cabinet material... at what Hz does it not really matter?

• Members

So I just bought my fancy new FBT Vertus rig. While the subs are birch, the tops are aluminum. That got me thinking that what the cabinet is made of must not matter at some point as you go up in Hz. These boxes cross over at 130-180 Hz. There's the whole wood sounds better than plastic and MDF actually can sound better than wood, but does it matter much if you're using subs and crossing over at 100Hz or higher?

• Members

It's not specifically the material it's about the box stiffness. If you feel ANY vibration in the cabinet, that vibration started out as sound but never made it out of the cabinet. The closer you can engineer the box not to vibrate the better, no matter the material. Wood is just kinda a no brainier easy way. The higher up you go the easier the job is to do of course.

Btw ... Concrete works even better but it's a bitch to make changes in it smile.gif

• Members

It's not specifically the material it's about the box stiffness. If you feel ANY vibration in the cabinet, that vibration started out as sound but never made it out of the cabinet. The closer you can engineer the box not to vibrate the better, no matter the material. Wood is just kinda a no brainier easy way. The higher up you go the easier the job is to do of course.

Btw ... Concrete works even better but it's a bitch to make changes in it smile.gif

Archived