X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back-up guitar amp

I am a small 1 man sound company and until now I have no backline gear. However, in the last year I have run into guitarists with amp problems twice and am thinking about carrying a small guitar amp as a spare for bands. I'm thinking something like a $99 Fender Frontman 25r. It's definitely not something that I would expect a band to be happy about, but their other option is to DI the guitar and rely on a stage monitor to hear themselves. In the 2 instances one guy went the DI route, the other guy use an acoustic guitar for everything rather than switching to a solidbody for the songs he had planned to use it. Is a Frontman 25r better than nothingor a waste of my money & pack space? Any suggestions on something else cheap & small. I don't play so I would be a terrible judge of testing a used amp and I kind of like the idea of getting the little Fender in red and no one will confuse it as being their own.
    www.RunningSound.com

Something in me says that you are responsible for your gear and the band should be responsible for theirs. Just me.
    NSA - The only government agency that actually listens to what you have to say.

Comment

I should add that I only expect someone to use the clean channel as all bands I support run pedal effects. The guy that ran through a DI sounded fine through the PA. I don't understand why people use expensive tube amps when no one really hears their amp through all the effects.
      www.RunningSound.com

Comment

Something in me says that you are responsible for your gear and the band should be responsible for theirs. Just me.

I completely agree, but for very short money I can be a bigger hero than normal to them.
        www.RunningSound.com

Comment

Sometimes I have to bust out my Sansamp Bass DI because bassist has a bad DI on their amp. Maybe a amp sim pedal would be more ideal then lugging around a guitar amp that you might use once or twice in a years worth of gigging.

Comment

Sometimes I have to bust out my Sansamp Bass DI because bassist has a bad DI on their amp. Maybe a amp sim pedal would be more ideal then lugging around a guitar amp that you might use once or twice in a years worth of gigging.

This sounds like a great option provided you have enough monitors and monitor mixes to give the guitarist an individual mix.

Comment

I haven't been asked for a backup guitar amp in over 30 years...

Comment

Is a Frontman 25r better than nothingor a waste of my money & pack space?

Yes

not a bad idea..but
                __________-------------------------------------__________________________---------------
                "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ---Albert Einstein

What is more liberal than this ?? )
                We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union ...

Comment

Vox Valvetronix.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
                  <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
                  -For Sale: <br />
                  -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
                  -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
                  - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
                  - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
                  - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

Comment

I'll suggest a Fender Blues JR. That's what I have... and it gets used a lot as a back-up guitar amp. Everybody who's needed to use it seems happy with it, especially considering the alternative (acoustic electric guitar).

Comment

I'll suggest a Fender Blues JR. That's what I have... and it gets used a lot as a back-up guitar amp. Everybody who's needed to use it seems happy with it, especially considering the alternative (acoustic electric guitar).
                      Awesome amp - but over $500 , the OP was looking for something around $100.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Personally, that amp would be my recommendation as well. It's a solid piece and doesn't get too loud. There have been times when working at certain places where I wished I had a Jr around just so I could tell the guy that he needs to shut his Twin or Super or whatever off and stop deafening the customers.

But yah, you're right, it is a lot more than a cheap solid state amp.

I advise against it: anything short of something like the Jr. and (totally just an opinion) you might as well go DI.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">My Business: <a href="http://lubbock-media.com" target="_blank">Media Production in the Texas Hill Country</a></div>

Comment

I have a Roland Cube 30. You can find them for about $100 used. They sound decent, get pretty loud, and have decent effects built in. And they're durable. It would be a fine backup amp, so I'd recommend that.

Personally, I wouldn't provide a guitar amp to bands. If their stuff doesn't work, it's not your fault. If you do buy a $100 amp, and someone needs it, I'd say charge them $25 to use it with no exceptions. At the current rate, you'll have your amp paid for in 2 years. Or maybe not, as the band will have an amp magically appear from somewhere the second they hear something is going to cost them money...
                          B.

Comment

Well... ok... I'll suggest the OP take a dump in his left hand, and another in his right hand, rub the two together... and well... there you have it... plug the cord in where-ever it fits.

sorry... I missed the $100 pipedream performance suitable thing... otherwise I'd have blown by this thread. To me, a $500 performance grade backline amp that likely has a 20+ year life expectancy and similar history and is slightly bigger than a Fender Champ but kicks ass and sounds good doing it... probably cost effective.

Comment

BTW a guitarist in one of the bands I work with bought one of those and it totally fixed his "too loud" crappy tone. He had a Hotrod Deluxe before that, he never could get that to stay at a reasonable volume. As I said, the Blues Jr is an awesome amp :love: .

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Working...
                              X