X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
    View Post

Have yo considered that if a powered speaker fails, you can replace that as well?

well , I feel like you can if you got another powered speaker there , but if you dont have a replacement there at the event then what do you do? I may be wrong about it but i dont know . Thats all i know.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman717
      View Post

well , I feel like you can if you got another powered speaker there , but if you dont have a replacement there at the event then what do you do? I may be wrong about it but i dont know . Thats all i know.

Will you have another PA speaker if one fails? You're using behringer power amps a company known for failures.

Comment

I
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
        Hate is like taking poison, hoping the other guy gets sick.

How above being tricked are you? Take the test
        ---->
        HERE

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
          View Post

Will you have another PA speaker if one fails? You're using behringer power amps a company known for failures.

Yes i have enough PA speakers that if the problem probably arose I would have enough to get me through a night.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman717
            View Post

I know powered stuff is pretty much the way to go on here , but i just don't like using them , because if one goes out on you then you are out a speaker and amp together, where as if you use the passive stuff, if something goes out on you, either the amp or a cab, then you can replace either one. That's the only reason that i don't like using them.

I have used both. Both my passive and active systems are/were upper MI grade equipment so the reliability should be comparable.

My passive system was 2 Klipsch KP301 (3-way 15") tops over 2 Cerwin Vega LR36 folded horns powered by a Crown K2 on the bottom and a QSC PLX3002 on top, cross-over with a DBX Drive Rack PA. This system was used for ~10 years.

My active system is Yamaha DSR112's over JBL PRX618S-XLF's. I have no external amps, no external cross-over (built into the subs). My drummer has a backup set of speakers (Cerwin Vega powered) should we need it (never have). I have been using this system for about 2 years.

My passive system failed 2 times. I blew one sub and one tweeter. My digital cross-over never failed, but I spent the better part of a year figuring out how to make my FOH sound good.

My active system has never failed. I have better sound now than I had with my passive system, and it is MUCH easier to carry. All I ever had to do to make it sound good was to plug it in and turn it on.

The truth is, I could play many of the places I play with only one top and one sub if I had to. The probability that I would lose both subs or both tops seems remote in the extreme.

Have you had a chance to hear any of these speakers compared to your intended ELX112? It might be enlightening if you did.

In any case. Good luck in your decision!
            With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
              View Post

IMO, it's pretty close to as much power as those boxes can safely handle, ESPECIALLY if there is no high pass filter (or crossover) used on the tops. Maybe the "rated output" of the amp is "optimistic" which would work in your favor (ie. less is better).

In my experience the behringer out is optimistic.

A band I used to work with fairly often bought 2 ev Eliminator double 18 cabs and 2 behringer ep2500's and were running one amp per box bridged mono. The amps would start clipping before I could get anywhere near the amount of low end I needed. I brought out one of our plx3602's one night and ran the amp in parallel with a cab on each channel. The subs came to life and I only tickled the clip lights a few times the entire night. I expected a difference, but not that much of one. It was night and day.

Comment

Working...
              X