Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPOD's and break music

I was looking at some iPods during the holidays, and was a bit surprised to see so many different models. Now I know that some of you are using these ipods for break music, and I'm wondering how happy you are with the sound-quality, and overall performance. Would it be worthwhile going with the iPod Touch, and what capacity would you recommend? (16,32, or 64GB).

Is the camera on the iPod Touch any good? Video?

AppleStore.ca has 64GB 4th generation refurbs, for $229. Canadian. The 32GB models are $179.

The iPod Nano is $149. (new) for 16GB, and no camera.
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Sound quality is plenty fine on all of them. Be sure no on board eq of effects are enabled on these kinds of devices.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Sound quality is plenty fine on all of them. Be sure no on board eq of effects are enabled on these kinds of devices.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I use an 8G ipod touch, 16gb iphone, 64gb ipod, all work just fine. As Agedhorse mentioned, make sure to turn off EQ and other effects you might have enabled.

I have yet to come across a time where I needed more than 8GB of background music.

Comment

I use an 8G ipod touch, 16gb iphone, 64gb ipod, all work just fine. As Agedhorse mentioned, make sure to turn off EQ and other effects you might have enabled.

I have yet to come across a time where I needed more than 8GB of background music.

Comment

How are you guys connecting these units to your consoles? Are there special adapter cables required?
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

How are you guys connecting these units to your consoles? Are there special adapter cables required?
              Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                View Post

I am just using an audio cable (1/8 stereo connector to L/R 1/4 connectors) directly into my aux in on my mixer (X32).

Or you could get the ipod dock and do the same thing.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                  View Post

I am just using an audio cable (1/8 stereo connector to L/R 1/4 connectors) directly into my aux in on my mixer (X32).

Or you could get the ipod dock and do the same thing.

Comment

I've been using some Sony 16GB MP3 players for many years now and they sound as good as any other source I use. (Stanton CD player + Sony home/pro Minidisc decks)

All of my digital music is encoded at 320kbps and directly from store bought or music service (ERG) CDs.

Connection to my mixers is via 1/8" to dual (L/R) RCA OR 1/8" to dual (L/R) 1/4".

Al
                    KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

I've been using some Sony 16GB MP3 players for many years now and they sound as good as any other source I use. (Stanton CD player + Sony home/pro Minidisc decks)

All of my digital music is encoded at 320kbps and directly from store bought or music service (ERG) CDs.

Connection to my mixers is via 1/8" to dual (L/R) RCA OR 1/8" to dual (L/R) 1/4".

Al
                      KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

What accessories are worthwhile buying when you order these things? Are the Apple accessories over-priced? How do you "charge" these things? USB? A dock?

How's the video capture quality on the iPod Touch? Is it any good in a dimly lit room?
                        Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

What accessories are worthwhile buying when you order these things? Are the Apple accessories over-priced? How do you "charge" these things? USB? A dock?

How's the video capture quality on the iPod Touch? Is it any good in a dimly lit room?
                          Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Al Poulin
                            View Post

Al

Al, I've seen the Sony's at Costco. I think they were going for about $90. Somebody was telling me something about the down-side, but I don't recall specifically what that was about. I'm wondering if it didn't have to do with iTunes incompatibility,,, I just don't recall. Any thoughts on that?

Frankly, I doubt I'd need 64 GB's capacity, unless the camera/video capability of the "Touch" is good/very good.
                            Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Al Poulin
                              View Post

Al

Al, I've seen the Sony's at Costco. I think they were going for about $90. Somebody was telling me something about the down-side, but I don't recall specifically what that was about. I'm wondering if it didn't have to do with iTunes incompatibility,,, I just don't recall. Any thoughts on that?

Frankly, I doubt I'd need 64 GB's capacity, unless the camera/video capability of the "Touch" is good/very good.
                              Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

Working...
                              X