New Powered Speaker line from Yorkville

• Members

Et tu Yorkville?

They used to market the program power, and even name some models after it (NX550P), but now using peak, sigh. And how is 4400 W derived out of 1400 program? Usually it's speced like speakers 700RMS, 1400 program, 2800 peak. So where is 4400 coming from? What a joke.

• Members

"""They used to market the program power, and even name some models after it (NX550P), but now using peak, sigh. And how is 4400 W derived out of 1400 program? Usually it's speced like speakers 700RMS, 1400 program, 2800 peak. So where is 4400 coming from? What a joke.""""

Right. Using program power is kind of a question mark that always came with yorkville specs but now 4400 watts peak? (The point of my thread) Marketing gone Wild!

• Members

I just took a look at the product description, and the way I'm reading it, the 4400w peak rating is the amp-modules' peak rating,,, and the 1400w program rating, is the speaker cabinets' power-handling rating. The 15" box does 129dB "continuous" / 134dB Peak..

If you look at a K-Series box for example; they never tell you what the speakers' power-handling capacity is,,, they just talk about the amp-modules' rating.

One of the other "big guns" (EV I think), talks about a "continuous" rating,,,, and when you dig into the specs a lil' deeper, you realize that they're talking about "continuous music-power",,, in other words, "program power",,,, not RMS.

It's a mine-field out there.

• Members

Those in the know understand why it's more profitable marketing to the unwashed masses. Once folks get off of their "I'm an expert because I read the magazines and study the DJ internet sites, and actually learn about what things mean, the truths and realities become much clearer. Unfortunally, that represents less that 10% of the market.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Those in the know understand why it's more profitable marketing to the unwashed masses. Once folks get off of their "I'm an expert because I read the magazines and study the DJ internet sites, and actually learn about what things mean, the truths and realities become much clearer. Unfortunally, that represents less that 10% of the market.

So I guess what your saying is "size matters". Well **Bleep**!

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

• Members

The 4400 are watts that were sent back to earth from the future and... wait, that show's off the air already.

I just did a gig with a fellow that was saying the new QSC speaker line was better than the old QSC 122's because the K line were 1000 watts. I asked him if he really thought his 40 or 50 watt horn was actually seeing 500 watts and he got my point.

But the real point is that BS in marketing works. And it works all too well.

Archived