Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What speakers+power amp would equal a pair of QSC K12 speakers?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by dedmeet
    View Post

My experience with the QSC K12 speakers has been quite good. If I needed a supply of rental cabs, these would be my go-to box for many applications.

As for sound quality, in my book they are 'good.' Not great or amazing, but good. There are other cabs in this price range which arguably sound better, but the K12's light weight and feature set are hard to pass up.

A note of advice with powered speakers - ignore all the wattage mumbo jumbo. Since all the amplification and processing is in the box, just ignore all that and focus on the measured specs and how it sounds to you. I guarandamntee that my ELX112Ps do not really ever get close to 1kw sent to the drivers. But, they do get loud enough and sound good enough for my work.

On the OP's original question, just about any solid mid-level two way cab would hang with a properly processed and amplified K12. The K12 and its counterparts do it all in one box for less $, though.

What alternatives are there for the same price as the QSC? I am really interested to know what other active speakers are better than QSC for the same price.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe
      View Post

What alternatives are there for the same price as the QSC? I am really interested to know what other active speakers are better than QSC for the same price.

Yamaha's DXR series of active speakers are similar in every way to the K series but sound better at high volume and are a little less $$$. I love 'em!

Al
      KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

View Post

so...this means that an active speaker is cheaper costing to produce vs a passive set up with separate speaker, DSP and amp?

Well, it's all in the same packaging (don't need boxes for the DSP and power amp), and it all runs off one power supply. So, yeah.
        Originally Posted By Trace-P38
        Flogger wins.

Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
        Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.

Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
        Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush

http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

Comment

View Post

I think the PRX line is a better sounding speaker, overall, than the K speakers. I have noticed a lot of "harshness" in the highs when the K speakers are loud, but I have also heard that this can pretty easily be EQ'd out.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette
            View Post

I think the PRX line is a better sounding speaker, overall, than the K speakers. I have noticed a lot of "harshness" in the highs when the K speakers are loud, but I have also heard that this can pretty easily be EQ'd out.

I agree 110%,,, it's not even close. The PRX's sound much more transparent and musical, and project much better too.

Frankly, I think the only guys who like the K-boxes, are the guys who make money renting them out, or selling them.
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note

Frankly, I think the only guys who like the K-boxes, are the guys who make money renting them out, or selling them.

Is the conspiracy theory still alive up north?
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

View Post

For roughly 2/3 the the price, in the USA anyway, the RCF 310A or 312A shines and remains the best bang for the buck in a powered cabinet, IMO. This is especially true if used with subs.
                PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

View Post

Good Lord, I don't know what you guys are hearing with the K-Series, but I have yet to hear ONE that sounds good.

Now, in fairness, let it be said that I've never heard the K-series "Live",,,, only with pre-recorded music.

You answered your own question. It depends on what you play through it. I guarantee you that there is some song that will make any one particular system sound great while making another sound not so good. IMHO the least smart thing you can do is to audition any speakers by playing your favorite songs (unless they are the only songs to ever be played through the speakers).

I don't listen for how it sounds "out of the box" I listen for its potential after I get it dialed in. EQ and "harshness" are very low on my list of what to listen for as they are easily adjusted. Articulation is up at the top of my list.
                  Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd
                    View Post

For roughly 2/3 the the price, in the USA anyway, the RCF 310A or 312A shines and remains the best bang for the buck in a powered cabinet, IMO. This is especially true if used with subs.

The only downside to the RCF's is that they don't have full grills. They used to make a full grill version of the 310A but it was unavailable when I bought my 310A's .

Comment

View Post

I agree 110%,,, it's not even close. The PRX's sound much more transparent and musical, and project much better too.

Well what's your definition of success? For most of us this is a business and making money with our tools is out objective.

Stuck on a desert island I could do a successful show with any number of speakers. Would you be willing to bet your life that you could pick out speaker A or speaker B once they were professionally setup? I wouldn't. I think people here too many logos and not enough tools.
                      Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
                        View Post

Would you be willing to bet your life that you could pick out speaker A or speaker B once they were professionally setup? I wouldn't.

I think this may be a problematic position to take. Because, to be quite honest, if a sound engineer knows how to tune a system to its best sonic advantage, he or she would probably NOT be using an active system anyway because the passive equivalent, in the hands of someone highly skilled, will sound better than the active system in the same hands.

So I have to take some issue with your position on the grounds that the majority of people who are buying active cabs are like me, not skilled, and not able to muster the experience to "dial in" the system that may sound weaker out of the box. In short, if a guy like agedhorse, for instance, decided to use this class of speakers for a series of small gigs, then I have absolutely no doubt that whether he was using K's, KW's, PRX's, or DSR's, that the system will sound as good as it could sound and that, in his hands, they would probably be roughly equivalent or indistinguishable to any listener.

But since we are NOT talking about guys with his experience or even guys with your experience, people here should be sensitive to the real question, which I believe to be the single most important question on this class of speakers. That question is, "What speaker sounds best out of the box and in the hands of the less than experienced user?"

Because to be quite honest, I couldn't personally care less if a guy with your skills, which I assume to be considerable, can tune the systems to sound identical. See my point?

Comment

There are plenty of the most highly skilled engineers using powered speakers... Meyer, EAW, JBL vertec, rcf Tt and hla for example.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                            View Post

There are plenty of the most highly skilled engineers using powered speakers... Meyer, EAW, JBL vertec, rcf Tt and hla for example.

Okay, good to know. I always assumed that, given the choice, the more experienced pro would choose the passive cabs over the active equivalents.

Comment

The RCF TT cabs simply sound fantastic. Articulate and as crisp of a top end as I have heard.

Al
                              KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
                                View Post

You answered your own question. It depends on what you play through it. I guarantee you that there is some song that will make any one particular system sound great while making another sound not so good. IMHO the least smart thing you can do is to audition any speakers by playing your favorite songs (unless they are the only songs to ever be played through the speakers).

I don't listen for how it sounds "out of the box" I listen for its potential after I get it dialed in. EQ and "harshness" are very low on my list of what to listen for as they are easily adjusted. Articulation is up at the top of my list.

This is where having a digital board with recording is handy. You can literally audition your own band through the system. I did that a few years ago at a store where they allowed me to bring in my board and my current subwoofer. Then last weekend I did the same with the FBT's I was auditioning.
                                PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                                Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                                www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

Working...
                                X