01V dual-mix patching/routing advice needed

• Members

I need advice from you experienced people out there. This is a performance of Handel's Messiah, and here's the planned setup:
2 soloist mics
2 choir mics
2 orchestra mics
1 piano mic
Main hall that doesn't need much reinforcement and connected overflow hall that needs some of everything, with delay.

My initial plan was to just route the soloist and piano mics to the main hall mix. After listening to a rehearsal the piano doesn't need anything there and many of the soloists are OK but a couple could use help. But there are a couple numbers where some of the choir could use a boost.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Initially I was planning on routing every channel to both layers (using 1-7 and 17-23), sending layer 1 to the stereo bus for the main hall and layer 2 to bus 1 for the overflow. (Or using the user-assignable layer with both the inputs and the bus so I could control that mix with one layer.)

But then I realized that if a soloist needed a boost in one mix they would also need it in the other mix. At first I thought about pairing the channels, but then I realized that would more or less be the same as sending the same input to both mixes. And I thought that if I got the initial overall balance between mixes right, it might work. Is that too crazy/risky?

Or I could route mic 1 to inputs 1&2, mic 2 to inputs 3&4, etc, so I could easily change both mixes at once but still have individual flexibility.

Of course, I can't do both mixes from one location very well so I'm not sure how well this will all work. I was going to try to set up a remote computer but not sure I'll have time.

So what do you recommend? Thanks very much!

• Members

How about a mix of PRE & POST fader aux mix to the other room. Assign the channels you're sending to the main room as post and everything else pre. That way you can get a Main room mix and then get an overflow room mix setup. Only the faders you change will follow up and down in the aux and you can leave the other channel faders (the rest of the orchestra) down (yet still send them to the overflow crowd). Every aux send of EVERY CHANNEL is assignable as pre/post with an 01V (there's also an aux global button for a quicker setup). Another advantage is that if you felt you did need a little extra of something (lets say a light woodwind section) in the main room, you could bring it into the mix via fader and still leave the aux mix unaffected.

Do you have a good way of monitoring this aux mix? I'd recommend at least a set of headphones to stay in the ballpark.

cheers

• Members

Thanks. This is an all volunteer event; my wife is singing in it. I should have gotten another person, but I wasn't thinking we were going to need the overflow area. But they want me to be prepared. But given that there will be significant acoustic sound, and the overflow probably won't be filled too far back, I'm not too concerned. I'll monitor the mix via headphones, but I should be able to walk around during non-solo numbers.

This mixer has a lot of capability. I like the ability to use the faders for the aux levels, and I can put delay on them as well. So I think that'll work.

• Members

I ran the main mix to the overflow room, sent the main room inputs to aux 1-2 (paired), switched monitor mode to post fader, and set up layer 4 with inputs 1-8 on faders 1-8 and aux 1 on fader 16 right next to the main mix fader. I forgot to route the effects to the main room (auxes) though, but there was enough natural reverb it wasn't a big deal. It all worked OK, had to walk around about to get the levels right, but it sure is better to just control one mix from the right position.

Archived