Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

QSC GX7 vs Crown XLS2500?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QSC GX7 vs Crown XLS2500?

We've got our PA upgrades pretty much taken care of but I'm still thinking of picking up an amp for backup purposes or just to have for my own benefit. We would also end up using it at larger venues where we have to run two subs or additional mains.

I was originally looking at the Behringer inukes but I've started leaning towards either the QSC GX7 or Crown XLS2500.

Any preference of one over the other? The QSC is a little more powerful and has more output connectors (binding post, 1/4", speakon, while the Crown only has binding post and speakon) but the Crown has an adjustable x-over, is stable at 2 ohms and is a little lighter.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Current gear:<br />
    A whole bunch of stuff!<br />
    <br />
    Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/guitarman3001" target="_blank">Here. </a></div>

I've dealt with both amps with no issues.

For me, QSC wins for the warranty and history of excellent product support
    <div class="signaturecontainer">-</div>

Comment

QSC
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><font face="Tahoma">Boston Common Band - <a href="http://www.BostonCommonBand.com" target="_blank">Boston Wedding Bands</a></font></b><font face="Tahoma"><br><b><font color="DarkRed">Sound</font></b>: <font size="1">DB Tech DVA T4's with RCF TTS18a Subs | QSC Wideline GP218 Sub for Big Events | RCF TT08a &amp; RCF ART710a Monitors</font><br><b><font color="DarkRed">Rack</font></b>: <font size="1">A&amp;H QU16 | (2) Summit Audio TLA-50 Tube Compressors | QSC PLX3602 | Furman P2400AR Voltage Regulators</font><br><b><font color="DarkRed">Lighting</font></b>: <font size="1">(8) Blizzard HOTBOX's | (2) Blizzard Weather Systems | (2) Chauvet Eclipse RGB + ADJ Hypnotic RGB &amp; Royal 3D Lasers | (4) QSpot360 Moving Heads</font><br><b><a href="http://www.BostonCommonBand.com" target="_blank"><font size="1">Newport RI Wedding Bands</font></a></b></font><br><b><font color="DarkBlue">For Sale</font></b>: <font size="2"><a href="http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Live-Gear/FS-Rack-Gear-Tube-Compressors-and-Mackie-Quad-EQ/m-p/35983107#U35983107">Rack Gear : Tube Compressors (Live/Studio) and Mackie Quad EQ!</a></font></div>

Comment

Here's another aspect to consider - price. I've seen some refurb GX7s for right around $400. I can also pick up an XLS2500 brand new for a little under $500.

With this added to the equation, would you still pick a refurbished GX7 over a new XLS2500 or would you stay away from refurbished stuff?
        <br />
        Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/guitarman3001" target="_blank">Here. </a></div>

Comment

I prefer QSC as a company to deal with. The track records seem pretty good for both.

Comment

I would rather have a 223 xover and a QSC 2450 (your the guy with the yamaha's tops and pv118 bottoms right?) for upgrade purposes when you get the good **** and 2450's are everywhere and if you don't mind a little weight lifting now and then. The crown is nice and built in crossover, light, however, you have to tune that xover with computer or the front screen which to me = time consuming but I think on that model you can load JBL speaker presets if you go that route (thought to consider). The GX7 while a great product that xover is locked at 100 hz xover from what I see (had considered them in the past but the 100 hz xover stopped me). With a xover and 2450 you can tune DSP by ear expeditiously.

also noticed:

I draw GX7 is 10.1

I draw 2450 is 7

Comment

I bought my "openbox" IPR3000 for $340 shipped - used RMX2450's are still going for $250-300. IMO it's worth a few bux more for a HUGE weight reduction .

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

100Hz is not a limiting factor for 99% of all sub to top crossover applications.

Comment

How about a Crest ProLite 2.0 or 3.0?
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
                  <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
                  -For Sale: <br />
                  -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
                  -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
                  - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
                  - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
                  - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                    View Post

Are the ProLites even available anywhere yet?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin
                      View Post

I would rather have a 223 xover and a QSC 2450 (your the guy with the yamaha's tops and pv118 bottoms right?) for upgrade purposes when you get the good **** and 2450's are everywhere and if you don't mind a little weight lifting now and then. The crown is nice and built in crossover, light, however, you have to tune that xover with computer or the front screen which to me = time consuming but I think on that model you can load JBL speaker presets if you go that route (thought to consider). The GX7 while a great product that xover is locked at 100 hz xover from what I see (had considered them in the past but the 100 hz xover stopped me). With a xover and 2450 you can tune DSP by ear expeditiously.

also noticed:

I draw GX7 is 10.1

I draw 2450 is 7

Not sure what those draw numbers mean. The reason I wouldn't consider a 2450 is weight. 45 pounds vs less than 15.
                      <br />

Comment

I draw GX7 is 10.1

I draw 2450 is 7

Sorry I = (amperes)

Regarding weight class D seems to be the way to go nowadays and in the future. Not that I like the weight but I do know I can trust the big heavy QSC's.

I am biased had a crown XTI go bad, I have never had a peavey go bad though and I'm not going to tell you which one to buy, they both make good quality amplifiers. Roadranger swears by the Peavey IPR's may want to demo one of those. I think the IPR's have a DSP version too.....

Comment

I'm looking at these amps as well. Another consideration is DSP or non-DSP - based on where the amp is going to live most the time. DSP amps are super handy and it's a waste to have built in DSP and not use it. But AD/DA is generally not removable from the signal chain, and so for those times you just need to swap/add a channel or two of power in a rak already with a dedicated processor you have to live with an extra conversion plus a bit more noise.

Comment

An even bigger consideration is that the DSP versions have latency while the non-dsp versons do not. Combining DSP and non-dsp introduce time delay issues that can be much more significant than you might think under some conditions.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                              View Post

I haven't seen those anywhere. The ones I mentioned are easily found all over the place.
                              <br />

Comment

Working...
                              X