JBL PRX Passive equivalent

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Koopdaddy View Post
What would you recommend as a passive speaker + amp combo that would equivalent in sound quality/output/price to the JBL PRX system?
I would say that for the subs, the PRX618S-XLF is equal to a properly powered and DSP'd SRX718. The base PRX618S is equal to a properly powered and DSP'd MRX518.

The PRX tops are more in line with the MRX speakers IMHO.

• Members

I assume that you are looking for PRX600 series performance in a passive speaker setup. You could get PRX400 series gear, stand-alone DSP, and a class D amp. With all due respect, even if you have the audio engineering chops to set the DSP as well as JBL's folks, you are not going to approach the economy of scale buying the cabinets, amp(s), and DSP gear in consumer quantities to match the 600 series pricing.

Until you have decided on how many of which speakers to get, you are probably going to have a tough time picking the optimal amp(s) for the rig. YMMV. Mark C.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
I would say that for the subs, the PRX618S-XLF is equal to a properly powered and DSP'd SRX718. The base PRX618S is equal to a properly powered and DSP'd MRX518.

The PRX tops are more in line with the MRX speakers IMHO.

The PRX400 is a passive version od the PRX600s and the power amps are based off the XTI power amps. So the PRX618-XLF passive would be equivlent to a SRX718 on an XTi amp. The SRX718 with an Itech amp sounds much more ballsy.

What are you looking to compare against?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KF650SB1000 View Post
The PRX400 is a passive version od the PRX600s and the power amps are based off the XTI power amps. So the PRX618-XLF passive would be equivlent to a SRX718 on an XTi amp. The SRX718 with an Itech amp sounds much more ballsy.

What are you looking to compare against?
Don't forget the proper application of DSP as well, the secret sauce...

• Members

Mostly I was referring to the tops, but again, was merely a curious question.

Perhaps my next question is more along the lines of dealing with power. When having multiple powered speakers (say 4 PRX612's and 2 PRX6118XLF's for example), how much juice do you need to plan for? What kind of durable, high quality power cables do you run to your speakers?

• Members

I use 12/3 portable cord. I have both SJEOW cords with molded ends, and SOOW with industrial-duty Leviton or Hubbell ends. All cords are black, with NEMA 5/15 ends.

The "SO" is rated for extra-hard service; the "SJ" is rated for hard service. For NEC purposes, an inspector won't have an issue with SO on a stage; an inspector might have an issue with SJ. (I'm not an inspector, or an electrician; but that appears to be the consensus of seeming knowledgeble folks from a variety of sources.) Mark C.

Archived