Dance floor is slooowly moving away from the band

• Members

I'm at a corp party with a disco band playing. The stage is an odd size of 24x8 and there's a dance floor up against is of 24x24. At the start of the night it was up against the stage with a couple of inches in between. I have a dual 18 on its side dead center.

Into second set and the dance floor have moved about 4" away from the band. We are on the 2nd floor and maybe the building is slightly tilted. I dunno. Seems weird I have to pull the sub back 6".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska View Post
I'm at a corp party with a disco band playing. The stage is an odd size of 24x8 and there's a dance floor up against is of 24x24. At the start of the night it was up against the stage with a couple of inches in between. I have a dual 18 on its side dead center.

Into second set and the dance floor have moved about 4" away from the band. We are on the 2nd floor and maybe the building is slightly tilted. I dunno. Seems weird I have to pull the sub back 6".
Not to sound like Wynn, but I see this happen when FOH is too loud. Oh wait a minute... the Dance floor moved? Not the dancers on the floor, but the floor? ...does this have anything to do with pot now being legal in WA?

• Members

I'd say if you got them dancing agressivly enough to move the whole dance floor, you're doing your job well (as long as there were no complaints). Not sure why you moved your subs (I doubt this is why the floor moved and sonicly it would make little difference with a sub).

Was it portable stage? Are you sure the stage didn't move rather than the dance floor? Think of Einstein's theory of relativity smile.gif

• Members

It was 4x4 sections of dance floor laid out 6x6. There was nice event ballroom carpet underneath. They danced, foh power was only a yamaha p5000 with ch1 sub and ch2 ev sx300 tops. I figure about 750w on the dual 18 and 375w on the tops. I was close to running out of power but really there was never a flicker of the limiter lights.

• Members

A number of years ago, I worked at a hotel which had a portable dance-floor that could be set up in different reception rooms of the hotel. Basically, it was comprised of interlocking hardwood sections, complete with edge-trim. Once it was laid down, it looked and felt like a permanent hardwood dance-floor. It could be set-up or taken down very quickly. I don't recall if there was an attached under-padding, or anti-skid surface, to prevent it from moving.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzie

View Post

Bobby, thats what I was thinking. We have them around here. I can't even begin to think how much it would take to move a 24X24 dance floor once its set. Even if it was on another hard surface! That's 576 sq ft of surface area.

Hard to say without seeing it. If the floor surface under the portable dance-floor was carpeted, the carpet has a certain lay to the fibres (nap???), That could cause the hardwood floor to "walk", sorta like the manner in which a snake uses its' ribs to move forward. Add weight to the dance-floor, and the carpet fibers lay down in one direction. Step off the floor, and the fibers rise in one direction, pulling the floor sections along with them.

Archived