Using Ipad as mixer for small gigs?

• Members

Most of the gigs I play are solo-duet acoustic shows for a meal, free sodas, and relatively meager wages. I usually use a Presonus SL 16.0.2 through two QSC K12 mains. The SL sounds great for us just using the factory presets with a very little tweaking at each gig.

But I'd love to find an even smaller "rig" to replace the SL. I'm old, have a cranky back, and the SL is overkill for my gig needs. I already have an Ipad 2 that's loaded with Auria. I've read and seen on YouTube that it might be possible to just use Auria with an audio interface as a live mixing set up on the Ipad.

Anyone else done this for actual live gigs mixing while playing?

It'd be sweet to use the Ipad like this as long as I'd have the same sound quality and signal processing available as on the SL (i.e., Compressor, Gate, EQ, and some good reverb and delays).

I tend to get everything set before we start, and then just sorta tighten it up between the first few songs. Then I don't touch the mix again other than muting between sets.

All suggestions are appreciated - well with the exception of buying a compact analog mixer. Tried that last year, and they just can't hold a candle to sounding as good as the SL. And I need all the help I can get at sounding better.

I'm aware of the Mackie DL1608, but wondered what other options are out "there."

• Members
http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-1818VSL

This.

But

You would still need a laptop & router. Or Mac mini and a router.

But

You could mount it all into a 2 space ATA case.

Drop the case on stage. Run your mics to the front, patch into the rear. Fire up the comp and you're good to go. 8XLR in 3 sets of stereo pairs out & the mains.

thumb.gif

• Members

My advice, you have the SL, use it. It's small and convienent with all you need built in and a real mixer in case the ipad connection fails you at some point, and from my experience it likely will.

IMO, anything less that what you're doing now it pretty much the point of diminishing return.

• Members

Peter, I think you are way overthinking this. The 16.0.2 SL mixer is probably the lightest part of your rig. lol Why look to ditch that for these gigs? I mean, if you tell me that the 41 pounds each K12's are too heavy, carting them around and putting them way up on stands, I can sort of understand that. But your mixer is compact and a mere 20 pounds. I bet my female vocalist could carry that under her arm while carrying one of the K12's by the handle with her other hand.

I cannot, for one second, imagine how this tiny little 16 channel mixer would put a strain on your aching back, particularly since you seem all right with the K12's and presumably are awkwardly putting them up on high stands.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pater Familias View Post
But I'd love to find an even smaller "rig" to replace the SL. ............... Anyone else done this for actual live gigs mixing while playing?

It'd be sweet to use the Ipad like this as long as I'd have the same sound quality and signal processing available as on the SL (i.e., Compressor, Gate, EQ, and some good reverb and delays).

I tend to get everything set before we start, and then just sorta tighten it up between the first few songs. Then I don't touch the mix again other than muting between sets.

I'm aware of the Mackie DL1608, but wondered what other options are out "there."
Lots of people are starting to use the Ipad for what you're describing (I haven't made the leap yet and probably won't) and my reply is somewhat contrary to the direction you going BUT :
I'm doing something similar with a Line6 Pod X3 bean.
It's small, has 2 inputs (one balanced and one unbalanced), has two 1/4" outputs, and has dedicated full effects processing for each input/output. I don't even soundcheck, the levels stay the same but I DO have to eq the FOH before starting (monitors and foh are done in 5 minuetes). The effects and processing are more than useable. It's works great for MY application.

the pros are : It has zero potential to freeze or lock-up or not be charged.
the cons are : it's not designed as a mixer, if you HAVE to make a change there is a
menu to navigate before you can make adjustments....which (come to
think of it) is the same design all the newer digital boards have (you
have to click and click and THEN turn a knob).

my routing is :

vocal ~> xlr in ~> gate ~>preamp ~> eq ~> comp ~> delay~> reverb ~> 1/4" right out into Radial ProD2 right

guitar ~> 1/4" in ~> gate~>preamp ~> eq~> reverb ~> 1/4" right out into Radial ProD2 right

iphone(loops) ~> Radial ProD2 left

Radial ProD2 xlr out to house and monitors

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

I'm of the opinion that a presonus is way overkill for a duo gig with only a few inputs. What about a compact mixer like the A&H zed something? When I do a small gig like that usually the mixer is mackie 1202 sized.

It's the 1602 though not the bigger brothers. It's 15.5" by 16"..... And he already owns it. Also the point is to maintain ipad control.

• Members

I agree with Abzurd and doubt your gonna find a differnt product to configure that can beat your exsisting rig. The VSL 1818 could work but as mentioned you gotta have a computer and router and you never know when your computer might have a hicup.

• Members

View Post

I'm of the opinion that a presonus is way overkill for a duo gig with only a few inputs. What about a compact mixer like the A&H zed something? When I do a small gig like that usually the mixer is mackie 1202 sized.

I would agree that buying this mixer for his existing project is overkill, but since he already has one, why spend more money? He has this awesome, amazing sounding mixer already. it is compact, easy to use, and will do the jo great.

• Members

View Post

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

It's the 1602 though not the bigger brothers. It's 15.5" by 16"..... And he already owns it. Also the point is to maintain ipad control.

and,,,,,,,,,,, to maintain the processing and routing that you won't find on the small (ex; 4 channel) mixers.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

What about the smaller Mackie iPad based mixer? It's smaller, lighter, cheaper, and may be a better choice (assuming it works reliably and you can get passed the silly marketing).

Starting with nothing I would agree that would be a fine path, but $1000 to essentially make a sideways move. I dunno, it just seems silly to me. It's 15 1/2" by 11 1/2" so not really all that much smaller either.

• Members

It doesn't get much more compact, lightweight, and easy to use than the DL 1608. I am using mine regularly while playing with band and FOH mixing jobs. No problems with reliability so far. The price and functionality its hard to beat IMO.

This weekend I will be playing drums and mixing monitors for the band and one of my mixing techs will be using his I Pad to run FOH. Love the versatility of this mixer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

Starting with nothing I would agree that would be a fine path, but $1000 to essentially make a sideways move. I dunno, it just seems silly to me. It's 15 1/2" by 11 1/2" so not really all that much smaller either.

Actually, I agree with you. This does (seems to anyway) make the most sense but was rejected as too big for a duo (???)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Actually, I agree with you. This does (seems to anyway) make the most sense but was rejected as too big for a duo (???)

Agreed. I have to restate that it seems absurd to pour MORE MONEY into an acoustic duo when they have more than what they need already. I would get it if the OP was talking about not wanting to cart around the mains or if the mixer was some mammoth sized apparatus that it would get in the way of the gig. But we are talking about a small, light, easy to use mixer that the OP already owns.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pater Familias View Post
. I've read and seen on YouTube that it might be possible to just use Auria with an audio interface as a live mixing set up on the Ipad.
I haven't tried it ... but the spec says a class 2 USB interface. What are your I/O requirements?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Except for missing eq, monitor mix, etc...
Think his Auria mixer app has dynamics and effects and just needed the class 2 usb interface.
Now the question will the Auria mixer recognize the Shure class 2 interface ? and how well it will work together?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twostone View Post
Think his Auria mixer app has dynamics and effects and just needed the class 2 usb interface.
Now the question will the Auria mixer recognize the Shure class 2 interface ? and how well it will work together?
I was referring specifically to the Shure mixer, the class 2 mention has nothing to do with USB. I wouldn't imagine that it would work at all.

• Members

OP here, and I appreciate all the responses.

I'm currently trying to sell my QSC K12s so I can replace them with a pair of K10s. That'll not only save me 10 lbs per speaker, but make them easier to store and transport.

Regarding the Presonus, it is overkill. But I was waiting for 8 months to get one of the new Mackie DL1608, but they never would release the damn thing. Finally ran out of time in August when I had to have a mixer for an outdoor gig for a full bluegrass band. So I just said screw it and went with my second option of the 16.0.2. Kept thinking maybe I'd return the Presonus if Sweetwater ever got the Mackie in, but my return period finally ran out.

I know the Mackie would basically be a lateral move, but it is slightly smaller and I think I'd get along with the interface better than the Presonus. I'm embarassed to admit I forget how to do some things on the Presonus in between gigs cause I can't remember the damn steps.

I just thought before I sold my mixer and bought the Mackie I'd see if anyone had come up with an even more compact set up with the same amount of processing and sound quality - neither of which a small analog mixer like the A&H Zed 10 has (owned one last year).

Yes, I'm not that old and not that down in the back, but if I can reduce the relative size of my rig by just 15-20% for a couple hundred bucks it'd be worth it to me.

My ideal rig would be a cabinet that I could roll into a gig, pop off the top to access the mixer and remove two K10 (or equitable speakers of another brand) and my cables from underneath for setting up on the tripods.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but so was the guy that invented the bicycle, car, etc.icon_lol.gif

Archived