Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you tackle this room..???

The link here is to a club we are playing a week from now. Using a single sp118 sub for each side(2) and a single sp2 for each side. Where would you set the cabs? The venue is an old theatre with great acoustics, and the floor goes up towards the back, with balconys all around. I would like some eq advice also, ive never played a room like this.................the stage goes deeper than the pics show, probably 15ft beyond the shown dropped screen.

http://rtvpix.com/rst/BU-0105-EB220D-01?h=500&w=700
    Jack of all trades....Master of none...

Stack the sp2's on the sp118's. get the sp'2s up high. It isn't about volume but more about coverage.
    www.rock-bot.com
    Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Stack the sp2's on the sp118's. get the sp'2s up high. It isn't about volume but more about coverage.
      www.rock-bot.com
      Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

put the subs on stage? or on the floor? If on stage I can use the poles in the subs.....Its not a volume thing, its easlily too loud in there from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska
        View Post

Comment

put the subs on stage? or on the floor? If on stage I can use the poles in the subs.....Its not a volume thing, its easlily too loud in there from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska
          View Post

Comment

The question would be how far apart to have them spread apart, at first glance I was like wow I wonder if maybe not setting the tops up as wedges facing up towards the balcony as well as main floor area somehow but with the horns being sidewise don't think that'll work, I agree need to get tops up as far as you can to start stack em on the subs, I would think you would want them beyond the stage, question is how far apart for maximum coverage, curious as to other's opinion on figuring that out.

Saw this: http://assets.peavey.com/literature/...86500_9080.pdf

This superb driver is coupled

to a Quadratic Throat Constant

Directivity Waveguide (U.S. Patent

#6,059,069) to provide smooth,

even response, low distortion and

good high frequency dispersion.

This horn has an asymmetrical

vertical polar response, aiming

the main energy lobe down 10

degrees so it reaches the audience

instead of over their heads

Comment

The question would be how far apart to have them spread apart, at first glance I was like wow I wonder if maybe not setting the tops up as wedges facing up towards the balcony as well as main floor area somehow but with the horns being sidewise don't think that'll work, I agree need to get tops up as far as you can to start stack em on the subs, I would think you would want them beyond the stage, question is how far apart for maximum coverage, curious as to other's opinion on figuring that out.

Saw this: http://assets.peavey.com/literature/...86500_9080.pdf

This superb driver is coupled

to a Quadratic Throat Constant

Directivity Waveguide (U.S. Patent

#6,059,069) to provide smooth,

even response, low distortion and

good high frequency dispersion.

This horn has an asymmetrical

instead of over their heads

Comment

Not all speakers called SP2's have the asymmetrical horn. Do yours? This is a case where that will work against you it you stack them in their normal position. This might well be a case where the cabs on their sides would work best. It would get the sound up to the balconies better.

If the stage is 4 feet tall then subs on floor would be best.
                Don Boomer

Comment

Not all speakers called SP2's have the asymmetrical horn. Do yours? This is a case where that will work against you it you stack them in their normal position. This might well be a case where the cabs on their sides would work best. It would get the sound up to the balconies better.

Don Boomer

Comment

Don Boomer

Comment

Don Boomer

Comment

Going by the picture and what you've said.

Volume is not an issue.

Balcony

It looks like the round tables up front would be removed for dancing?

Because thunder is not needed I'd put you subs on stage L/R just in front of those ugly potted things just inside enough so as to not block the stairs.

Put your sp2's on top but UP SIDE DOWN "IF" you have the horn with the

"asymmetrical

instead of over their heads "

Instead of pushing the highs down it would fire it up somewhat to reach the balcony and also keep the volume right in front down some yet still giving a useable volume for the rest of the room.

If you have the older SP-2s put them on the subs as well but put a 2X4 under them to lift the fronts up about 2 inches. Again to get the energy up some and reduce the highs in front somewhat.

Kind of looks like dinner music instead of a rock show? Balcony fills would be better. Is there a DJ system somewhere to tap into? I see the lights and fog machine so I wonder if there is house fills somewhere?

Dookietwo

Comment

Going by the picture and what you've said.

Volume is not an issue.

Balcony

It looks like the round tables up front would be removed for dancing?

Because thunder is not needed I'd put you subs on stage L/R just in front of those ugly potted things just inside enough so as to not block the stairs.

Put your sp2's on top but UP SIDE DOWN "IF" you have the horn with the

"asymmetrical

instead of over their heads "

Instead of pushing the highs down it would fire it up somewhat to reach the balcony and also keep the volume right in front down some yet still giving a useable volume for the rest of the room.

If you have the older SP-2s put them on the subs as well but put a 2X4 under them to lift the fronts up about 2 inches. Again to get the energy up some and reduce the highs in front somewhat.

Kind of looks like dinner music instead of a rock show? Balcony fills would be better. Is there a DJ system somewhere to tap into? I see the lights and fog machine so I wonder if there is house fills somewhere?

Dookietwo

Comment

I used to work these kinds of buildings all the time. When faced with this, practicality wins out. The key is to understand that there are really 2 zones (3 if you count the boxes close to the stage).

Zone 1 (main floor): Subs on the stage left & right, tops on top of them, no poles, angled down about 5 degrees and in as necessary.

Zone 2 (balcony mid house to far): small 40 x 60 "balcony tips" on top of your tops, angled up to the balcony.

Zone 3 (boxes close): small up-fill cabinets to cover. Helps to have these on a seperate vomume control (matrix, aux, whatever)
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I used to work these kinds of buildings all the time. When faced with this, practicality wins out. The key is to understand that there are really 2 zones (3 if you count the boxes close to the stage).

Zone 1 (main floor): Subs on the stage left & right, tops on top of them, no poles, angled down about 5 degrees and in as necessary.

Zone 2 (balcony mid house to far): small 40 x 60 "balcony tips" on top of your tops, angled up to the balcony.

Zone 3 (boxes close): small up-fill cabinets to cover. Helps to have these on a seperate vomume control (matrix, aux, whatever)
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Working...
                              X