Are the HC forums ever going to be stable again?

• Members

I know there have been threads asking about the HC forums in the past, but good grief. Over the last several days now the forum doesn't load about 75% of the time. Roughly 1/2 of my replies to threads end up going out the window so I have to paste them into another application before submitting so when lose it I can resubmit.

This has been happening off and on for years now and it's well past embarrassing. Activity is down, new users can't get in to post questions. Simply put, the basic functional tenets of a forum are just not here.

FWIW, in the last week I've been frequenting soundforums.net. No problems there. Everything is fast and stable and there's even a mobile app environment. There might be that choice in my personal settings here, but that link has been "spinning" since I started typing this facepalm.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but the neighborhood is going to hell.

It took 3 tries to post this mad.gif

• Members

I doubt it. The forums have been f*cked for so long now that it has become blatantly obvious that the site owners (the Guitar Center conglomerate) and/or sysadmins don't give a flying crap. I realize that this is a large site with a lot of traffic but a company like GC has more than enough resources to get their act together and put up a working forum if they want to. The fact that this forum has been broken for years (since before the HC 2.0 debacle) and continues to get worse and worse is enough of an indicator that they simply don't care.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BillESC

View Post

I was surprised when it loaded for me today, shocked really...

Sadly, that pretty much sums it up for me to ... shocked when it does work. Oh well, I suppose it's consistent with the prevailing sentiment we tend to have about sound gear - "you get what you pay for". Clearly, we're getting what we paid for in terms of forum performance.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001 View Post
I doubt it. The forums have been f*cked for so long now that it has become blatantly obvious that the site owners (the Guitar Center conglomerate) and/or sysadmins don't give a flying crap. I realize that this is a large site with a lot of traffic but a company like GC has more than enough resources to get their act together and put up a working forum if they want to. The fact that this forum has been broken for years (since before the HC 2.0 debacle) and continues to get worse and worse is enough of an indicator that they simply don't care.
Unfortunately, this is the only plausible explanation. Obviously "they" don't think the value of the forum is worth the resources needed to stabilize the environment.

It would be a pity but at this point I'd be in favor of just bringing over the post counts and user names and start fresh on content. Let the dinosaurs die and start a new day. As it is now is just a pathetic shell of what is used to be. The other options are "moving on" or accepting the definition of insanity and continuing to hit "refresh" until the page loads. Until this week this is the only forum I've spent any real time on in my internet life. Sadly I have one foot out the door.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jorn View Post
Guys,

There is a long discussion about this link over at drummerworld.com

http://thetoneking.com/wp/life-suppo...guitar-center/

Apparently Guitar Center is not doing that well.

thx

jorn
That link doesn't work and I feel weird posting it in a Guitar Center owned forum, but if you google it's easy to find. I had no idea, but it certainly explains some things.

Oh, and it took 12 tries to post this!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001 View Post
I doubt it. The forums have been f*cked for so long now that it has become blatantly obvious that the site owners (the Guitar Center conglomerate) and/or sysadmins don't give a flying crap.
I think it's dangerous to make that assumption at any time. You never know what may be tying a person's hands...

-Dan.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane View Post
I think it's dangerous to make that assumption at any time. You never know what may be tying a person's hands...

-Dan.
How can any other assumption be made? It's not rocket science, it's a damn internet forum and it's been years now since it's been stable. When dividing resources it's clear the forums were low on the totem pole and not given priority of time or money. The only other explanation is total incompetence. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt there and figuring it's just apathy and there were larger fish to fry. Understanding the gloomy financial state of the owners of this forum I'm not necessarily faulting them. I may make the same decision. Still, it is what it is, a complete disaster that's not that hard to fix, despite the excuses. It just takes time, but not 2 years, and money.

Archived