Forced to Use the House PA/Sound Guy

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twostone

View Post

So what kind of in house PA rig did the place have ?

JBL SRX mains and subs, JBL wedges (not sure which model), Crown something or other power, A&H board (again not sure which model - the guy told me but I do not recall - i know it was not a mixwiz - and it had 4 monitor mixes available). I didn't get to see any of the other stuff. I used my own vocal effects (Voicelive 2).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dcastar

View Post

Sounds like a successful night.... and you to hope to look forward to playing there again.

Hek yeah. Its good $, great crowd, they have a sound guy who knows how to use the system - and it is 6 mi. from my house.

• Members

Honestly, these types of gigs seem to be more prevalent than a lot of people think they are. If your gig was anything like the ones we played with this setup, then you probably had to pay the sound man out of your band's "take." That's how we had to do it at least. Sometimes gigs like this can be good because usually places with this arrangement have good sound engineers and great equipment and the added benefit of having a nice built-in crowd so you don't have to do all the marketing yourself. Sounds like it went well for you guys.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette

View Post

If your gig was anything like the ones we played with this setup, then you probably had to pay the sound man out of your band's "take."

Were you the one hiring the sound? Every time I work as a house tech I get paid by the venue, not the bands.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
If your gig was anything like the ones we played with this setup, then you probably had to pay the sound man out of your band's "take."
Ours not like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix View Post
Were you the one hiring the sound? Every time I work as a house tech I get paid by the venue, not the bands.
This.

• Members
Honestly, these types of gigs seem to be more prevalent than a lot of people think they are. If your gig was anything like the ones we played with this setup, then you probably had to pay the sound man out of your band's "take."
I certainly hope not. When you agree to a price any "attached strings" should be disclosed up front. If I show up and my $X turns into $X-production costs, then Houston, we have a problem.

I'm glad it went well, but often these "surprises" don't benefit the performer. The moral of the story is, when agreeing to perform at a venue you're unfamiliar with, you need to ask this kind of stuff at the time of booking versus being pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised when you show up. If you are providing PA you should ask about the capacity of the room and the layout. If you think your own PA might underwhelm you may need to ask more questions and do some homework like finding out other bands that play there to see if it looks like you're in over your head.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix View Post
There are a couple of clubs in Long Island that are highly coveted by bands who desperately want to play there. If you play there, you know well in advance that YOU are paying the house sound man out of your take. You either agree to those terms or you don't play those clubs, period.

And the reason these clubs are so highly sought after by bands is because the places have huge built-in crowds that pay your cover charge and you can still obviously bring your own people down. I am not saying this is ideal, but I can promise you that in these clubs, even with the bands paying the house sound man, the band will make more money in the end. So while, on spec, I think this is a terrible setup, in the end, you make out better.

• Members
You either agree to those terms or you don't play those clubs, period.
I guess it makes sense given the circumstances, but it's still an odd way of doing things. They may as well make the bands front the cash to stock the bar and provide all the staff and security as well. Do the sound guys get an equal cut of the band earnings or is it a flat fee?

The venue I'm working in now was built by a local rich dude. He died recently and now his subordinates are running the place, but nobody has any idea what they're doing. I guess what they plan on doing is renting the venue at a fee, and expecting the promoter/band to stock the bar and provide all the staff. It doesn't make any sense. Obviously the venue isn't making money because they're undercutting themselves with a flat rental rate instead of taking profit on all the booze sales.

On the other hand, it's great because me and the bands are making out like complete bandits.

• Members

I have done these places as well. I don't mind at all since neither I or anyone in my band do this for real money (just gas and drink money really). It is nice not to have to setup all that gear, and even nicer to have a built in sound man who usually knows at least the system in front of him wink.gif

I have had good luck with this.

• Members

From another perspective, I'm not sure I'd take a job as an engineer based on a percentage of the bands take. What if the band sucks? If I work for the venue, then they pay me (a guaranteed minimum at least).

OTOH I MIGHT contract with a band to do their sound for a percentage as long as I know the band and something about the venue. There are a lot of variables like promo, etc that you as an engineer have no control over. I prefer not to risk my time (and possibly) reputation on too many unknowns.

Who knows though. If the Venue really ALWAYS books great music, does good promo and packs the place, I might change my tune (nothing is written in stone :-).

Archived