Peavey 115 International Series III?

• Members

I picked up a pair of these speakers on Craigslist just for fun.... I got them pretty inexpesive thought I would mess around with them. I hooked them up to my IPR3000 and :eek: They sound great. Totaly suprised me way better sounding then I expected.

Wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these?

I relize they are probly 20+ years old but seem to be a pretty good Speaker. Any Thoughts???:idea:

• Members

Remember them well.

The Peavey 115 International had a 1505 Black Widow, a 22A on a CH3 flare and a HT94 supertweeter. The ht94 gave a little more high end of course than just a 15/22a driver setup in an sp2. More of a shorter throw box

Check the horn drivers in them. They have a way of unscrewing from the horn lens. ( The larger horn not the HT ) Do those have the some what anoying 3 pin inputs for biamping or the regular 1/4 inch jacks?

The older ones had the 3 pin setup.

The box is on the inside a little bigger than the SP2's of the same time period. (Maybe even today) so the low end is a little better than the sp2 box.

They do make good , average output drum monitors when placed one on top of the other. Great for key board monitor as well.

Dookietwo

• Members

I have a mix of gear JBLPeavey they seem pretty comparable (I might get bashed for that???) the system at my church runs all Peavey Mains, Moniters, AMP's, ect....So now that I'm putting my own system together I've been leaning towards Peavey because thats what I've always used. Right now I have JBL 18's and Peavey tops . I hope to get a pair of tops to match the 18's.

• Members

Do those have the some what anoying 3 pin inputs for biamping or the regular 1/4 inch jacks?

Yes I'm not sure how that works they have 2 14" jacks. one for full range and the other for bi-amp low imput then the 3 pin jack in the middle. not sure if I'll bi amp them or not they sound good at full range. but only 400 watts (from what I can find) biamp I could put more watts into them but I'm not sure how the 3 pin works???

• Members

Ugh...bought a pair of those used from a good friend many years ago when he was helping me out in a pinch (needed rehearsal PA for a band). Got in a bind a few years later when the company I was at folded and sold them for a slight profit, but many's the time I wish I still had them since then.

• Members

I remember a keyboard player back in '88 using one as his keyboard speaker on stage. Even from my station in the wings cross-stage running lights, that thing sounded great and would flat rip your head off.

The same band used two stacks per side of the the Peavey Project I series stacks for 600 people indoors. Folded horn for lows, midbass, and a giant radial horn.

• Members

Remember them well.

The Peavey 115 International had a 1505 Black Widow, a 22A on a CH3 flare and a HT94 supertweeter. The ht94 gave a little more high end of course than just a 15/22a driver setup in an sp2. More of a shorter throw box

Check the horn drivers in them. They have a way of unscrewing from the horn lens. ( The larger horn not the HT ) Do those have the some what anoying 3 pin inputs for biamping or the regular 1/4 inch jacks?

The box is on the inside a little bigger than the SP2's of the same time period. (Maybe even today) so the low end is a little better than the sp2 box.

They do make good , average output drum monitors when placed one on top of the other. Great for key board monitor as well.

Dookietwo

Yep I'm not sure how the 3 pin jack works though. It has 2 14" jacks as well, full range and biamp low input. sounds good in full range but I could get alot more out of them biamping.

• Members

I had some at one time.

Good sounding speaker, especially compared to other Peavey offerings of the era. A physically unwieldy box -- Cube shaped, maybe 5 cu ft/90 lbs -- like trying to lift an 18" sub up to shoulder height to mount/stack.

• Members

When the 3020s were stacked on top of the counterpart 4x15 sub cabs, they were a pretty impressive sight! IIRC, the driver in the baby cheeks HF driver was prone to failure and, more often than not, were left non-functional. Oddly, the 4x15 sub cab used Scorpion drivers, not the BWs.

• Members

I picked up a pair of these speakers on Craigslist just for fun.... I got them pretty inexpesive thought I would mess around with them. I hooked them up to my IPR3000 and
:eek:
They sound great. Totaly suprised me way better sounding then I expected.

Wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these?

I relize they are probly 20+ years old but seem to be a pretty good Speaker. Any Thoughts???
:idea:

Old Peavey pro sound gear = scary. New Peavey sound

gear = better. The Sp1 comes to mind being junk. Ok im being nice here.......

• Members

The 115 internationals were a good sounding box, if i recall. I could replace the ht-94 diaphragm with a aftermarket JBL bullet tweeter diaphragm. There used to be a guy around here with 4 stacks per side of the 3020 and matching subs. The grills were attached to the baskets and made the 2x the price of the standard scorpian basket. I never heard a pair with a actal working vertion of the ht-94 ( the 22a didnt have a low pass filter so it went alth the way out) he would bridge 1 cs 800 per cabinet Cabs and the amps were not fun to move ( 16 old cs 800's) ( + just for fun this guy never wrapped cables and had no patch pannels and we had to hook up the amp side bare wire). comb filtering heaven but loud. there was a co around that replaced the horns with a jbl 2" horn and driver ( probably a knock off). These were in tons of rooms in the late 80's and early 90's in tacoma and north seattle. Also popular was the McCauley horizontal dual 12" w/ a 2" and dual 15"s.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I rebuilt a pair of these, mine are three way 15" low frequency drive, horn midrange horn tweeter.

The diaphrams on the tweters were blown so I bought, re soldered the new ones and also soldered all new 1/4 plug jacks.

The xover had bad caps for the high frequency i believe, so i replaced them with polypropelene caps not the electrolytics.

I removed the bass speaker baskests and removed and cleaned the voice coil gaps.

Soon after I bought (2)  new black widow baskets.

They sound great.

Archived