

Never seen these in person, but if they're decently strong they should be fine for items like cables and stands that aren't subject to severe damage if bumped and dropped. Of course, they earned a demerit by misspelling "caster" in their .pdf file catalog.....biggrin.gif

• Members

Thanks. The problem is my back -- I can only carry so much and the rectangular cases both weigh more and hold too much (or waste space). But maybe there is a short one that is long enough to hold two stacks side by side. I also need rectangular cases for my snake and mixer, and someday should get something for my mic and speaker stands, so I'll look at those options.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by hemismith View Post
Here's another option, better than square!

b0991248-1832-4628-ad92-3cc9ec8b974a_300

A little too tall though, and maybe just a little tacky.
While it might work for audio cables, I'd be very reluctant to coil power cables and/or snake that tightly.

I also prefer all cases have the same shape, and preferably also be the same size or fraction of the largest size to allow efficient trailer packing.

Incidentally, the Homer bucket is at least a 5-gallon. Most joint compound pails are 4 or 4.5 gallon, with the diminished dimension being height.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by scharris_99 View Post
I use these nesting & stacking bins:
http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...1#.UNHwe3dCN8E

I've got mixed feelings about these. Of the "non-standard" cases (not an Anvil-type case) these are pretty good and the size is right for cables. But the plastic they use tends to be more on the brittle side, and I've had them crack or shatter in cold weather. I've seen some made of that thicker resin, and they seemed to be more flexible and temperature resistant, but haven't owned any to prove it out.

• Members

The home depot storage bins are a great alternative if you're not gonna use an anvil road case. I've got a handful of them and prefer them the using them when getting a huge road case in a van is too much for 1 person. If it's truck pack I really prefer the anvil cases, actually I really like the EWI trunk cases best.

• Members

I use these; http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

I have one for each type of cable, mic, speaker, patch snakes. AC electric and main snake. Mine are an opaque tan, but I wish that I had gotten the transparent ones like these. I have cut a couple of 1 inch wide "u" shaped cutouts in the lid for the main snake so that I only have to pull out as much as i need, and then can put the lid back on. Works like a charm. Everything stays organized, and no tub gets so heavy that it's a problem for one person to handle.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hemismith

View Post

Wait a minute. You saying you want square containers for round cables? wink.gif

• Members

I use three of these plastic rolling cases formy rig. The size is just about perfect (even if you really fill it with cables - the weight it still manageable. The wheels and telescoping handle make for easy schlepping. The removeable tool tray is perfect for miscellaneous stuff. The top has three multi-section "parts bins" that are molded into the top for small stuff.

In my setup - 1 is dedicated to my keyboard rig (pedals and cables in the bottom; tools, my vocal mic, bag with PSM200 bodypack, a couple of "Y' Cables, adapters, batteries, etc. in the removeable tool tray). 1 unit (with the tool tray removed) is dedicated for AC cables and speaker cables (4 - 50 foot, 4 - 25 foot speaker cables, 2 - 20 AC cables with quad boxes). The 3rd unit is dedicated to PA miscellaneous - mic cables, adaptors, etc.

In addition to being a case - I use 'em to sit and stand on when setting up at gigs. They've doubled as amp stands as well.

I live in Michigan and these live year round in my unheated garage - so they get lots of exposure to cold. I paid something like $30 each for 'em at Lowes - more than 5 years ago - and all three are still going strong. If I had to do it again - I buy 3 more in a heartbeat!

PICT0065.jpg

I haven't seen the exact make and model I have for a couple of years ... however here's a product that Lowes currently has that is damn close.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_336429-1156-...hest&facetInfo=

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
While it might work for audio cables, I'd be very reluctant to coil power cables and/or snake that tightly.
Agreed.

I also prefer all cases have the same shape, and preferably also be the same size or fraction of the largest size to allow efficient trailer packing.
Good point.

Incidentally, the Homer bucket is at least a 5-gallon. Most joint compound pails are 4 or 4.5 gallon, with the diminished dimension being height.
Good to know. Thanks!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man

View Post

There are "square" versions of the plastic 5 gallon bucket that are used in food service. Similar ones are sometimes used for laundry detergent, too. Cheap and light, but no wheels. Mark C.

That's right, I've seen those.

Archived