Dumb wiring question....piggybacking banana plugs.

• Members

Probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway.

I know that if I piggyback two banana plugs into an amp properly the speakers will be in parallel. What happens if I piggyback the plugs the wrong way with one plug reversed? Would that result in the speakers being wired in series or will it result in some kind of disaster?

• Members

When reversed the two speakers will be out phase with one another. This explains it rather well and gives some examples:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

While it's often said that no damage will come from this, damage often occurs as the user tries to get more bass from speakers that are playing out of phase, through the use of extreme eq'ing and added volume.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gruven65 View Post
How would one "piggyback" banana plugs properly? Why would you do it that way when you can easily run a cable from cabinet to cabinet and not have to worry about whether or not you reversed the banana plug?
By properly I mean piggybacking them so the + of one goes into the + of the other, and - goes into - so the speakers end up wired in parallel. We would do it that way if we have two banana cables and don't have a 1/4" to 1/4" cable to run from one speaker cab to the other. Or several other reasons why we may not be able to or want to do it that way.

I'm just trying to figure out what happens if we reverse one of the cables.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001

View Post

I'm just trying to figure out what happens if we reverse one of the cables.

You end up with your speaker phase reversed. Instead of both speakers pushing outward, the one with the reversed cable will be pulling inward.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gruven65 View Post
Why would you do it that way when you can easily run a cable from cabinet to cabinet and not have to worry about whether or not you reversed the banana plug?
Banana plugs (sometimes called Pomona plugs) are just an older method of connecting speakers. They could handle high enough(at the time) current and were relatively inexpensive. They are not a good choice for portable systems these days as they allow for simple mistakes. Of course there are times when flipping polarity is a good thing

Using terms like "piggyback" and not technically concise and can result in mis-communication (like "daisy-chained") as pointed out in your first question. It will serve you well to learn when something is series wired or parallel wired and then use that term.

• Members

Out of phase is true but actually 180 degrees difference in phase.
Polarity reversal is what you are doing with the described connection.
You do not want to do this with cabinets operating in the same bandwidth.
What you experience is cancelation.
I guess you could call it a sonic disaster depending on how serious you are about your sound.

Archived