Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Square cases for cables?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I use three of these plastic rolling cases formy rig. The size is just about perfect (even if you really fill it with cables - the weight it still manageable. The wheels and telescoping handle make for easy schlepping. The removeable tool tray is perfect for miscellaneous stuff. The top has three multi-section "parts bins" that are molded into the top for small stuff.



    In my setup - 1 is dedicated to my keyboard rig (pedals and cables in the bottom; tools, my vocal mic, bag with PSM200 bodypack, a couple of "Y' Cables, adapters, batteries, etc. in the removeable tool tray). 1 unit (with the tool tray removed) is dedicated for AC cables and speaker cables (4 - 50 foot, 4 - 25 foot speaker cables, 2 - 20 AC cables with quad boxes). The 3rd unit is dedicated to PA miscellaneous - mic cables, adaptors, etc.



    In addition to being a case - I use 'em to sit and stand on when setting up at gigs. They've doubled as amp stands as well.



    I live in Michigan and these live year round in my unheated garage - so they get lots of exposure to cold. I paid something like $30 each for 'em at Lowes - more than 5 years ago - and all three are still going strong. If I had to do it again - I buy 3 more in a heartbeat!







    I haven't seen the exact make and model I have for a couple of years ... however here's a product that Lowes currently has that is damn close.



    http://www.lowes.com/pd_336429-1156-...hest&facetInfo=
    The SpaceNorman

    www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
    www.souldoutrocks.com

    Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
    Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
    Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

    Comment


    • #17






      Quote Originally Posted by Craigv
      View Post

      While it might work for audio cables, I'd be very reluctant to coil power cables and/or snake that tightly.




      Agreed.









      Quote Originally Posted by Craigv
      View Post

      I also prefer all cases have the same shape, and preferably also be the same size or fraction of the largest size to allow efficient trailer packing.




      Good point.









      Quote Originally Posted by Craigv
      View Post

      Incidentally, the Homer bucket is at least a 5-gallon. Most joint compound pails are 4 or 4.5 gallon, with the diminished dimension being height.




      Good to know. Thanks!
      Craig

      Comment


      • #18
        Thanks everyone, great suggestions. I saw one square tote at Lowes but it was too big. So I'll probably end up with one of these other options.
        Craig

        Comment


        • #19
          There are "square" versions of the plastic 5 gallon bucket that are used in food service. Similar ones are sometimes used for laundry detergent, too. Cheap and light, but no wheels. Mark C.
          "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

          Comment


          • #20
            I've been looking for a simple milk crate, but those are apparently difficult to find in my area.
            http://www.stlband.com
            http://www.youtube.com/sweepthelegband
            http://www.facebook.com/sweepthelegband

            Comment


            • #21






              Quote Originally Posted by nousername
              View Post

              I've been looking for a simple milk crate, but those are apparently difficult to find in my area.




              Cord ends seem to find their way out of milk crates... seemingly putting those ends in a really bad situation.

              Comment


              • #22






                Quote Originally Posted by nousername
                View Post

                I've been looking for a simple milk crate, but those are apparently difficult to find in my area.




                http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ORB...133?Pid=search
                Craig

                Comment


                • #23






                  Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man
                  View Post

                  There are "square" versions of the plastic 5 gallon bucket that are used in food service. Similar ones are sometimes used for laundry detergent, too. Cheap and light, but no wheels. Mark C.




                  That's right, I've seen those.
                  Craig

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I found a few square cable and drum cases from roadcasesusa, including some light-duty ones, but the web site isn't clear about the weight of each model. It appears they are still pretty heavy though.
                    Craig

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      If you really want a square bucket, and if you have cats, you should be able to find cat litter which comes in a variety of sizes. They are stackable, might work for mic cables, but seem to small for speaker. power cables and snakes.
                      www.RunningSound.com

                      Comment


                      • #26






                        Quote Originally Posted by hemismith
                        View Post

                        Always love that. I didn't realize the longer ones had wheels.




                        You mean, Casters.



                        Craig caught me on that spelling once, honestly, i never knew the right spelling for it then.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I've used the Rubbermaid Roughneck tubs for years. Probably the highest cost/performance ratio of anything I've ever bought.



                          One finally cracked a little this fall, after 15+ years of use - hundreds of gigs.



                          They nest, and you can get them in different sizes.



                          The Sterilite and other off brands will crack in the cold, or just in general.







                          MG
                          "Thank You, NASA!"

                          Comment


                          • #28






                            Quote Originally Posted by scharris_99
                            View Post

                            If you really want a square bucket, and if you have cats, you should be able to find cat litter which comes in a variety of sizes. They are stackable, might work for mic cables, but seem to small for speaker. power cables and snakes.




                            Following up:



                            This morning when I emptied my cat's litter pan into the garden area, I looked around to see if there was any cat litter (fresh or otherwise) there-about that would be suitable for housing cables. I came up empty handed (thank goodness I think).



                            I tried stacking some of the cat litter that's in my garden with my foot... it does seem to stack nicely up to a few inches thick... maybe because it was pretty wet. There also seemed to a variety of sizes of cat litter stuff stuck to my shoe... I washed it off my shoes with a garden hose... which seemed appropriate at the time.

                            Comment


                            • #29






                              Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
                              View Post

                              Cord ends seem to find their way out of milk crates... seemingly putting those ends in a really bad situation.




                              Taking a cue from the film industry, you can make (or have made at a sheet metal/HVAC shop) a "tin" liner for the crate to prevent that issue. Whether that is a cost-effective solution is up to you.... Mark C.
                              "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

                              Comment


                              • #30






                                Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
                                View Post

                                Following up:



                                This morning when I emptied my cat's litter pan into the garden area, I looked around to see if there was any cat litter (fresh or otherwise) there-about that would be suitable for housing cables. I came up empty handed (thank goodness I think).



                                I tried stacking some of the cat litter that's in my garden with my foot... it does seem to stack nicely up to a few inches thick... maybe because it was pretty wet. There also seemed to a variety of sizes of cat litter stuff stuck to my shoe... I washed it off my shoes with a garden hose... which seemed appropriate at the time.




                                You will have better luck if you get the "clumping" variety of cat litter... at least as far as building a box. That said, I'm NOT looking forward to a "TourCat" version being sold by an eastern Washington purveyor of quality audio gear. Mark C.
                                "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

                                Comment













                                Working...
                                X