Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stupid stories!"

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this an old hand who was dangerous or a green newbie who was dangerous as a "sound man"??

Sound engineering may not be rocket science, but it's a lot closer to that then digging ditches. Sounds like this particular "sound man" shouldn't be trusted to dig ditches either. He'd probably bury himself.
    That's my opinion and it oughta be yours. - Makk Trukk, WSIX, Nashville, Tn.

If I experience any more personal, emotional or spiritual growth I'm gonna puke. - DJP, 10/05

Yeah, exactly! There's some things that maybe you DON'T want to fix at the source!! - Ken/Eleven Shadows on the Castrati, 3/06

Ghost Train playing Shake, Rattle & Roll
    Goofball web page featuring Sunshowers/Sparkle Shoes.
    It's WMA format.

Comment

• Originally posted by fantasticsound
      Was this an old hand who was dangerous or a green newbie who was dangerous as a "sound man"??

Well it was at a school, and the dude who was "running sound" was just some guy (student) who had "done some sound stuff for them before."

I was shaking my head the whole night.

The problem as I thought but stupid me couldn't figure out until later, was that the stage space was so crampt (battle of the bands) that my bass amp was placed in front of the kick drum of my drummer. So sound guy places mic inside kick drum, with amp like 2 feet in front of it. We're getting a really low-end feedback and the dude thinks it's the guitar mics for some reason. I knew it was the kick drum straight off, but I couldn't figure out why for some reason. I guess some of his idiocy must've rubbed off on me.

Comment

• This isn't a PA related story, but it is the funniest thing I have ever seen on a stage.Playing in Dallas one night and the other guitar player broke a string which flew up and stuck right in the middle of his forehead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mogwix

Well it was at a school, and the dude who was "running sound" was just some guy (student) who had "done some sound stuff for them before."

I was shaking my head the whole night.

The problem as I thought but stupid me couldn't figure out until later, was that the stage space was so crampt (battle of the bands) that my bass amp was placed in front of the kick drum of my drummer. So sound guy places mic inside kick drum, with amp like 2 feet in front of it. We're getting a really low-end feedback and the dude thinks it's the guitar mics for some reason. I knew it was the kick drum straight off, but I couldn't figure out why for some reason. I guess some of his idiocy must've rubbed off on me.

Can you say, "recipe for disaster"? I knew you could!

It never ceases to amaze me how people hire professionals for all kinds of services, but when it comes to sound and lights it takes a really big show before the average person thinks they should find someone who really knows what they're doing.

Most people would never put someone who thinks they know how to build stuff in charge of manufacturing sets for a play. But the same people will find any schlumpf who's spoken into a microphone and make him a soundman.

And they wonder, when everything goes to hell in a handbasket, why their "soundman" couldn't do the job well.

Duh! You hired an unskilled lay person to do a skilled job. Does the phrase, "he knows just enough to be dangerous" mean anything to you?!?

(Morons...)

If I experience any more personal, emotional or spiritual growth I'm gonna puke. - DJP, 10/05

Yeah, exactly! There's some things that maybe you DON'T want to fix at the source!! - Ken/Eleven Shadows on the Castrati, 3/06

It's WMA format.

Comment

• Originally posted by fantasticsound

Can you say, "recipe for disaster"? I knew you could!

It never ceases to amaze me how people hire professionals for all kinds of services, but when it comes to sound and lights it takes a really big show before the average person thinks they should find someone who really knows what they're doing.

Most people would never put someone who thinks they know how to build stuff in charge of manufacturing sets for a play. But the same people will find any schlumpf who's spoken into a microphone and make him a soundman. (And wonder, when everything goes to hell in a handbasket, why their "soundman" couldn't do the job well.

Duh! You hired an unskilled lay person to do a skilled job. Does the phrase, "he knows just enough to be dangerous" mean anything to you?!?

(Morons...)

Then again, it was a school battle of the bands. Usually those are "free" events for the students, or charge a buck or two get in, you're working with a production budget somewhere between $0 and $100. The "production staff" usually consists of the bands themselves, and maybe some of their friends. PA and lights are often made up of what's either on hand or can be brought together by the participating bands.

So while this is the textbook "recipe for disaster", the "worst case scenario" is usually somewhat irrelevant for the school. Since there's very little upside for the school itself outside of giving the kids something to do, it really doesn't matter to the administration if the sound sucks or the lights don't work.

Short of catching the place on fire or causing a riot, most school battle of the bands are just a minor annoyance for the school.
            OS is kind of like imaginary numbers-- something theoretically useful, but who doesn't acually exist.

Only in OS's case, instead of generating recursive fractals, it's simply that the mass of **************** which fills him is greater than the mass of a similar, hypothetical mass of **************** at 0 degrees Kelvin.

I call this phenominon "dark ****************," and while it is useful to explain OS, dark **************** violates a number of laws we know about matter.

-scarecrowbob, 1/6/07

Comment

• See, this is where I have to disagree.

It's a school. Every kid in that school has a parent or gurardian they live with, who in addition to their chosen profession has hobbies. Some of them even know a thing or two about sound.

My point is, if you're going to hold a battle of bands at a school, make it a priority to secure a knowlegable volunteer to run sound. Don't give excuses why it isn't feasable. There are huge liability issues in addition to the obvious sound quality issue that should be addressed. If the school can't provide a basic level of competance in holding such an event then they shouldn't have it in the first place.

I'm not trying to keep schools from having such events. But if they choose to, there should be competant people in charge of sound and/or lights just as certain as there should be competant chaperones to ensure a safe, enjoyable event.

The level of "it's not a big deal" I'm perceiving is disturbing to me.

It's WMA format.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Steve
                Usually those are "free" events for the students, or charge a buck or two get in, you're working with a production budget somewhere between $0 and $100.

The school in question was a private catholic school, a rather huge school with lots of money to throw around. They rented a decent system (pair of LS700P subs, e215 cabs, 16-channel stage snake, 16 channel mixer) and let this **************************** take care of it.

This is how the auditorium was set up.

Note the speaker placement, lack of monitors, and the location of the stage snake (that's seriously where it was).

Comment

• Yeesh!

It's WMA format.

Comment

• So all this time I had a great stupid story and didn't realize it. Nobody said the STUPID part had to involve me.

It all starts with the band I'm in needing a new keyboard player. We place an ad on a local website and get a call from a guy that's been gigging for years with another local band. He explains that he wants to leave because the front man is acting strange (more on this in a moment). Within the month the keyboard player joins our band. His instincts are soon confirmed.

I'd seen this band once before. It was named after the front man (The ___ ____ Band). I walk in and immediately see the lead singer dressed in a Santa outfit just singing away and running around the bar. A few minutes later he starts singing "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down. He proceeds to strip out of the Santa outfit during the song, revealing a Superman costume. .... and the new keyboard player said he was acting strange????? I can only imagine.

Anyway, during all of this I notice that a good 1/3 of the stage is a large curtained cage of some kind with a count down timer on it. Turns out it was his personal changing room as he changed into several costumes per set. The timer was for when they went on break so you'd know when HE, I mean, the band, would be back.

OK, now that I've prefaced, here's the real story. Fast forward about 3 months. A few of us had just set up in the restaurant/bar we were playing that night and were grabbing a bite. We get a call from one of the band wives that Mr. ____ _____ was just arrested for robbing a grocery store. We then are told he did it while wearing .... a Santa suit. He ended up convicted on a second robbery of the same chain store where he was wearing a chicken outfit, another band costume.

If that wasn't enough, one of the stores he robbed was one he'd previously worked and he reportedly was addressing people by name.

Perhaps the best part is the irony in his former "position" with this company. He way employed as the company mascot for the area and routinely wore a penguin outfit.
                    PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                    Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                    www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

• This isn't nearly as funny as some of the great stuff I've read here, but I just had to share it. It certainly qualifies as class "A" stupid.

A friend of mine does a lot of work installing sound systems into churches. He is great at what he does. On the other hand, churches tend to not have a clue when it comes to sound.

One day he got a call from a church where he'd done an install. It was about 2 hours away from his shop. They told him that certain mics weren't working, and immediately he recognized that the phantom power was off. He carefully explained to the man how to solve the problem, but the guy became irate saying that he knew enough about sound systems to know that this was no simple issue. He demanded that my friend do an emergency visit right away. So, off he goes. He meets the guy at the church. Turns the phantom power on. Boom, everything works. They guy, fully chagrined at this point, says, "you're not gonna charge me for just flipping a switch, are you?"

I believe you all know the answer to that question.
                      - Greg

"I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane."
                      - from that great philosopher, Waylon Jennings

Comment

• Sweeeeeeet!

It's WMA format.

Comment

• goFish... I had something almost identical to that happen on one of our installs, but it was mute switches. I tried to talk the guy through but he wouldn't listen to me. He was really pissed when he got the bill but that's the way it goes.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

• Yeah, he's told me so many stupid stories, he could probably write a book (which only the few of us would truly appreciate).

He told of a guy he was doing a church system install for who decided not to buy everything in the quote. And that was just fine. Until... the guy comes walking in with a bunch of equipment that he'd went out and bought at Guitar Center.

Now, we all know that GC is a candyland carnival of all sorts of wonders to behold. But my buddy was furious and told the guy that he could have matched or beaten all the prices he paid. To top it off, the guy expected my friend to install all of it. Free.

He did so. He did not charge a cent for the additional install. But strangely enough, the final bill mysteriously reflected the profit my buddy would have made had he sold the additional equipment.
                            - Greg

Comment

• Bump...

.....and an addition to this awesome thread.

Our first show ever about a year ago, we are playing a bar. The singers uncle owns it (supposedly).

We were supposed to go on at 9pm, so we get there at 80. We start loading in the back door, the drummer took some gear in, comes out looking confused and says "There's no one in there, the place is dead." About then I'm rolling in my amp and the bartender says "What the hell are you doing, I'm getting ready to close"...I say, well I'm playing a show in about 30 mins so you better call somebody, you aren't closing. So, I go find the singer, well, i find him and he's DRUNK.(that's a whole different story)..he has no business even doing a show, anyhow I tell him call your uncle. Now our friends are starting to show up and the bartenders refusing to serve them, and she tries to throw them out.
                              Finally his uncle shows up, well to find out he doesn't OWN the place, but appartently he should own stock in it as much as he's there. And he FORGOT to ask the owner. The bartender wanted to close because it was slow (I wonder why). Finally it got all settled the owner let us play, but by this time a bunch of our friends got pissed off and left, the bartender ran off everyone else, so we played for a whole 7 people....

www.reverbnation.com/chroniclesofmayhem
                              www.myspace.com/chroniclesofmayhem

Member of the Jackson/Charvel Army

Member of the Cult of Crate

Comment

• bump
                                - Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X