Inverting polarity and GBF

• Members

More of a theoretical question as I can't see it coming into play for me. First off, seems generally accepted that mixing mic types on the same monitor mix can lead to lower GBF than if you have identical mics. Are there any like-issues if you have identical mics but then flip polarity on one of them? This would (I would think) cause that mic to behave differently. Yeah, No, non-factor?

• Members

I've had a number of people swear that flipping polarity helps, even sometimes. But no one has ever been able to demonstrate it to me. I'm open to anyone describing a method to test this.

As far as mixing mics I find that using all the same mic is easier to deal with and therefore easier to get higher gbf. Assuming that the mics are all running at about the same gain. There are a bunch of exceptions to this of course.

• Members

I've had a number of people swear that flipping polarity helps, even sometimes. But no one has ever been able to demonstrate it to me. I'm open to anyone describing a method to test this.

As far as mixing mics I find that using all the same mic is easier to deal with and therefore easier to get higher gbf. Assuming that the mics are all running at about the same gain. There are a bunch of exceptions to this of course.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dboomer View Post

I was once told something similar in that if you wired the monitors in reverse, it would help with GBF. Time for "Mythbusters"?

• Members

I was once told something similar in that if you wired the monitors in reverse, it would help with GBF. Time for "Mythbusters"?

• Members

Agreed on all counts.

• Members

Agreed on all counts.

• Members
Is that because the same mics are more likely to share problem frequencies? (IE less problems to deal with?)

Or am I barking up the wrong tree with that...

• Members
Is that because the same mics are more likely to share problem frequencies? (IE less problems to deal with?)

Or am I barking up the wrong tree with that...

Archived