Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What speakers+power amp would equal a pair of QSC K12 speakers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speakers+power amp would equal a pair of QSC K12 speakers?

I'm just asking to try to learn something about passive speakers and power amps.

What good quality power amp and pair of passive speakers would be the performance equal of a pair of QSC K12 speakers?

Would you have to have another power amp for every pair of passive speakers you added either as mains or wedges? Or if you wanted to add a big subwoofer?

Wonder why QSC doesn't make passive speakers considering they make popular and respected (I gather) power amps? Seems odd to me - missing a potential market it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pater Familias
    View Post

I'm just asking to try to learn something about passive speakers and power amps.

What good quality power amp and pair of passive speakers would be the performance equal of a pair of QSC K12 speakers?

Would you have to have another power amp for every pair of passive speakers you added either as mains or wedges? Or if you wanted to add a big subwoofer?

Wonder why QSC doesn't make passive speakers considering they make popular and respected (I gather) power amps? Seems odd to me - missing a potential market it would seem.

JBL MRX-512 and a QSC GX-5 (biamped operation) AND a DSP.

QSC sees the benefit of selling a matched package that is more resistant to the customer making bad choices and damaging, as well as the better performance overall capabilities.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

View Post

JBL MRX-512 and a QSC GX-5 (biamped operation) AND a DSP.

QSC sees the benefit of selling a matched package that is more resistant to the customer making bad choices and damaging, as well as the better performance overall capabilities.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

View Post

Yah, not going to happen. If "reasonably decent for cheap" is your goal get a Peavey IPR1600 and a pair of these:

http://audiopile.net/products/Speake...cutsheet.shtml

The IPR1600 can drive up to four speakers on each output. If you run mono you can put the tops one one channel and the subs on the other - it has a built-in crossover.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

View Post

Yah, not going to happen. If "reasonably decent for cheap" is your goal get a Peavey IPR1600 and a pair of these:

http://audiopile.net/products/Speake...cutsheet.shtml

The IPR1600 can drive up to four speakers on each output. If you run mono you can put the tops one one channel and the subs on the other - it has a built-in crossover.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

I've got a different view;

They don't sell passive versions, because they wouldn't "sell".

The only reason the actives "sell", is because of the marketing bull-**************** regarding "1000 watts"rating.
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

They don't sell passive versions, because they wouldn't "sell".

The only reason the actives "sell", is because of the marketing bull-**************** regarding "1000 watts"rating.
              Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                View Post

AND a DSP.

Yes indeed... This is a big part of the success of the system.
                Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                  View Post

AND a DSP.

Yes indeed... This is a big part of the success of the system.
                  Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                    View Post

:

Ok ... But my view is that they couldn't deliver the total performance with separates at anywhere near the price.
                    Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                      View Post

:

Ok ... But my view is that they couldn't deliver the total performance with separates at anywhere near the price.
                      Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
                        View Post

Don and I are in full agrement on this

Comment

View Post

Don and I are in full agrement on this

Comment

View Post

+1

DriveRack PA+, MRX512, QSC GX5, AND the know-how to setup the DSP to properly protect and get the most out of the MRX512.

In some cases, the DSP is so complex in the speaker that it would be impossible to do it yourself with external gear (at least gear that we mere mortals can use) since the settings dynamically change depending on the input in some cases.

I think that you can get nearly all the sound of a QSC K12 at about half the price by getting a pair of RCF312a's though. Perhaps that would be a better than passives.
                            With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

View Post

+1

DriveRack PA+, MRX512, QSC GX5, AND the know-how to setup the DSP to properly protect and get the most out of the MRX512.

In some cases, the DSP is so complex in the speaker that it would be impossible to do it yourself with external gear (at least gear that we mere mortals can use) since the settings dynamically change depending on the input in some cases.

I think that you can get nearly all the sound of a QSC K12 at about half the price by getting a pair of RCF312a's though. Perhaps that would be a better than passives.
                              With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

Working...
                              X