Hurricane Sandy concert-------Interesting observation

• Members

Just caught part of the concert on TV. Watched Bruce Springsteen with John Bon Jovi. Both of them cupped their wireless units so high on the grill you almost couldn't see the grill at all. Good engineers or good mics or?????? I would have thought with all that stage experience, you wouldn't see that. Wrong again. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dcastar View Post
This.
I doubt that very much, particularly if you're talking about Bon Jovi.

For starters, he was clearly struggling to hit the high notes when singing the choruses on Livin' On A Prayer, to the point that he resorted to masking it by 'allowing' the crowd to sing every other line for him.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
I doubt that very much, particularly if you're talking about Bon Jovi.

For starters, he was clearly struggling to hit the high notes when singing the choruses on Livin' On A Prayer, to the point that he resorted to masking it by 'allowing' the crowd to sing every other line for him.
I recall seeing a video about this somewhere. Basically during the late 80s/early 90s he was struggling so much with the high notes that the keyboard player was singing most of it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KellyMainEvent View Post
anyone know who the sound company was?? Clair probably

The main Audio supplier was Firehouse Productions who was using the new JBL VTX rig with additional support from Harmon (supplying more JBL VTX and Crown Itech-HD). The bands did bring in there production company for support: Solotech (Springsteen); Clair (Joel, McCartney, Bon Jovi, Stones, Waters, Who, Keys); Eighth Day Sound (West, Martin) (Coldplay); Delicate Productions (Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters/Nirvana); and Rat Sound (Vedder).

Lighting was BML Blackbird.

• Members

OK, I'm just being curious here. I had recorded part of the 121212 concert last week and over the weekend watched a bit of it again. The SR for the Bon Jovi / Springsteen set was indeed outstanding especially considering there were (I'm doing this from memory) two "full" drum kits presumably both fully mic'd, a backline of four horns on the left each with a instrument pickup and a stage mic and 4-5 vocalists on the right each with stage mics, numerous mic'd amps, and a frontline of 4-5 instruments and stage mics -- not to mention ~15-20 sets of in-ears. Now I'd be the last noob to cast doubt on the abilities of some of the experienced brethren on this forum but is it even possible that one master wizard was able to run the entire show by themselves? I mean I'd assume there was definitely one master engineer responsible for the overall product but I wouldn't be surprised that for a gig of that scale there would typically be a team of sub engineers -- one for the drum kits, one for the backline, etc, etc, all feeding to and under the direction of the "master". Yes I'm sure they did a very extensive rehearsal/ sound check in the empty hall and even had a reasonably good estimate of what covering all of the horizontal surfaces with clothed humans would do to the dynamics of the room but still. Again, just being curious today.

And yes, this is my very first post after lurking and learning here for almost a year now. It would be hard to overstate how much I've learned during this period and I offer a sincere thanks to all that contribute and especially Craig for keeping it all constructive and civil.

• Members

Good question.

Generally, there will be a FOH engineer, a monitor engineer, a systems engineer or two, a patch monkey, and a broadcast mix engineer or two.

Yes, occassionally, there will be some sharing of mixing duties, but that depends on how and what is being done and the personalities involved.

• Members

In the next couple months, I would expect that one of the major publishers will have some sort of show Tech write up with the number of companies involved.

At minimal, I would think that Firehouse had at least: 1 'HEAD' System Tech that over saw all the entire PA, 1 FOH A1/Engineer, 1 MON A1/Engineer, 2-3 A2 for stage patching and running cables (show). And then each Band brought in their own consoles with Audio guys.

At FOH, most logical scenario; each band sent 2-3 lines (Left, Right, Sub) from their console into Firehouse's Console. Most likely each band had their own snake run to FOH.
At MONs; with bands on ears, most of it is self-contained allowing the band to run independently from the

• Members

Thanks aged and KF65... -- sort of what I suspected/expected. It would be kind of interesting to learn how the show was actually handled, but again, it's only a matter of curiosity to me and not anything at all critical. While I'm getting ever more comfortable running three vocals and four instruments for a "acoustic" set, scaling that up by a factor of five or more with an audience of hundreds-of-thousands(?) is mind boggling to say the least!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dbMontana View Post
OK, I'm just being curious here. I had recorded part of the 121212 concert last week and over the weekend watched a bit of it again. The SR for the Bon Jovi / Springsteen set was indeed outstanding especially considering there were (I'm doing this from memory) two "full" drum kits presumably both fully mic'd, a backline of four horns on the left each with a instrument pickup and a stage mic and 4-5 vocalists on the right each with stage mics, numerous mic'd amps, and a frontline of 4-5 instruments and stage mics -- not to mention ~15-20 sets of in-ears. Now I'd be the last noob to cast doubt on the abilities of some of the experienced brethren on this forum but is it even possible that one master wizard was able to run the entire show by themselves? I mean I'd assume there was definitely one master engineer responsible for the overall product but I wouldn't be surprised that for a gig of that scale there would typically be a team of sub engineers -- one for the drum kits, one for the backline, etc, etc, all feeding to and under the direction of the "master". Yes I'm sure they did a very extensive rehearsal/ sound check in the empty hall and even had a reasonably good estimate of what covering all of the horizontal surfaces with clothed humans would do to the dynamics of the room but still. Again, just being curious today.

And yes, this is my very first post after lurking and learning here for almost a year now. It would be hard to overstate how much I've learned during this period and I offer a sincere thanks to all that contribute and especially Craig for keeping it all constructive and civil.
Another howdy from over Bozeman way.wave.gif

Archived