Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stupid stories!"

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a national news ENG team boldly take a feed from what they thought was an audio feed without asking. Turns out it was ClearCom that they unplugged and smoked the input to one of their frightfully expensive cameras. Tried to blame me (I had no idea they were even there and they never asked, just unplugged a cable and put in an XLR "Y". I pointed out to them the media section with 40 broadcast feeds available for them... IF they had a working camera. No sympathy here. This was for a premiere of the movie Apollo 13, with James Lovell in person as the honored guest speaker.

I'll bet he never does that again!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

• I've been really lucky with jounalists. Most camera guys in Nashville are very familiar with clearcom and ask for a feed rather than find their own. on my board.

Break the fingers of the man who unplugs anything in your setup without asking first. He has it coming...

The guy you describe, Agedhorse could very well have unplugged an open line and blown your speakers.

Hopefully he has a little more respect for audio and those who operate it. But I'm guessing he doesn't.
      That's my opinion and it oughta be yours. - Makk Trukk, WSIX, Nashville, Tn.

If I experience any more personal, emotional or spiritual growth I'm gonna puke. - DJP, 10/05

Yeah, exactly! There's some things that maybe you DON'T want to fix at the source!! - Ken/Eleven Shadows on the Castrati, 3/06

Ghost Train playing Shake, Rattle & Roll
      Goofball web page featuring Sunshowers/Sparkle Shoes.
      It's WMA format.

Comment

• Anyone stupid enough to tap into a cleacom probably can't operate a speakon connector. (DON"T GET ME STARTED!)
        C++ for dummies:
        do.this()
        do.that()
        on.error(
        blame.microsoft())

Comment

• Hey, XLR is XLR right? 3 pins pointing at you MUST mean audio coming at ya!

AS
          AS = Abhi Shivraj

Recently quotable quotes
          I stumbled across this today, something people should keep in mind: Dunning-Kruger effect - Gregidon

Comment

• Originally posted by fantasticsound
            The guy you describe, Agedhorse could very well have unplugged an open line and blown your speakers.

Hopefully he has a little more respect for audio and those who operate it. But I'm guessing he doesn't.

Fortunately, my return lines are all balanced and transformer isolated so plugging and unplugging returns is silent, and I had no phantom power on any input channels so that wouldn't have been a problem either (other than scilence at a critical moment) BUT there was no reason why he should have touched anything on his own without permission and I was a little more than mildly pissed. My guess that the repair on his camera was pretty costly. The camera was probably $25k itself.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

• Wow what a great thread. Must keep it alive.

The stupidest thing in this story, which contains several, is that we ever took the following gig.

The layout is that I'd become friends with the father of a bigass white hiphop star from NYC, who summers in our little seaport town. His daughter was getting married, and she wanted to have the wedding by the ocean. The father had been advised that we were the hot band in the area.

Now, we're an OK band, for a small town cover/blues outfit. The father called me to see if we'd do it, and I said certainly not -- you couldn't find a band less appropriate for the NY hiphop crowd. Fine.

A week later he called and said he'd asked around among the several top-flight musicians that live in the area; they weren't available (no fools they), and they'd mentioned us. He said something about money not being a problem. I said no again, but he pressed and asked if his daughter and her boy-toy could come hear us at a practice. This would put an end to it, thought I, so yeah, send her over.

Oddly enough, she loved the band. What could I say? Against my better judgement, I said we'd play for 2 grand.

Keep in mind that everyone in my band gets along just fine. We've been friends for years -- been playing (at that time) for maybe 15 years. Oh, and the drummer had just completed a course in broadcasting, during which he'd acquired what he supposed to be a sonorous radio announcer voice.

So, we get to the gig and are told we have to play like 5 hours, which implies having to dig pretty deep into the list. Which of course implies salting the first set (the least important) with some notso-hotso material. This set went off with nothing worse than a few withering glances. That was before the demons arrived.

During the break this gorgeous NYC babe comes out to join us smokers, and we're all like "Cool, we're hanging with a hot NYC babe". Then she opened her mouth. Never have I heard such a barrage of profanity, and I wasn't born yesterday. We all exchanged glances and moved carefully away, half expecting rabid bats to start flying from her mouth. Sheeit. Then out comes the bride to bitch us out for having stopped playing -- we'd been told that the hiphop guy would be spinning the platters between sets, but she was having none of that. Sheeeeit.

Anyway, we got what was coming to us during the second set: undisguised contempt, including silly dancing and mimicry of our persons. Finally the father pays me off and says we're free to go. Beautiful. I tell the guys, which prompts the drummer to uncork his radio announcer voice. I mean, in a non-demon infested environment he's a sensible guy, but this night he thought it was important to, like, congratulate the bride and groom, to thank everyone for having us, etfreakincetera. Which evoked a neck-slash sign from the bass player, which started the two of them hurling insults through clenched teeth.

Getting our gear out of there was the longest half hour of my life.

Things stayed bad at the joint we hit on the way home (demons must have followed us), but this is too long already. Moral: always listen to that still small voice when it's saying WHAT ARE YOU, FOOKIN CRAZY?
              Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -- Philo

Comment

• Originally posted by agedhorse
                I had a national news ENG team boldly take a feed from what they thought was an audio feed without asking. Turns out it was ClearCom that they unplugged and smoked the input to one of their frightfully expensive cameras. Tried to blame me (I had no idea they were even there and they never asked, just unplugged a cable and put in an XLR "Y". I pointed out to them the media section with 40 broadcast feeds available for them... IF they had a working camera. No sympathy here. This was for a premiere of the movie Apollo 13, with James Lovell in person as the honored guest speaker.

I'll bet he never does that again!!!

Ok, so now that I know you can't plug a clearcom into a mic input, howsabout 'splainin' why it can't be done.

-Dan.
                Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

• Originally posted by IsildursBane

Ok, so now that I know you can't plug a clearcom into a mic input, howsabout 'splainin' why it can't be done.

-Dan.

ClearCom has ground on pin 1, audio on pin 3 and power (+24V or even higher) on pin 2, so the mic preamp sees a differential mode +24V (current limit is about 2 amps rather than common mode 10mA or so for phantom power) which can cause problems IF the mic preamp's input circuitry is not protected against this.

[note... I may have function of pins 2 & 3 reversed]

Comment

• Originally posted by ashivraj
                    Hey, XLR is XLR right? 3 pins pointing at you MUST mean audio coming at ya!

AS

We were playing a gig and my bass player borrows a friends bass amp & cabinet (yes, he's really, really cheap!). So, as I'm setting up, I hand him an XLR cable and told him to plug it into the back of his bass amp. So, he points to the back of his bass 'cabinet' and shows me the xlr output. In my haste I figure that it was the DI output. And, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the output from his amp went into another XLR input right next to it??? So, as I'm getting levels for his bass, it's REALLY, REALLY HOT! So I trim it down as far as possible. I didn't have time to trouble shoot it then, so we limp thru the gig.

Next practice, I don't know why that channel doesn't work. I find out it is blown. Hmmm...I wonder how that could have happened???

Fortunately, the mixer is still under warranty & we get it fixed no questions asked.

Later, it dawns on me that the XLR output was for daisy chaining speaker cabinets. DOH! I was running a amplified signal into my board. DOH! and DUH!!!!!

Johnny

Comment

ClearCom has ground on pin 1, audio on pin 3 and power (+24V or even higher) on pin 2, so the mic preamp sees a differential mode +24V (current limit is about 2 amps rather than common mode 10mA or so for phantom power) which can cause problems IF the mic preamp's input circuitry is not protected against this.

[note... I may have function of pins 2 & 3 reversed]

from another website:

This Clear-Com system uses 3 pin XLR connections for station interconnection. The pinout is the following:

* Pin 1: The pin 1 is common ground.
                      * Pin 2: The Pin 2 carries the station power (24-30V DC up to 100 mA per station, typically 50 mA).
                      * Pin 3: The audio is carried using pin 3.

I'd say you are correct sir!

All this talk about Stupid Stories and Clearcom reminded me of another...

We had recently cleaned out an industrial warehouse full of Opryland's old props and their sound services' unused gear. It was a mess and more than once they told us to pick up what appeared to be cable spaghetti in boxes and chuck them in the dumpster. On two occasions I dropped those boxes in the back of my car. Among lengths of cable and whatnot was a ragged looking Clear-com box and a headset extension cable.

I was called in to run spot on a gig and asked if the communications were on Clear-com. A co-worker said yes. So I unplugged the unmarked communications box from my position before the show started and tried plugging in my new acquisition. There was a LOUD pop through the headset. (Glad I wasn't wearing it!) I quickly unplugged the Clear-com and replugged the other box. Fortunately, all was fine with the other com.

I asked to see the com base-station and, sure enough, it was an RTS com. (Few, if any, of the com companies use compatible systems. I was very fortunate I didn't fry the whole system, not to mention my own Clear-com box.)
                      That's my opinion and it oughta be yours. - Makk Trukk, WSIX, Nashville, Tn.

If I experience any more personal, emotional or spiritual growth I'm gonna puke. - DJP, 10/05

Yeah, exactly! There's some things that maybe you DON'T want to fix at the source!! - Ken/Eleven Shadows on the Castrati, 3/06

Ghost Train playing Shake, Rattle & Roll
                      Goofball web page featuring Sunshowers/Sparkle Shoes.
                      It's WMA format.

Comment

• Glad the fuzzy memory is redeemed

There are 2 basic intercom formats... balanced and unbalanced.

ClearCom is the most popular of the unbalanced formats and Telex is the most popular of the balanced formats.

The balanced formats send audio and power over pin 2 & 3 just like phantom power is sent, audio is the differential mode signal and power is the common mode signal. The differential mode amps ignore any common mode (power) signal.

It's pretty hard (though not impossible) to damage intercoms as they are pretty well protected.

Comment

Glad the fuzzy memory is redeemed

There are 2 basic intercom formats... balanced and unbalanced.

ClearCom is the most popular of the unbalanced formats and Telex is the most popular of the balanced formats.

The balanced formats send audio and power over pin 2 & 3 just like phantom power is sent, audio is the differential mode signal and power is the common mode signal. The differential mode amps ignore any common mode (power) signal.

It's pretty hard (though not impossible) to damage intercoms as they are pretty well protected.

so clear com is pin 2 hot right?

- oh brother... even I thought that was bad..
                          -token canadian

Lest we forget: double-blind tests make audiophiles look twice as stupid. CRAIG V 2007

Just for fun, what do you think would happen if you decided to take a nap in the fast lane of a freeway? agedhorse -2008

Funny, I'll bet I have a good one sitting on my shelf. agedhorse -2008

Comment

• Originally posted by kevinnem
                            so clear com is pin 2 hot right?

Lol...well it is an unbalanced system...those dont work on pin3 hot systems

Comment

• Funny, from previous threads you would think I didn't know jack- **************** eh?

Comment

• We do more than a few gigs a year where a soundman is provided.

Now, I can get along with anybody...I am going to work with the FOH to the best of my abilities and I expect the same respect.
                                However, there is one particular company that works shows around the Deep South that for whatever reason carry a bigass chip on their shoulder and like to run their shows as if they are god almighty.

The year before we worked a little festival where I knew I would actually need a backline for my keys (don't rip me, sound dudes, trust me on this). Well, this FOH guy starts bitching and moaning about my backline, and just used it as a scapegoat against my band, the entire set.

To top it off, our contract states we get to use our own mics, which really sends this guy over the edge.

One of our friends comes up to the stage and says it sounds good out front, but for some reason, the soundman looks like he is about to lose it... no matter, we get through our set and strike our gear.

Our guitarist goes back to the console to be courteous, and the soundman just lays into him..."I hope I never have to work with you people again...I have never had anybody cause me more stress than y'all!"

I walk by him as I am leaving, and he leaves his console and starts walking toward me telling me that I was very unprofessional by insisting on using a backline.
                                I told him that he had someone who new how to run monitors, and new how to create a proper stage setup, I would have left it at home... he turns fire engine red and tells me; "**************** off you fat piece of ****************!". I laughed and went on my way.

Okay...fast forward a year later...same little festival, same sound company...I've got something for his ass. It's a new keyboard.
                                A Yamaha Motif ES6.
                                There is a patch on this board called "gtr/bassfx".
                                On adjoining keys, there is a sample of a 60-cycle buzz like if your instrument cable comes unplugged, and a sample of RF noise.

I have a multi-patch set for every song in our set with those sounds mapped onto the lowest keys of my board.

While we are setting up, I make sure the 60-cycle hum sounds out for a few seconds. Soundman comes up to the stage and flips the ground lifts on a couple of the direct boxes, which actually sets off the real thing. After a couple of minutes, he thinks he's got it straightened out.

While playing the last couple of notes of our first song, I make sure the RF noise is going as the song ends. Soundman looks up with an alarmed look and starts walking towards the stage.

When he gets within five feet, I lift my finger off the key.
                                He still is clueless as to what is happening, and as he starts walking back to the console, I hit the ground lift on my DI.

Well, he sees its my channel making the noise and he hits the talkback and tells me to hit the ground lift on my DI.
                                Problem solved.

After two songs, I couldn't help myself and I cued up the RF noise again, just for a second. Soundman is turning that interesting shade of red, again.

As we conclude our set, I turn the volume up on my keys and (just like any other patch, these sounds are velocity sensitive) really hammer both of those notes to get both noises going very loudly, at once, and set the edge of one case on the sustain pedal, so the noise is continuous.

I see soundman slam all the faders down on the console, and he comes walking quickly towards the stage and informs us that we have **************** equipment and that he will advise the promoter to not book us next year.

He did us a favor, not having to work with his bitchass again.
                                Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

Working...
                                X