Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What speakers+power amp would equal a pair of QSC K12 speakers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so...this means that an active speaker is cheaper costing to produce vs a passive set up with separate speaker, DSP and amp?

Comment

so...this means that an active speaker is cheaper costing to produce vs a passive set up with separate speaker, DSP and amp?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
        View Post

I've got a different view;

They don't sell passive versions, because they wouldn't "sell".

The only reason the actives "sell", is because of the marketing bull-**************** regarding "1000 watts"rating.

Actives sell because they deliver an all-in-one package that offers more convenience, performance and reliability for the average musician / DJ.

Having amplifiers properly matched and processed to maximize the performance of each transducer in a powered enclosure, all while offering built-in protection, internal bi or tri-amping as well as mixing capabilities in a single unit is worth more to most people than big numbers.

The ability to plug in an MP3 player or guitar and a microphone in a single portable cabinet and to be able to entertain a hundred people is another big reason for the quickly growing popularity of active speakers... It's certainly not just numbers. If powered speakers simply boasted big numbers, but didn't perform well at all and sounded like crap, do you really think they would be as popular as they are today?

Al
        KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

View Post

I've got a different view;

They don't sell passive versions, because they wouldn't "sell".

The only reason the actives "sell", is because of the marketing bull-**************** regarding "1000 watts"rating.

Actives sell because they deliver an all-in-one package that offers more convenience, performance and reliability for the average musician / DJ.

Having amplifiers properly matched and processed to maximize the performance of each transducer in a powered enclosure, all while offering built-in protection, internal bi or tri-amping as well as mixing capabilities in a single unit is worth more to most people than big numbers.

The ability to plug in an MP3 player or guitar and a microphone in a single portable cabinet and to be able to entertain a hundred people is another big reason for the quickly growing popularity of active speakers... It's certainly not just numbers. If powered speakers simply boasted big numbers, but didn't perform well at all and sounded like crap, do you really think they would be as popular as they are today?

Al
          KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

The Qsc K series to me are a unique animal as far as powered boxes in their price range go. I have been unbelievably impressed with this box, wich I have never been able to say about any other box in their price range. They sound incredible, get really loud, have functional mixer built in, and don't look silly/transport funky. the K-8 for its size is remarkable, a buddy of mine who is a family/children entertainer can go to a library to a 500 seat outdoor park gig ( granted for the park gig it is just barely enough, he really needs 4 for coverage) Granted he is not a metal band. But the larger boxes have a even more impressive output.

Comment

The Qsc K series to me are a unique animal as far as powered boxes in their price range go. I have been unbelievably impressed with this box, wich I have never been able to say about any other box in their price range. They sound incredible, get really loud, have functional mixer built in, and don't look silly/transport funky. the K-8 for its size is remarkable, a buddy of mine who is a family/children entertainer can go to a library to a 500 seat outdoor park gig ( granted for the park gig it is just barely enough, he really needs 4 for coverage) Granted he is not a metal band. But the larger boxes have a even more impressive output.

Comment

Good Lord, I don't know what you guys are hearing with the K-Series, but I have yet to hear ONE that sounds good. The first K-series box I ever listened to was a K-8. The store rep connected his laptop so I could listen to some tunes, and I absolutely hated the sound of that box. DEEP* was completely useless, and even with DEEP* disengaged, there was no transparency,,, no life.

The last time I listened to one, was a few montha ago, at Steve's Music in Montreal. There was a guy and his son, evaluating a K-12 and the EV 12" (ELX??). Anyway, the K-12 couldn't remotely touch the EV for clarity,,, . These guys seemed to be struggling to determine which one sounded better.. I was in an adjoining room with another clerk, and we just looked at each other in disbelief.

Now, in fairness, let it be said that I've never heard the K-series "Live",,,, only with pre-recorded music.
                Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Good Lord, I don't know what you guys are hearing with the K-Series, but I have yet to hear ONE that sounds good. The first K-series box I ever listened to was a K-8. The store rep connected his laptop so I could listen to some tunes, and I absolutely hated the sound of that box. DEEP* was completely useless, and even with DEEP* disengaged, there was no transparency,,, no life.

The last time I listened to one, was a few montha ago, at Steve's Music in Montreal. There was a guy and his son, evaluating a K-12 and the EV 12" (ELX??). Anyway, the K-12 couldn't remotely touch the EV for clarity,,, . These guys seemed to be struggling to determine which one sounded better.. I was in an adjoining room with another clerk, and we just looked at each other in disbelief.

Now, in fairness, let it be said that I've never heard the K-series "Live",,,, only with pre-recorded music.
                  Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

View Post

If it sounds bad with a well-recorded and mastered CD playing through it....it will sound bad for 'live'.

Not sure if you heard a faulty one. I heard it before and I must say it is really impressive.

Comment

View Post

If it sounds bad with a well-recorded and mastered CD playing through it....it will sound bad for 'live'.

Not sure if you heard a faulty one. I heard it before and I must say it is really impressive.

Comment

Prerecorded music (especially todays) doesn't have the dynamics necessary to judge a speaker. Compression robs dynamics and its the wave of the future as far as music goes. Add in the synthesized bass and it's a crap shoot. There is a pianist around here that does a lot of dinner music gigs that could change your mind. K10's over K subs. I'm not a fan of the Ksub by any means, but that combo makes his keys shine. Mind you the fella is all of 70 and a retired music teacher. He can play. Really play! It just amazes me that when he starts a song that people are familiar with, the place goes totally quiet. Are they the greatest thing since sliced bread...nah. But are they a decent performer at their price point. Oh yeah.

Comment

Prerecorded music (especially todays) doesn't have the dynamics necessary to judge a speaker. Compression robs dynamics and its the wave of the future as far as music goes. Add in the synthesized bass and it's a crap shoot. There is a pianist around here that does a lot of dinner music gigs that could change your mind. K10's over K subs. I'm not a fan of the Ksub by any means, but that combo makes his keys shine. Mind you the fella is all of 70 and a retired music teacher. He can play. Really play! It just amazes me that when he starts a song that people are familiar with, the place goes totally quiet. Are they the greatest thing since sliced bread...nah. But are they a decent performer at their price point. Oh yeah.

Comment

My experience with the QSC K12 speakers has been quite good. If I needed a supply of rental cabs, these would be my go-to box for many applications.

As for sound quality, in my book they are 'good.' Not great or amazing, but good. There are other cabs in this price range which arguably sound better, but the K12's light weight and feature set are hard to pass up.

A note of advice with powered speakers - ignore all the wattage mumbo jumbo. Since all the amplification and processing is in the box, just ignore all that and focus on the measured specs and how it sounds to you. I guarandamntee that my ELX112Ps do not really ever get close to 1kw sent to the drivers. But, they do get loud enough and sound good enough for my work.

On the OP's original question, just about any solid mid-level two way cab would hang with a properly processed and amplified K12. The K12 and its counterparts do it all in one box for less $, though.
                            Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

My experience with the QSC K12 speakers has been quite good. If I needed a supply of rental cabs, these would be my go-to box for many applications.

As for sound quality, in my book they are 'good.' Not great or amazing, but good. There are other cabs in this price range which arguably sound better, but the K12's light weight and feature set are hard to pass up.

A note of advice with powered speakers - ignore all the wattage mumbo jumbo. Since all the amplification and processing is in the box, just ignore all that and focus on the measured specs and how it sounds to you. I guarandamntee that my ELX112Ps do not really ever get close to 1kw sent to the drivers. But, they do get loud enough and sound good enough for my work.

On the OP's original question, just about any solid mid-level two way cab would hang with a properly processed and amplified K12. The K12 and its counterparts do it all in one box for less $, though.
                              Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dedmeet
                                View Post

What alternatives are there for the same price as the QSC? I am really interested to know what other active speakers are better than QSC for the same price.

Comment

Working...
                                X