A pair of AKG 702's are on their way here. Headphone amp recommendations ????

• Members

Hi Guys,

I picked up a new set of cans earlier this week; a pair of AKG 702's. They're open-backed cans, and I'll be using those mostly for casual listening, and possibly for mixing recordings. I've got a pair of Senn HD-280 Pro's for tracking, and for live mix-monitoring. The AKG 702's are 62 Ohm cans, while the HD-280 Pro's are 64 Ohms.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried using my HD-280 Pro's with my Soundcraft Notepad 124FX, and was very disappointed by the noise generated through that circuit. I've yet to try them with my larger boards.

I'm probably going to need a headphone amp, if I'm going to use the AKG's for listening to music, or watching movies on TV, and was wondering if any of you folks have found something with decent quality sound. Ordinarily, I would have hooked up an audio-out from my TV, into the 124 FX, and used that board for listening, but since that's not working out, and since I don't want to be unplugging my EFX-8 and transferring it from the band-practice room, to the family room to watch TV, I figured a reasonably compact headphone amp might be the way to go. As long as it's quiet, with decent power to drive these cans, I'll be happy. I've got a 6-outlet Rane headphone amp, but I'd like something much more compact, but it has to be "clean".

• Members

Nobody using headphones for listening to TV? CD's?

I've been using a set of wireless headphones for the bedroom TV, for close to 20 years. Those work very well, and for several reasons. I can listen without disturbing my sweety, and, I have a much easier time hearing dialogue. Those wireless cans are by JVC. I wanted something with better audio-quality, for listening to music shows on TV.

• Members

I've got a Rane 6-channel headphone amp, so I'll give that a whirl tomorrow night. This'll also give me the chance of plugging into the EFX-8's headphone jack.

I've been researching headphone amps on Gearslutz, and Head-Fi, and there seems to be some strong performing but reasonably priced units available, for roughly $150.-$250. depending on the quality of the DAC used. Brands like Fiio, JDS-Labs, O2 (Objective2), Matrix M-Stage, Fire Phoenix, etc. I've got a lot of research to do, so it'll take a while before I take the plunge.

One thing I like about these new cans, they have a flat cable (not spiral cord), with a mini-XLR connector/jack. There's lots of aftermarket cables available, so that'll come in handy. The included cable is 10 ft, but I'd also like to get a 20 footer. The cans are very light-weight and comfortable. Made in Austria.

• Members

I just wear my Shure Ear Buds when I want head phones.

I hate anythng that says behringer on it - but I actually have a behringer headphone amp (4 channel) - that actually used to "work" relatively well - with low noise as I recall. We've been doing a little bit of recording lately - and I thought abut breakng it out again - but so far we haven't had to.

I - ah - "care" about your experience - I just don't really have "much" to share on the subject. But I'm wishing you well - that's for sure!!

• Members

Thks Rbts'

I'm not really sure how I'll use these 'phones yet; and I've got to sort that out before choosing the right headphone-amp. A lot of the amps I've looked at, have a single input,,, and it's most often a digital input. My 6 channel Rane HC-6 doesn't have a digital input. I don't own an iPod, but I'm thinking about getting one, and that may determine whether I want a desktop or portable headphone amp, or maybe both.

Supposedly, these AKG 702's are a bit hard to drive in order to get the best performance out of them, hence the possible need for an amp.

• Members

I think I'm going to look at this a little differently; what I need more than anything else, is an interface that would allow me to connect the headphone-amp to various analogue and digital devices. I tried searching for a universal audio interface, and wouldn't ya know it, all I found was interfaces from the company named "Universal Audio",,,,,facepalm.gif

Archived