what is the best powered mixer to Use for a medium church

• Members

We are wanting to update our pa. We really have nothing but four 8 in speakers mounted in the ceiling. What powered mixer should you suggest... Wanting to get as cheap as possible but get something that will last many years.. Also needs to have at least 6 channels and phantom power.

• Members

The first thing you need to determine is if the speakers are set up on a 70 volt distribution network. If do, you have an entirely different situation than I suspect you realize.

You might need some professional assistance, and perhaps some additional upgrade might be worthwhile.

• Members

My friend - the fact that the speakers you have in the ceiling are 8" - actually IS interesting - but it does not really offer much information. You need to be thinking about how much power they are rated for - what their impedence is - and how they are hooked up (one to another and then also to the "amp"). All these factors will have to be known and considered before you decide how big of a - and which powered mixer you will need. (I am not expert in these matters however myself.)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
The first thing you need to determine is if the speakers are set up on a 70 volt distribution network. If do, you have an entirely different situation than I suspect you realize.

You might need some professional assistance, and perhaps some additional upgrade might be worthwhile.
Oh Yea.

AgedHorse must have been typing right when I was - I did not see his post when I was responding - he knows a lot more than me.

But my point was still sort of the same - you need to figure out what you have before you go hooking up a new amp - or you could ruin everything you have.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundman11 View Post
i found two that would be good for u http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XML410/ http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMP2000/ i would also replace the speakers i found some that will work with both mixers
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ium-pa-speaker
Like I said, it would be money and effort well spent to look to somebody that does this professionally for better advice. IMO, this is money flushed down a toilet, but the cost of the advice is about what it's worth...

• Members

I think you are coming at this from the wrong end. First, what do you want that you don't have now? Perhaps even sound from the worship team throughout the room? Perhaps being able to hear the pastor anywhere in the room? These are guesses because you haven't told us.

I don't like powered mixers for a number of reasons. First, the power is usually in the wrong place. You want your amps close to the speakers, not close to the mixer. Second, the form factor. It is easier to mix when the faders are near horizontal, not vertical. Third if your church grows, you will want to change the mixer or the amp and it is inconvenient to have them in one box. Last, with the right information, this is a real good time to buy the right used analog mixer. A lot of people are switching to digital and there are a lot of good analog mixers out there. There is also a lot of worn out never was much good junk out there so you need a guide. Last, A good mixer and a good amp can cost less then a powered mixer.

I get that you want to spend as little of your churches money as possible, but the reason that everyone jumped is that people in general and churches in particular tend to wast to much money on the wrong stuff. It is said that most churches buy 3 sound systems before the get it right.

Your options are about like this. Make your best guess, spend $350 or so on a powered mixer. Figure out that it doesn't solve your problem, spend $600 or so on the next step, Figure out that isn't it, start over and spend $4000 on a new system from the local music store, Now you have a real problem. First the system isn't great but it doesn't suck and you can't spend anymore, so you are stuck with it. After 10 painful years you bring in a pro. He tests the room, makes some computer models, and recommends that you replace half your stuff. That will cost you $2000 for the right stuff and $1000 for his services.

You take him aside and ask what it would have cost to start with an empty room and he tells you about $3000 plus his $1000.

OK so I am the bad guy trying to make your problem complicated, why don't I like churches. I am a Christian, and a church sound guy, I run sound for my church, and oversee the tech team. I have run sound for hire for other christian events and other churches. I like church sound and I think it is important. I have heard a man tell our church that he came out of curiosity, he stayed because he enjoyed the great music. As he hung around he heard the plan of salvation and understood and accepted Christ as his personal savior. I heard that testimony through a good system. His voice was good and clear and everyone could hear him. I had my hand on the fader to make sure of that.

Look around, talk to other churches, find a good sound professional, check his references to be sure he is good, then hire him and do what he says.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundman11 View Post
i found two that would be good for u http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XML410/ http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMP2000/ i would also replace the speakers i found some that will work with both mixers
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ium-pa-speaker
Thanks... I've been lookingat that Samson as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelYoung

View Post

Thanks... I've been lookingat that Samson as well.

It sounds like you might be ignoring some very good advice from a few of the other posters that do live sound for a living and know a lot more than you and I. I seriously suggest you take their input into advisement. Ignoring it will cost you in the long run.

• Members

The church has an older radio shack amp with two inputs... It runs one mic and pushes the ceiling speakers fine. We cannot run condenser mics off this system or run any music thru it right now because of the inputs. Were just wanting to upgrade something small. Not trying to build a system for ozzfest. We are adding a couple drop down mics and might be able to mic a bluegrass band or something.....a don't have thousands to spend

• Members

I do not play my guitar gear in church... I play my Martin but nothing electric. It is a simple baptist church that doesn't want a lot of gear. Just something to add some fullness. None of the members that sing even gets close to a mic.. They just don't use anything, this is a big step for them

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MichaelYoung View Post
The church has an older radio shack amp with two inputs... It runs one mic and pushes the ceiling speakers fine. We cannot run condenser mics off this system or run any music thru it right now because of the inputs. Were just wanting to upgrade something small. Not trying to build a system for ozzfest. We are adding a couple drop down mics and might be able to mic a bluegrass band or something.....a don't have thousands to spend
What would be the point of using a condenser mic with a system like that anyway. The response of any decent dynamic mic would far exceed that of your in the ceiling speakers.

Either you are doing major trolling action or really have no clue that what you are saying makes no sense.

I repeat... professional assistance would be money well spent.

Archived