Yamaha O1V'S

• Members

A Pair of Yamaha O1V'S are available in my area for $800. ($400 each) Been wanting to get rid of my Yamaha MG32/14FX for something smaller and this looks like it might be a good fit and if I had two I could link them if neccessary for more channels.

Sound Like a good price if everythings in good shape for those of you who have used 01V'S?

• Members

The 01v although not an 01v96 is a good package. It does have another layer for another 8 channels but those are somewhat limited in eq/processing.
With a total of 24 xlr inputs and 4 effects processors ( 2 in each board ) you'd have a good rig. You could use 1 board just for the Drums and have the effects processor setup in it just for that and use the other for the rest of the band. You would have the drum board go into channels 15/16 on the other board and use it as the Master. I believe my 01v96 has 1.4 ms delay time from input to output. You could add that to each channel on the "Master" board if needed.

If they are in good shape $400 each is about the going rate. Try them before you buy.

I do know a very good friend of mine has one. He is blind and I did an audio tape for him of all the functions and I kept thinking this is close to my 01v96 in layout and not a bad desk. I still think from time to time about getting one for a "Drum" desk to submix to my 01v96.
If both desk have adat cards you could link them via adat and stay digital until the outputs.
Manual
http://ems.music.utexas.edu/docs/01VE.pdf
Review
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul9...es/yam01v.html

Dookietwo

• Members

Here is how Yamaha suggests to cascade the two consoles:

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/...two_01v_mixers

I can't remember since I haven't owned an 01v in awhile but I imagine you could do the same thing just doing the patch through the ADAT cards. That would however limit your channel count through ADAT since you would eat up some doing that.

• Members

A timely thread.

I'm kicking around a digital mixer to replace our PA rack and ease the load on our aging backs. Money is an issue, so an 01V might fit the bill. But I don't know much about it; from the SOS article it looks like it was introduced around '95, but I don't know when it went out of production. I'd be concerned with depending on a piece of equipment that's potentially 15 years old or so, especially a digital/computer device. Are they still able to be serviced/parts available?

• Members

If you can find one in working condition they are generally pretty bulletproof. Mine get used every weekend year around and I bought both of mine when they were over 10 years old. That's the beautiful thing about those boards.....they are pretty rock solid and the design has all of the kinks worked out.

• Members

As long as they are in good working order it sounds like a decent deal. As with most Yamaha gear the 01V is very reliable. I have one that I bought used back in 2000. Admitedly it has not been OTR but rather in a studio BUT it has been on 24/7 (except for power outages & occasional vacations) since it was bought. It has had 1 repair performed (a simple known grounding issue inside) but otherwise has performed flawlessly. I have the ADAT expansion card and use that link to drive another firewire device for extra channels. It also handles monitoring distro from several different sources. I still see a lot of them (the original 20 bit models) used in various rigs that come through.

Great boards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Does anyone know how to determine the age/manufacture date? I'm looking at a couple on ebay; one has a serial number like OM02800 . I googled around but could find anything regarding serial numbers for the 01V. If parts could be a problem for an early unit, I'd like to avoid one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
Does anyone know how to determine the age/manufacture date? I'm looking at a couple on ebay; one has a serial number like OM02800 . I googled around but could find anything regarding serial numbers for the 01V. If parts could be a problem for an early unit, I'd like to avoid one.
I don't know about the 01v but my 01v96 shows the manufacture date on boot up. Maybe contact the ebay seller and ask if the date on it shows up on turn on?

Dookietwo

• Members

Thanks guys. I heard back from one ebay seller; board manufactured in 2000 with latest firmware (1.06). Thanks for the tip.

Andy, I'll call Yamaha support; hadn't thought of that.

I also saw elsewhere that there was a problem early versions having to do with a ground problem 'after the board was impacted on the right side'. Later versions had a different circuit board and early versions had a fix by adding a ground wire. So I'll know to look for that.

Thanks again.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dookietwo View Post
I don't know about the 01v but my 01v96 shows the manufacture date on boot up. Maybe contact the ebay seller and ask if the date on it shows up on turn on?

Dookietwo
Is this the date of manufacture, or the revision date for the software/OS?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Is this the date of manufacture, or the revision date for the software/OS?
Manufacture as far as I know. I've booted up other boards that have said 2004 or 20005 with the same OS. There has only been 4 different OS / software updates.
01v96
01v96V2
01v96VCM
Then the hardware and Software update of the 01v96I. Its a loaded board but yamaha doesn't seem to do many updates to it.
An IPad version of the Studio Manager software is really needed. I understand if its not broke don't fix it and they are selling a lot of them but it is time for something new. A 24 channel or a 16 channel with full 16 XLR inputs. The line 1/4 inch in jacks do work with a microphone connected (the jacks are rated to 600 ohms) but it works best with higher level Drum type inputs and of course its a PITA to have to use the adaptors. Dragging a outboard adat preamp for just a few channels sometimes is more hassel than worth.
Great board but time marches on.

Dookietwo

Edit: I have a friend who has a newer one. I sent him an email to confirm that the year does indeed change. (I hate to think I was looking at a LS9-32 , it has been awhile)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman

View Post

I also saw elsewhere that there was a problem early versions having to do with a ground problem 'after the board was impacted on the right side'. Later versions had a different circuit board and early versions had a fix by adding a ground wire. So I'll know to look for that.

Don't let it scare you off. It literaly is a ground strap from one board to the chassis. You can use any wire and a couple of crimp on eyes and be done in about 1/2 hour (very easy boards to work on - everything is labeled and laid out well). I used the screws that held down another board for the ground connection (piece of cake).

Archived