Great Peavey Impulse 12D price

• Members

I came across Peavey Impulse 12D speakers for $377 at Amazon with free shipping and thought I'd share. I'd love to hear them, but just can't justify the purchase. Originally these were $799 MAP I believe. They had a botched launch with a good bit of quality issues about a year ago and I haven't really heard much about them since. They now MAP for $599. I'm not sure if they are being discontinued or not, but they are still available most places at that $599 price and Peavey uses a picture of the speaker on their "speakers" product page.

Anyway, provided they hold up they'd be a steal for a band looking for decent FOH speakers for a smallish rig at an entry level price.

UPDATE - the price is now $511 with 3 left (there were 5). So someone snagged a good price.

• Members

I got a quick demo of the Impulse 12Ds in store last year. They sounded very good and hi-fi although they seemed a little mid scooped at lower levels. (that might have had to do with the settings though). Wasn't able to get them very loud as this store sucks when it comes to trying stuff out. They have never let me borrow ANYTHING either, why I generally stick with my regular dealer. The12Ds are nice and compact though and have a nice mixer section. I recall reading about issues with this mixer section and overall QC. Bleeding channels, buttons that don't work properly etc.. There were also some thermal failures when they were first released, but I believe this has been resolved. At the Amazon price, they are a steal though. The sound reminded me of my NX55Ps with not quite as much deep low frequency extension, but a nice, smooth and warm sound overall. Really easy on the ears and hi-fi is how I could best describe them given the little time I had to listen to them...

Al

• Members

Yeah, isn't it interesting how some speakers never get the time of day- I don't recall anyone seriously auditioning or trying out these speakers on this forum, and yet they're solidly in the m.i. category of quality speakers like the prx/k/dsr/etc. lines are.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Yeah, isn't it interesting how some speakers never get the time of day- I don't recall anyone seriously auditioning or trying out these speakers on this forum, and yet they're solidly in the m.i. category of quality speakers like the prx/k/dsr/etc. lines are.
The rollout was botched. Slow to make it to market after announcement and supposed availability (a regular Peavey thing is seems) then it was plagued with quality issues, at least that's what made it's way around the web. For every postive comment about the sound there are 4 mine blew up, didn't work out of the box, didn't have the baffling it was supposed to, had loose connections, etc stories. Some people were on their 3rd delivery still trying to find ones that worked. Most of those were from a year ago, but maybe the damage was done. They obviously aren't selling as the original MAP price was at least $200 more than it is now.

Usually when MAP drops by 30% on something they are on their way out the door. I see no official "discontinued" copy anywhere but I have seen it on at least one online retailer. I just can't tell if the announcement is for the retailer discontinuing the item or if Peavey has. It's still on the Peavey page as an active item.

I just have to wonder about the ribbon driver high end. It seems fancy and all, and I am interested in hearing it, but if it were really "better" in practice it wouldn't be the only box on the market and it wouldn't have taken until post 2010 to get it there. There has to be a significant downside. My guess is it's in lack of throw. It has the same ribbon as the Versarray, but only one versus two of them in a single 12" Versarray box.

UPDATE - the price is now $511 with 3 left (there were 5). So someone snagged a good price.

• Members

I have had mine for about 18 months. These are now my regular main speakers for most gigs. I used to use Italian (RCF) made Mackie SRM450's. (Which I still have) With no EQ, the 450's sounded a little "warmer", but the 12D's have a little more power. The 12D's are also much lighter than my old 450's. (I can't really put "warmer" into objective terms, but I know it when I hear it.)

• Members

I agree with Abzurd.

When I was looking for and auditioning speakers, I was very interested in these speakers. I would gladly have "given them the time of day", but there were none to be found even though they were "launched".

Even after I settled on my DSR112's (another speaker that doesn't get much credit either), I tried to audition the 12D's and couldn't. I finally found a GC that USED to have one and got a 2nd hand report from one of the staff (said he liked the DSR, KW and PRX better).

• Members

Abzurd wrote:

I just have to wonder about the ribbon driver high end. It seems fancy and all, and I am interested in hearing it, but if it were really "better" in practice it wouldn't be the only box on the market and it wouldn't have taken until post 2010 to get it there. There has to be a significant downside. My guess is it's in lack of throw.
SteveMaude2 wrote:
I have had mine for about 18 months. These are now my regular main speakers for most gigs. I used to use Italian (RCF) made Mackie SRM450's. (Which I still have) With no EQ, the 450's sounded a little "warmer", but the 12D's have a little more power. The 12D's are also much lighter than my old 450's. (I can't really put "warmer" into objective terms, but I know it when I hear it.)
@ SteveMaude2: and what about the throw of the tweeter?

Archived