X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building two dual 18" subs

hay everyone i want to build speaker boxes for some 18" subs that I got from a friend, but i never built any before so i need some help. i have four of them i think two are eminence and two are sound barrier 800 watts each unfortunately thats all i know right now.can u please help me make these subs

Quote Originally Posted by soundman11
    View Post

hay everyone i want to build speaker boxes for some 18" subs that I got from a friend, but i never built any before so i need some help. i have four of them i think two are eminence and two are sound barrier 800 watts each unfortunately thats all i know right now.can u please help me make these subs

That's not enough information to make a drawing or even think about a design. In fact, it's less than useless.

Why don't you do a little internet research to see what might be involved, then ask your question.

Comment

Unless your drivers are worthy (value), most likely it'll cost more to build something than to buy a pre-built/pre-load speaker.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Which rig to take out to a show?<br />
      Aspects over B2 or the QRx212 over QRx218 rig</div>

Comment

Having the TS parameters of the drivers will help. Eminence has quite a few 18" models, I have not seen SoundBarrier drivers anywhere ...

What size of box can you transport?

What kind of power will you hit them with?

What type of music will they be used with?

DIY is educational and can be fun, but like others have said is not necessarily the frugal option, "especially if you need additional amps/processors".

If you need specific advice on box construction the community at Partsexpress, speakerplans, or DIYaudio can give some tips.

I have a feeling the "donated" drivers are probably not really worth the hassle/cost of construction of top notch baltic birch double 18" cabinets and if they are really low budget drivers then they are not even worth the trouble of fabricating a cheap box.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">The wheel is an extension of the foot</div>

Comment

the drivers are in pretty good shape i am going to test them and do some research to night. they are paper surrounds 800 watts rms each 8 ohms 33hz fs 3 1/2-4'' voice coil. two in one box should make it 4 ohms 1600 watts rms.

Comment

• twostone
            twostone commented
            Editing a comment

It's always good to do one DIY project to get it out of system since most folks don't design speakers for living such as Harman who owns JBL or Danley that do design speakers for a living and know all the science of what it takes to design subs that don't suck.

Working...
        X