Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 115 International Series III?

I picked up a pair of these speakers on Craigslist just for fun.... I got them pretty inexpesive thought I would mess around with them. I hooked them up to my IPR3000 and They sound great. Totaly suprised me way better sounding then I expected.

Wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these?

I relize they are probly 20+ years old but seem to be a pretty good Speaker. Any Thoughts???

peavey makes good stuff. i have four of the subs for those tops
    band status - "its complicated"

Comment

Remember them well.
      The Peavey 115 International had a 1505 Black Widow, a 22A on a CH3 flare and a HT94 supertweeter. The ht94 gave a little more high end of course than just a 15/22a driver setup in an sp2. More of a shorter throw box
      Check the horn drivers in them. They have a way of unscrewing from the horn lens. ( The larger horn not the HT ) Do those have the some what anoying 3 pin inputs for biamping or the regular 1/4 inch jacks?
      The older ones had the 3 pin setup.
      The box is on the inside a little bigger than the SP2's of the same time period. (Maybe even today) so the low end is a little better than the sp2 box.

They do make good , average output drum monitors when placed one on top of the other. Great for key board monitor as well.

Dookietwo

Comment

I have a mix of gear JBLPeavey they seem pretty comparable (I might get bashed for that???) the system at my church runs all Peavey Mains, Moniters, AMP's, ect....So now that I'm putting my own system together I've been leaning towards Peavey because thats what I've always used. Right now I have JBL 18's and Peavey tops . I hope to get a pair of tops to match the 18's.

Comment

Do those have the some what anoying 3 pin inputs for biamping or the regular 1/4 inch jacks?

Yes I'm not sure how that works they have 2 14" jacks. one for full range and the other for bi-amp low imput then the 3 pin jack in the middle. not sure if I'll bi amp them or not they sound good at full range. but only 400 watts (from what I can find) biamp I could put more watts into them but I'm not sure how the 3 pin works???

Comment

Ugh...bought a pair of those used from a good friend many years ago when he was helping me out in a pinch (needed rehearsal PA for a band). Got in a bind a few years later when the company I was at folded and sold them for a slight profit, but many's the time I wish I still had them since then.
            For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

I remember a keyboard player back in '88 using one as his keyboard speaker on stage. Even from my station in the wings cross-stage running lights, that thing sounded great and would flat rip your head off.

The same band used two stacks per side of the the Peavey Project I series stacks for 600 people indoors. Folded horn for lows, midbass, and a giant radial horn.
              Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

Remember them well.
                The Peavey 115 International had a 1505 Black Widow, a 22A on a CH3 flare and a HT94 supertweeter. The ht94 gave a little more high end of course than just a 15/22a driver setup in an sp2. More of a shorter throw box
                Check the horn drivers in them. They have a way of unscrewing from the horn lens. ( The larger horn not the HT ) Do those have the some what anoying 3 pin inputs for biamping or the regular 1/4 inch jacks?
                The box is on the inside a little bigger than the SP2's of the same time period. (Maybe even today) so the low end is a little better than the sp2 box.

They do make good , average output drum monitors when placed one on top of the other. Great for key board monitor as well.

Dookietwo

Yep I'm not sure how the 3 pin jack works though. It has 2 14" jacks as well, full range and biamp low input. sounds good in full range but I could get alot more out of them biamping.

Comment

I had some at one time.

Good sounding speaker, especially compared to other Peavey offerings of the era. A physically unwieldy box -- Cube shaped, maybe 5 cu ft/90 lbs -- like trying to lift an 18" sub up to shoulder height to mount/stack.
                  -

Comment

Heavy as hell. Big too, as soul-x pointed out.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

i'm bettin a shiny nickel they aint as heavy as an HDH4
                      band status - "its complicated"

Comment

i'm bettin a shiny nickel they aint as heavy as an HDH4

Prabably not all that much less, and it's not capable of anywhere near the output (think Yamaha Club).

It does extend a fair amount lower though.
                        -

Comment

While we are on the topic of 80s-era Peavey stuff...anyone remember the 3020HT and the matching 4x15 subs?

I remember hearing some of these a time or three:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-3020-HT-Full-range-PA-speakers-1-PAIR-2-each-/200686641549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb9db 218d

Comment

There are people around seattle still asking 1500+ for 4 boxes of the 3020s!
                            www.rock-bot.com
                            Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

When the 3020s were stacked on top of the counterpart 4x15 sub cabs, they were a pretty impressive sight! IIRC, the driver in the baby cheeks HF driver was prone to failure and, more often than not, were left non-functional. Oddly, the 4x15 sub cab used Scorpion drivers, not the BWs.

Comment

Working...
                              X