Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverting polarity and GBF

More of a theoretical question as I can't see it coming into play for me. First off, seems generally accepted that mixing mic types on the same monitor mix can lead to lower GBF than if you have identical mics. Are there any like-issues if you have identical mics but then flip polarity on one of them? This would (I would think) cause that mic to behave differently. Yeah, No, non-factor?

It will behave differently, will shift any GBF to a different frequency based on the distance from the mic to the monitor (effectively changing the delay in the feedback loop). May not be better or worse, but certainly different.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

It will behave differently, will shift any GBF to a different frequency based on the distance from the mic to the monitor (effectively changing the delay in the feedback loop). May not be better or worse, but certainly different.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

I've had a number of people swear that flipping polarity helps, even sometimes. But no one has ever been able to demonstrate it to me. I'm open to anyone describing a method to test this.

As far as mixing mics I find that using all the same mic is easier to deal with and therefore easier to get higher gbf. Assuming that the mics are all running at about the same gain. There are a bunch of exceptions to this of course.
        Don Boomer

Comment

I've had a number of people swear that flipping polarity helps, even sometimes. But no one has ever been able to demonstrate it to me. I'm open to anyone describing a method to test this.

As far as mixing mics I find that using all the same mic is easier to deal with and therefore easier to get higher gbf. Assuming that the mics are all running at about the same gain. There are a bunch of exceptions to this of course.
          Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
            View Post

I was once told something similar in that if you wired the monitors in reverse, it would help with GBF. Time for "Mythbusters"?

Comment

View Post

I was once told something similar in that if you wired the monitors in reverse, it would help with GBF. Time for "Mythbusters"?

Comment

View Post

Agreed on all counts.

Comment

View Post

Agreed on all counts.

Comment

View Post

Is that because the same mics are more likely to share problem frequencies? (IE less problems to deal with?)

Or am I barking up the wrong tree with that...

Comment

View Post

Is that because the same mics are more likely to share problem frequencies? (IE less problems to deal with?)

Or am I barking up the wrong tree with that...

Comment

Yeah ... just fix it once and you fix them all (it's not really quite that simple however)
                        Don Boomer

Comment

Yeah ... just fix it once and you fix them all (it's not really quite that simple however)
                          Don Boomer

Comment

One has to pay attention to how the reversal interacts with the house spill. Sometimes it cleans up the mud, sometimes it's worse.

Comment

One has to pay attention to how the reversal interacts with the house spill. Sometimes it cleans up the mud, sometimes it's worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X