Saw Cirque de Soleil Friday night

• Members

Yep, saw Cirque de Soleil "Mystere" at the Treasure Island Hotel Las Vegas on Friday night. The sound was about as perfect as you can get and the band was incredible. The FOH guy was three rows in front of us. Because we were exiting with a crowd behind us I didn't get time to ask him very much other than to compliment him on a great job and ask him a couple of questions. He was running a DigiDesign console and when I asked him how many inputs he said 82. He was watching three flat screens and the show was flawless. I didn't get time to ask what the mains were etc. but it was a helluva show!

• Members

I saw a Cirque show in Florida many years ago - and I do remember that it was really good (and pretty expensive) (at the time it was the most I had ever spent for ANY ticket). I would expect a show like that in Vegas to be pretty much State of the Art. Certainly it is a complicated show - but it is still pretty much the same every night. They probably do two or three shows a day - 7 days a week - on a system that was especially built for THAT show in THAT room - and they have had PLENTY of opportunity to tweak it. Should just just about run itself - and - be just about perfect every night. Who owns Cirque de Soleil (?) somebody like Disney maybe?

• Members

Cirque is it's own company based out of Canada. They have a little bit of a tie with Disney, specifically their show at WDW (La Nouba) that has different contracts and a different arrangement to take care of the cast as more of a Disney production. I'm trying to remember but I think Disney may actually have a hand in the tech hiring for that show.

The rest of the company is it's own thing though. Their designers tend to get rented out a bunch though for their flying and rigging expertise. For instance their flying guys designed the Spiderman musical and all of it's flying effects as well as many other stage shows around the world.

Definitely my dream company to work for coming from my theatrical background of doing sound.

• Members

I work in the theme park biz and was actually working for Disney when they built the Cirque Du Soliel at Downtown Disney. The way they set up the sound for those shows is a Cirque consultant will spec the equipment and the procurement/ installation is bid out. Pro Sound in Orlando won the bid for that one. Their responsibility is to install it as spec'd. Then the Cirque audio director will come in and mix the room with the prerecorded tracks and the band. The mix is then programmed into the console so that any Full Sail grad can pretty much babysit the show or ride a vocal fader. There is a show control system, probably AMX, Medialon or something similar that spits out SMPTE to the audio & lighting consoles. I would guess that the audio console follows SMPTE, but since it is a live show, the show control system could possibly be cue'd either by a show producer or by possibly the band via midi since they follow the stage show.

Archived