How would you tackle this room..???

• Members

The link here is to a club we are playing a week from now. Using a single sp118 sub for each side(2) and a single sp2 for each side. Where would you set the cabs? The venue is an old theatre with great acoustics, and the floor goes up towards the back, with balconys all around. I would like some eq advice also, ive never played a room like this.................the stage goes deeper than the pics show, probably 15ft beyond the shown dropped screen.

http://rtvpix.com/rst/BU-0105-EB220D-01?h=500&w=700

• Members

put the subs on stage? or on the floor? If on stage I can use the poles in the subs.....Its not a volume thing, its easlily too loud in there from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

Stack the sp2's on the sp118's. get the sp'2s up high. It isn't about volume but more about coverage.

• Members

put the subs on stage? or on the floor? If on stage I can use the poles in the subs.....Its not a volume thing, its easlily too loud in there from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

Stack the sp2's on the sp118's. get the sp'2s up high. It isn't about volume but more about coverage.

• Members

The question would be how far apart to have them spread apart, at first glance I was like wow I wonder if maybe not setting the tops up as wedges facing up towards the balcony as well as main floor area somehow but with the horns being sidewise don't think that'll work, I agree need to get tops up as far as you can to start stack em on the subs, I would think you would want them beyond the stage, question is how far apart for maximum coverage, curious as to other's opinion on figuring that out.

Saw this: http://assets.peavey.com/literature/...86500_9080.pdf

This superb driver is coupled
to a Quadratic Throat Constant
Directivity Waveguide (U.S. Patent
#6,059,069) to provide smooth,
even response, low distortion and
good high frequency dispersion.
This horn has an asymmetrical
vertical polar response, aiming
the main energy lobe down 10
degrees so it reaches the audience
instead of over their heads

• Members

The question would be how far apart to have them spread apart, at first glance I was like wow I wonder if maybe not setting the tops up as wedges facing up towards the balcony as well as main floor area somehow but with the horns being sidewise don't think that'll work, I agree need to get tops up as far as you can to start stack em on the subs, I would think you would want them beyond the stage, question is how far apart for maximum coverage, curious as to other's opinion on figuring that out.

Saw this: http://assets.peavey.com/literature/...86500_9080.pdf

This superb driver is coupled
to a Quadratic Throat Constant
Directivity Waveguide (U.S. Patent
#6,059,069) to provide smooth,
even response, low distortion and
good high frequency dispersion.
This horn has an asymmetrical
instead of over their heads

• Members

Not all speakers called SP2's have the asymmetrical horn. Do yours? This is a case where that will work against you it you stack them in their normal position. This might well be a case where the cabs on their sides would work best. It would get the sound up to the balconies better.

If the stage is 4 feet tall then subs on floor would be best.

• Members

Not all speakers called SP2's have the asymmetrical horn. Do yours? This is a case where that will work against you it you stack them in their normal position. This might well be a case where the cabs on their sides would work best. It would get the sound up to the balconies better.

• Members

• Members

• Members

Going by the picture and what you've said.
Volume is not an issue.
Balcony
It looks like the round tables up front would be removed for dancing?

Because thunder is not needed I'd put you subs on stage L/R just in front of those ugly potted things just inside enough so as to not block the stairs.

Put your sp2's on top but UP SIDE DOWN "IF" you have the horn with the

"asymmetrical
instead of over their heads "

Instead of pushing the highs down it would fire it up somewhat to reach the balcony and also keep the volume right in front down some yet still giving a useable volume for the rest of the room.
If you have the older SP-2s put them on the subs as well but put a 2X4 under them to lift the fronts up about 2 inches. Again to get the energy up some and reduce the highs in front somewhat.

Kind of looks like dinner music instead of a rock show? Balcony fills would be better. Is there a DJ system somewhere to tap into? I see the lights and fog machine so I wonder if there is house fills somewhere?

Dookietwo

• Members

Going by the picture and what you've said.
Volume is not an issue.
Balcony
It looks like the round tables up front would be removed for dancing?

Because thunder is not needed I'd put you subs on stage L/R just in front of those ugly potted things just inside enough so as to not block the stairs.

Put your sp2's on top but UP SIDE DOWN "IF" you have the horn with the

"asymmetrical
instead of over their heads "

Instead of pushing the highs down it would fire it up somewhat to reach the balcony and also keep the volume right in front down some yet still giving a useable volume for the rest of the room.
If you have the older SP-2s put them on the subs as well but put a 2X4 under them to lift the fronts up about 2 inches. Again to get the energy up some and reduce the highs in front somewhat.

Kind of looks like dinner music instead of a rock show? Balcony fills would be better. Is there a DJ system somewhere to tap into? I see the lights and fog machine so I wonder if there is house fills somewhere?

Dookietwo

• Members

I used to work these kinds of buildings all the time. When faced with this, practicality wins out. The key is to understand that there are really 2 zones (3 if you count the boxes close to the stage).

Zone 1 (main floor): Subs on the stage left & right, tops on top of them, no poles, angled down about 5 degrees and in as necessary.
Zone 2 (balcony mid house to far): small 40 x 60 "balcony tips" on top of your tops, angled up to the balcony.
Zone 3 (boxes close): small up-fill cabinets to cover. Helps to have these on a seperate vomume control (matrix, aux, whatever)

• Members

I used to work these kinds of buildings all the time. When faced with this, practicality wins out. The key is to understand that there are really 2 zones (3 if you count the boxes close to the stage).

Zone 1 (main floor): Subs on the stage left & right, tops on top of them, no poles, angled down about 5 degrees and in as necessary.
Zone 2 (balcony mid house to far): small 40 x 60 "balcony tips" on top of your tops, angled up to the balcony.
Zone 3 (boxes close): small up-fill cabinets to cover. Helps to have these on a seperate vomume control (matrix, aux, whatever)

• Members

I think they are...they are the latest version of the sp2's. There is a small system there but not sure the specs. They have every kind of band you could think of here....rock/country/blugrass/duos/acoustic. The owner says they have had some problems with some bands being too loud. We play mainly classic rock, but are band is not a loud band.

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer View Post

• Members

I think they are...they are the latest version of the sp2's. There is a small system there but not sure the specs. They have every kind of band you could think of here....rock/country/blugrass/duos/acoustic. The owner says they have had some problems with some bands being too loud. We play mainly classic rock, but are band is not a loud band.

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer View Post

• Members
How would you tackle this room..???
If you can borrow a pair of wedges, you can do a little trick of mine. Put one sub each downstage L and R. Set the SP2s on the floor adjacent to the SP2s. This will cover the main seating area and 'dance' area in front of the stage (you may have to toe them in a bit). Place one monitor wedge on top of each sub and use it to push sound up into the upper sections.

Your biggest issue in a room this size is keeping the volume sensible. Low stage volume and carefully directing sound will make for a more enjoyable experience for all.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer

View Post

Not all speakers called SP2's have the asymmetrical horn. Do yours? This is a case where that will work against you it you stack them in their normal position.

Is it possible for the horns to be rotated 180 degrees within the enclosure?

• Members

Curious, it seems to me that the subs being on stage could create a sound chamber under the stage (providing that the stage is most likely hollow) resulting in a low-frequency feedback hell on the stage. Though maybe not much of a concern because of the low volume they intend to play? Also, would it make sense to place the subs on the floor not touching the stage and perhaps get 'em up higher for coverage like maybe another pair of subs on each side just to lift them up (not plugged in) and be esthetically pleasing?

Archived