Audiopile DUS speakers

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams
    View Post

Andy. Does that mean you find the Impulse comparable to MXR? You made a comment about the DUS being on par with MXR

Do you mean MRX?

Yes, similar though the weight of the MDF is heavier. Sensitivity is within a dB or so, and power handling is about a dB shy as well (using my normalization to real world).

If you are in the area, give me a call and you can play around with them.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
      View Post

Do you mean MRX?

Yes, similar though the weight of the MDF is heavier. Sensitivity is within a dB or so, and power handling is about a dB shy as well (using my normalization to real world).

I used to live in Mountain View, but I am now in CO which is a bit far or I would take you up on that offer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
        View Post

Do you mean MRX?

I used to live in Mountain View, but I am now in CO which is a bit far or I would take you up on that offer

Comment

^ Great test LOL. Dunno what the market is for passive monitors these days, especially ones only rated at 225W. While I'm sure they can get plenty loud enough things have gotten crazy out there - a general contractor with "only" a pair of "wimpy" IPR1600 doesn't get taken seriously hereabouts. RMX2450's seem to be the minimum with the hard rockers. Is that crazy or what? We had no problem in the bad old days destroying our hearing with a couple CS800's on the PA and a CS400 on monitors (100 watts per monitor) .

Comment

^ Great test LOL. Dunno what the market is for passive monitors these days, especially ones only rated at 225W. While I'm sure they can get plenty loud enough things have gotten crazy out there - a general contractor with "only" a pair of "wimpy" IPR1600 doesn't get taken seriously hereabouts. RMX2450's seem to be the minimum with the hard rockers. Is that crazy or what? We had no problem in the bad old days destroying our hearing with a couple CS800's on the PA and a CS400 on monitors (100 watts per monitor) .

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
              View Post

Because people do not understand how the numbers work. Period.

A box that's a realistic (as in average, with the response in the +/-3dB range) 96dB/1W/1M, rated at a realistic power handling of 225 watts continuous (based on power compression curves) will compete quite well with many of today's exaggerated marketing claims. Powered at 350 watts (reasonable given the way the continuous power is rated, with proper HPF) is going to be pretty impressive. Folks do not understand the loss of sensitivity tradeoff that's made when trying to achieve higher numerical power handling. The point of diminishing returns bitch-slaps you time and time again in the design phase.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                View Post

A box that's a realistic (as in average, with the response in the +/-3dB range) 96dB/1W/1M, rated at a realistic power handling of 225 watts continuous (based on power compression curves) will compete quite well with many of today's exaggerated marketing claims. Powered at 350 watts (reasonable given the way the continuous power is rated, with proper HPF) is going to be pretty impressive. Folks do not understand the loss of sensitivity tradeoff that's made when trying to achieve higher numerical power handling. The point of diminishing returns bitch-slaps you time and time again in the design phase.

Comment

^ "Perception is Reality"

Comment

^ "Perception is Reality"

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                      View Post

Looking at some of the specs from BagEnd products, their wattage ratings (on some boxes) are astonishingly low but their efficiency ratings are very high.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

View Post

Looking at some of the specs from BagEnd products, their wattage ratings (on some boxes) are astonishingly low but their efficiency ratings are very high.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

View Post

Do you mean MRX?

Let me give JR a call and see when we can make a road trip.

Comment

View Post

Do you mean MRX?

Let me give JR a call and see when we can make a road trip.

Comment

• I have over the years been forced to look for hi sensitivity speakers.

Comment

• I have over the years been forced to look for hi sensitivity speakers.

Comment

Working...
                                X