Collapse
No announcement yet.

What power amplifier do I need?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The non-DSP IPR has an onboard active crossover.
    -

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by soul-x
      View Post

The non-DSP IPR has an onboard active crossover.

Ah, my bad. I actually went to look that up and on the Sweetwater site it said DSP: no so I didn't go any further. So there you go, either will work. I do like the variable crossover point and HPF of the DSP unit though.

Something else I noticed is that the DSP versions have different outputs than the non-DSP versions. In the case of the 1600 the DSP has a few more watts, but in the case of the 3000 the DSP version has fewer. Not a material difference, but just struck me as odd.
      PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
      Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
      www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

Yeah, the active processing is not done in dsp on the base units. It still does have a x-over feature.
        -

Comment

Main reason for going with the IPR1600DSP is that it has a HPF which the base model does not. Those little subs really need an ~45Hz HPF to maximize their output and life. I really despise all these cheap amps coming out with an active crossover but no HPF - sucky engineering IMO .

Comment

No sir John. I am sure you are measuring dc resistance. This is not the same as impedance. Before assuming the manufacturer doesn't know the difference, you might do a search on impedance to learn more about the subject.

My recommendation of ~1.5x the rms or continuous rating still stands.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Hi Again

The retailer has loaned me a Peavey IPR1600 (not the DSP) and I'm going to use it tonight - albeit in a small room. I have a couple of options.

As suggested earlier in the thread, I could use one channel to power the linked subs and the other channel to run the linked tops, utilising the hi/low pass filters.

Or I could use it as normal with the tops/subs linked on each channel.

Any advantage one over the other?

To be perfectly honest, I'm blown away by the size and weight of these things, I may just buy two of them and use one for the tops and one for the subs. I believe I wouldn't have to buy another crossover as the one in the amps is about 100hz for the tops? Surely then I would have all bases covered?

I really appreciate all your replies - Thank you.

Have a Happy New Year.

John
              Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

You are one dumb cünt and you seriously need to ****************ing shut up, go away and reconsider your existence

Originally Posted by niceguy

No matter the guitar, a G chord is a G chord. One guitar cannot play notes that another cannot play. They all play the same damn notes.

My Gear:
              Mania VH 300 (Gibson 335 copy)
              Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
              A strap
              Some picks
              A cheap gig bag
              And a tuner
              Th Th Th That's all folks!

Comment

If you not playing "live" instruments and running tracks (disco from memory) assuming you want two separate audio channels because the tracks are in stereo? If so then your solution (one channel to tops, one channel to bottoms) would not seem logical as you will be running mono. Would 95 % of the people listening know? Probably not but to me if it's a stereo track it was meant to be heard in stereo.

Comment

Reread your post. You are a solo performer running background tracks for x? if those tracks are in mono you could certainly run one channel to tops and one channel to subs. If no DSP I don't think those subs are going to sound as intended going from personal experience. In that case I'd go from amp to sub to top for each channel.

Comment

That had crossed my mind and was my basis for purchasing two amps if I need to. I didn't want to go that route, but given the light weight, small size and not having to use a separate cross-over it's a viable option. The 2 amps and the 4u shallow ABS case come in at about 11kg for the lot. It's nothing! My existing single amp weighs 60% more than that uncased.

I do mobile discos. ( I just edited 'cos of the above reply)

As asked earlier in this thread - How do the speakers sound? They are great, even when linked like I have been using them. I would imagine they become even better bi-amped. They are a little heavy at 32kg for the subs and 17kg for the tops but are made of wood and are very compact. You don't get huge bass and ear-ringing highs but the bass is punchy and tops are lovely and smooth. Very little eq is required. With CD and MP3 (via laptop) using a very modest Citronic CDM 10:4 Mk4 mixer, I usually have the top and mid at 12 'clock (flat) and the bass around 2' oclock. This covers just about all venues I do with maybe a tiny bit of tweaking one way or the other. For small to medium halls (depending on acoustics) they are fine. For karaoke/disco or a solo act these are great if you want the sub/sat look. I have powered 15s for other options but they don't look nice on tripods in posh venues. They are supposed to have a max spl of around 127db ish but I suppose it's how the manufacturer decided to calculate spl on the day and which direction the wind was blowing at the time.

I do love the compact size and the space they take up in the car though!

John
                    Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

You are one dumb cünt and you seriously need to ****************ing shut up, go away and reconsider your existence

Originally Posted by niceguy

No matter the guitar, a G chord is a G chord. One guitar cannot play notes that another cannot play. They all play the same damn notes.

My Gear:
                    Mania VH 300 (Gibson 335 copy)
                    Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
                    A strap
                    Some picks
                    A cheap gig bag
                    And a tuner
                    Th Th Th That's all folks!

Comment

The performance will be better biamped.

IMO the whole stereo issue of the tracks is minor compare with the benefit of biamping on your sub/top setup.

This assumed that you are properly summing the 2 track channels to mono.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Working...
                      X