Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Audiopile DUS speakers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts







  • Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
    View Post

    Nope, with bigger cheap amps it's too risky for speaker manufacturers. That's why we are seeing a shift back towards 8 ohm subs.




    I can't think of an amp that isn't stoopid expensive that would overpower a 4 ohm PRX418S ? Surely the 840W from an IPR3000 isn't too crazy for the 800w rated PRX418S ?

    "We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

    Comment








    • Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
      View Post

      I can't think of an amp that isn't stoopid expensive that would overpower a 4 ohm PRX418S ? Surely the 840W from an IPR3000 isn't too crazy for the 800w rated PRX418S ?




      Nope, but it's about right... And that's talking about a bottom-of-the market amp.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">-</div>

      Comment


      • The jbl 4ohm single 18 thing bugs me, just sayin.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.rock-bot.com" target="_blank">www.rock-bot.com</a><br />
        Live-Band-Karaoke<br />
        <br />
        bassist and sound reinforcement</div>

        Comment








        • Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
          View Post

          I can't think of an amp that isn't stoopid expensive that would overpower a 4 ohm PRX418S ? Surely the 840W from an IPR3000 isn't too crazy for the 800w rated PRX418S ?




          Without proper processing, I would hesitate to recommend 800+ watts into that driver.



          In fact, IIRC that driver's rating changed from 600 to 800 watts without any other changes. I reconed plenty when they were rated at 600 watts (from folks educated beyond their own intelligence), why would I expect any different with the new rating?



          Even with the proper processing, you are well into the power compression curve at 800 watts. That's the point of diminishing returns.

          Comment


          • ^ I was wondering where they got that 800w driver from without it being one of the differential drive ones. Kinda sad that more and more manufacturers are just making up their specs .

            "We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

            Comment








            • Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
              View Post

              ^ I was wondering where they got that 800w driver from without it being one of the differential drive ones. Kinda sad that more and more manufacturers are just making up their specs .




              Worse than that...



              The sample I saw had a 2242HPL, but it looks like they are now using a Selenium 18SWS1000W (varient) which is rated in Brazilian watts at 1000, but 800AES. IMO, the AES number is a new rating scale that only requires survival for 2 hours. Frankly, I would find a 2 hour lifespan to be impractical in the real world. With the Xmax that's specified, without the proper HPF you will exceed LF-Xmax well before 800 watts. With the proper HPF and limiting, I would recommend around 800-900 watts. Without, stick closer to 500 watts.

              Comment


              • Hmm...

                I see a 18SWS1100 with a 9.3mm xmax

                and a 18SWS800 with a 6.5mm xmax

                and also a 18SWS600 with a 3.8mm xmax ?



                But in any case quite weird that they aren't using a JBL driver .

                "We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

                Comment








                • Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                  View Post

                  But in any case quite weird that they aren't using a JBL driver .




                  http://www.jblselenium.com/marcas/home.php

                  Selenium is now JBL Selenium

                  Comment



                  Working...
                  X