Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbl bump
    character is what you do when no one is looking

baldo

Comment

• On a recent trip, I samples the cuisines of several Asian countries. I thought I would try the Sea Cucumber... turns out it's an animal similar to the Sea Slug. I changed my mind in a hurry. Texture to much like "giant land slug".

Lesson? Ask more questions BEFORE ordering.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

• I saw those sea cucumbers on fear factor and thought tey didn't look so bad. Slugs are bad. I woudn't eat either

Comment

• It didn't look so bad until they got close to my mouth... I don't need to eat a Fear Factor meal.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

• oooooooh... you guys have no idea what you're missing out on! Sea cucumbers has a really nice texture to it and goes well with just about any other type of sea food. I know, I'm chinese However, you really have to know how to cook it and what to cook it with.. .if not it'll be horrible.

Anyway, back to some sound stories (pun intended!). Not sure if i've already posted this but worth telling. A story of how good some people think they are.

I'm doing my final year in a music tech degree and a couple of months ago, I had to handle a recording of a Jazz concert by the people in my faculty. So some of my imbecile coursemates decided that they wanted a piece of the pie and got themselves on the job, they were women, you see.

So this one girl, who has an over-inflated selfworth happilly declares that she WILL handle the mixer because she's good at it while the rest of us (actually, just me) will be laying the cables, checking, etc. So on the day of the sound check, she arrived late and only came after I laid all the connections. Firstly, she didn't which channel was with which mic/instrument. And secondly, I loved the look on her face when she saw the 32 channel mixer at the venue. it was a nice combination of and ... classic... I should have stopped there but i thougth "what the hell, give her a chance, she sounded confident the day before"

So, we proceded to start on sound check and everything in the FOH was fine. HOWEVER, there was nothing coming out of the monitors. So i double checked with her if the auxiliary sends were on and she said yes. I rechecked every single connection for about a half hour! Then really pissed, I walked to the console area and checked the mixer. Guess what? She had all eight SUB-GROUPS on full power but nothing was sent to the AUX. So I screamed at her and she just went "Oh, ok."

Then, as i walked up back up to the stage area, I told her to switch on (off the AUX mute) the AUX and bring up the AUX mix. Still no sound from the monitors. She went like : It's already swtiched it on!!! So like the fool i am, I rechecked the connections for another half hour. And yet again i had to walked back to the console area to check the mixer. Guess what again. She didn't un-mute the AUX!!!! So I screamed at her again, and she went "yeah, yeah..." THEN, just as the players were in the middle of a song, she just unmuted the AUX without checking the levels and BOOM! I could have sworn seeing the tenor fall flat on his ass!

And what does she have to say for all this? "oh, i haven't used a mixer like this before." Go figure.

Lesson: trust no one when doing sound!! hahaha...
            2004 Dillion DR1500QX
            1990 Hamer Centaura
            1995 Squier 'Frankensquier' Strat
            2002 Takamine AN-45 w/ Fishman Matrix Active P/U
            198? Morris "Tornado" ZV
            Adrenalinn 2; Danelectro Daddy'O; Danelectro Cool Cat (thanks to tonemeister); Boss DD3; Boss PH1 (original version!)
            Gas list:
            Hamer Chapparal, Carvin DC127, Rickenbacker 650D, Fender HM, Gibson SG-X, Lakewood, ANY tube amp

The Hamer Squad
            Member of the Squier Army

Comment

• Originally posted by lucho_84
              I saw those sea cucumbers on fear factor and thought tey didn't look so bad. Slugs are bad. I woudn't eat either

"didn't look so bad" should never be used in a description of your meal

Comment

• Bump for Mr. Knobs.

Please?
                DJ's on the radio
                Karaoke in the shower
                ¬°Support Live Musica!

Comment

• Originally posted by rangerkarlos
                  Bump for Mr. Knobs.

Please?

What?

Terry D.
                  Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrKnobs

What?

Terry D.

C'mon Terry... don't play dumb

I'm Jonesing for another chapter!

Comment

• Originally posted by agedhorse

C'mon Terry... don't play dumb

I'm Jonesing for another chapter!

Everyone is free to contribute! This thread ain't just about me.

I will tell all of the stories in the index. Just have to get in the right mood.

Terry D.

P.S. Today I'm recovering from an upper GI barium swallow test. Wouldn't have been so bad, but halfway through the flouroscope's computer locked up, and they had to repeat the entire series. After I'd drunk half the barium!
                      Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrKnobs

Everyone is free to contribute! This thread ain't just about me.

I will tell all of the stories in the index. Just have to get in the right mood.

Terry D.

P.S. Today I'm recovering from an upper GI barium swallow test. Wouldn't have been so bad, but halfway through the flouroscope's computer locked up, and they had to repeat the entire series. After I'd drunk half the barium!

Terry;
                        Sorry to hear you're having medical difficulties. Just be glad it was an upper GI and not a barium enema.
                        Eschew Obfuscation.

Comment

• terry 'd' - on a GI note...you can be glad that the following story didn't happen to you.

my mother-in-law had a barium series and didn't expel the barium in time.

it set up like concrete in her gut and made for a hell of a painful couple of days. talk about severe constipation. too bad it happened to my dear, dear mother in law.
                          character is what you do when no one is looking

baldo

Comment

• Terry - I feel for you man, I dealt w/ kidney stones and it was freekin' painful for a few days straight. Haven't things settled down now that you've retired?

Comment

• Originally posted by baldo
                              terry 'd' - on a GI note...you can be glad that the following story didn't happen to you.

my mother-in-law had a barium series and didn't expel the barium in time.

it set up like concrete in her gut and made for a hell of a painful couple of days. talk about severe constipation. too bad it happened to my dear, dear mother in law.

It's supposed to come out?

"Set up like concrete." Now THAT would be ironic.

Terry D.

Comment

• Originally posted by agedhorse
                                Terry - I feel for you man, I dealt w/ kidney stones and it was freekin' painful for a few days straight. Haven't things settled down now that you've retired?

(a) I'm not retired. Out of concern for my coworkers, I went to the upper management and told them the things the new boss was doing. I really didn't expect them to believe me, considering how crazy some of the things are. Nor did I expect them to do anything about it if they did, because they have a lot invested in him and think he's going to bring in a lot of money. To my surprise, they did what any smart manager would do and simply separated us. Now I'm on a different floor, and he is no longer my supervisor. They are treating me exceptionally well, possibly because they don't want me to take it to the vice pres. of the university or bring in an attorney. That's all great, but it still leaves unresolved the issue of rights to some stuff I've invented that I'm no longer allowed to work on. I also retain the concern for my former staff who are being bullied and abused just like I had been. More about this as it develops.

(b) Health issues. On Jan 4th I had chest pains, my fingers turned blue, I became dizzy and nauseous and I fainted. I then spent just 3 hours in the emergency room at the hospital across the street from my office. I managed to rack up a bill for $20,000 not all of which my health insurance paid. My wife, who is a clinical pharmacist, and director of pharmacy at a hospital, showed up, reviewed my chart, and advised me to check out of the hospital against medical advice, which I did. Off and on for the next three weeks I had a battery of heart related tests including echo cardiogram, stress test, cardiac enzymes, and CT scan of my coronary arteries. It was determined that I have zero percent blockage and I'm very fit for a 52 year old. None of the doctors who were sure it was a cardiac problem think that anymore. So now their guess is I have a lesion or ulcer on my esophagus near my heart, which might cause all those symptoms. Hence the barium and upper GI x-ray series. More about this as it develops also.

Thanks to everyone who expressed concern, I really appreciate it.

I'm not dead yet. I've placed my work problems and retirement possibilities on hold until I determine my health situation. In the meantime, I'm still working a 40-50 hour week at the scientist gig, playing one or two shows a week with my band, and having medical tests periodically.

In addition, the city has issued me a $2,000 ticket for having a well-maintained, covered boat in my driveway where I've kept it for 17 years. I didn't know that was illegal, but someone has apparently complained. So I have 30 days to rectify the situation, which I've decided to do by extending my fence forward and putting a drive gate in it. This requires a survey (done) because the existing fence was built by idiots and manages to encroach on both my property and my neighbors. In any case, the existing fence, formerly made of cedar, is now mostly made of mud donated by the billions of friendly termites who thoughtfully used it to replace the wood they consumed.

My neighbors are illegal workers and run a construction yard out of their back area, so they are understandably touchy about city inspectors and surveyors. They also do not speak a word of English. When the surveyors planted their little flags marking the property lines, my neighbors freaked out and thought I had called for a survey because of some shrubs they'd planted. They yanked every shrub out of their back yard before I returned home from work.

Using an interpreter, I spoke with my neighbor for the first time since he bought the house a year ago. He has a large crew of illegals so he volunteered to do all the reconstruction labor for free if I would pay for the materials. Actually, he volunteered the materials as well, but he was going to reuse his one year old torn down fence from the other side of his property, which the city just tore down because they're reconstructing power lines. I passed on that because we have severe termite problems and I want to use galvanized metal posts.

We had a good (interpreted) conversation about almost everything. He apologized for the state of his back yard and said he'd get it all cleaned up (he kept a horse there for a while, and still has a lot of construction equipment and aggregate stockpiles.). I told him no sweat, I hope my studio isn't too loud for him. We both had a laugh and agreed the cops aren't either of our friends.

So that's how it stands. As you can see, my entire life is pretty much a stupid story.

Terry D.

Comment

Working...
                                X