OT: 40 years ago this week

• Members

40 years ago tonight, as I recall, I was watching Don Kirshner's "In Concert" on my folk's B&W GE television set. My fuzzy memory suggests The Midnight Special preceeded "In Concert"... the Carson show was cut short or pre-empted to accomodate.

That was awhile back, I don't care who you are... unless you're a tree, or a rock.

• Members

40 years ago tonight, as I recall, I was watching Don Kirshner's "In Concert" on my folk's B&W GE television set. My fuzzy memory suggests The Midnight Special preceeded "In Concert"... the Carson show was cut short or pre-empted to accomodate.

That was awhile back, I don't care who you are... unless you're a tree, or a rock.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

40 years ago. Dad was chasing mom around the kitchen table! Dad won, so I guess I'm here.

Counting back approx. 266 days from my birthday, I'll speculate it's safe to say my folks really enjoyed a 4th. of July (and found at least one thing to do together) back in 1955.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

40 years ago. Dad was chasing mom around the kitchen table! Dad won, so I guess I'm here.

Counting back approx. 266 days from my birthday, I'll speculate it's safe to say my folks really enjoyed a 4th. of July (and found at least one thing to do together) back in 1955.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger

View Post

To put 40 years ago in perspective: In Jan 1972, the average new house sold for $24,700.

Less than that up here. My brother-in-law bought his 3-bedroom house in '72, in a brand new housing developement, and I believe he paid $17,000. I bought my first house 5 years later ('77), and I paid $32,500, for a nice 3-bedroom townhouse in the city of Laval, Quebec, which is just across the river from Montreal.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger

View Post

To put 40 years ago in perspective: In Jan 1972, the average new house sold for $24,700.

Less than that up here. My brother-in-law bought his 3-bedroom house in '72, in a brand new housing developement, and I believe he paid $17,000. I bought my first house 5 years later ('77), and I paid $32,500, for a nice 3-bedroom townhouse in the city of Laval, Quebec, which is just across the river from Montreal.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Ouch...
Some other reality checks from 40 years ago:

1972 prices:

Loaf of bread: $.25
Gallon of gas: $.36
First Class postage: $.18
Minimum wage: $1.60/hr.
Combined local, state, and federal taxes: approx. 30% in 1972 (it was approx. 20% in the early '60's... now I believe it's >40%)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Ouch...
Some other reality checks from 40 years ago:

1972 prices:

Loaf of bread: $.25
Gallon of gas: $.36
First Class postage: $.18
Minimum wage: $1.60/hr.
Combined local, state, and federal taxes: approx. 30% in 1972 (it was approx. 20% in the early '60's... now I believe it's >40%)

Archived