Bose 1800 VI

• Members

Bose 1800 VI

Hi,

I am solo musician (in Portsmouth, England) playing acoustic guitar and singing.

I recently bought a pair of Bose 802s (for live work in pubs), but I haven't bought an amp for them yet. I have the chance to buy a second-hand Bose 1800 VI for

• Members

I don't think anything by Bose is ever a good deal. Looking at new versions of that amp, it seems to cost at least twice what it should, and as usual with Bose, their specs are less than spectacular.

You didn't ask, but those speakers are way, way less than ideal also.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Wheat

Bose 1800 VI

Hi,

I am solo musician (in Portsmouth, England) playing acoustic guitar and singing.

I recently bought a pair of Bose 802s (for live work in pubs), but I haven't bought an amp for them yet. I have the chance to buy a second-hand Bose 1800 VI for

• Members

Originally posted by boseengineer

The 1800 is pretty solid amp and a little over sized for a single pair of 802s. It can drive 2 pairs without breaking a sweat. The amp is not particular big but very heavy. If the price includes the EQ card, it might be a good solution.

The 802 needs external EQ, you can do that with the Panaray System Controller or with the old stand-alone EQ box, we you can sometimes find on e-bay for cheap.

If you use an external EQ any 2x250Watt (or thereabouts) into 8 Ohm power amp (of a somewhat reputable brand) will be fine and you can choose to optimize for weight, size or price.

You can find all specs of the amp and the speakers at

Why on earth does Bose keep producing speakers that need an external eq? Everyone else seems to be able to make reasonably flat speakers.

What's the logic behine using a bunch of 4" drivers? Why is Bose the only company on the planet that seems to find that a good idea?

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I don't think anything by Bose is ever a good deal. Looking at new versions of that amp, it seems to cost at least twice what it should, and as usual with Bose, their specs are less than spectacular.

You didn't ask, but those speakers are way, way less than ideal also.

I tried lots of other speakers, and the Bose 802s were *easilly* the best sounding for my sort of work (acoustic guitar and vocals). Warm & smooth, with wide dispersion (120 degrees -- very good for wide pubs), and (with the controller) not at all lacking in top or bottom end (as is often alleged).

Then again, musical tastes vary, just as in most things. All I would say is this: If you do the kind of thing I do, then don't be put off by the Bose bashers -- give the 802s a fair listen, and you might end up converted.

Dave

• Members

It seems reasonable that an 802 (or any speaker for that matter) could be "EQ'd" with a generic 30-band graphic EQ and/or a good multi-band parametric EQ, which one may likely have in one's rack anyway, rather than purchasing the expensive proprietary "black box" EQ device.

Is there published information on how to EQ various speakers, including 802's, by listing the problem frequencies? Or better yet, is that information on the internet somewhere? Maybe boseengineer can provide the information in regards to the 802's. I guess anyone with a RTA and a good set of ears could get a pretty good idea of where to start.

To the original question on the thread, I think one of the oft recommended QSC amps may be the way to go here, especially if you can get the information regarding EQ-ing the 802's.

• Members

My experience with the 1800I is that it is a solid reliable amp but very heavy and, either 3 or 4 rack spaces. I've never worked on one though, that may be a good sign.:D

Funny, Cerwin Vega made an amp with the same model #, size and look back in the late 70's and early 80's. Wonder if there was a connection??? Obviously not now, but originally???

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

My experience with the 1800I is that it is a solid reliable amp but very heavy and, either 3 or 4 rack spaces. I've never worked on one though, that may be a good sign.
:D

Funny, Cerwin Vega made an amp with the same model #, size and look back in the late 70's and early 80's. Wonder if there was a connection??? Obviously not now, but originally???

The amp IS heavy (ouch), but its only 2U (3.5") at least all the incarnation that I've played with. I don't know about the Cerwin Vega amp, but the amp is an orginal Bose design, they guy who designed it is still with the company (and it's been a while).

• Members

Originally posted by picker13

It seems reasonable that an 802 (or any speaker for that matter) could be "EQ'd" with a generic 30-band graphic EQ and/or a good multi-band parametric EQ, which one may likely have in one's rack anyway, rather than purchasing the expensive proprietary "black box" EQ device.

Is there published information on how to EQ various speakers, including 802's, by listing the problem frequencies? Or better yet, is that information on the internet somewhere? Maybe boseengineer can provide the information in regards to the 802's. I guess anyone with a RTA and a good set of ears could get a pretty good idea of where to start.

To the original question on the thread, I think one of the oft recommended QSC amps may be the way to go here, especially if you can get the information regarding EQ-ing the 802's.

That would certainly be possible but its awkward unless you have good measurement setup. On most 3rd octave EQs that I've measured the actual EQ curve looks quite different than the picture off the sliders imply.

You could check the data and spec sheets on http://pro.bose.com for an EQ curve. If it isn't there, I won't be able to publish it either (legal policy).

If you can get the controller on e-bay for a reasonable price, that would be by far the simplest solution.

Dave, here is another thought. There was a version of the controller, that was stuck in the lid (with some clamps). Just check the inside of the lids, if there is a little black box in there, you might be all set.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Why on earth does Bose keep producing speakers that need an external eq? Everyone else seems to be able to make reasonably flat speakers.

What's the logic behine using a bunch of 4" drivers? Why is Bose the only company on the planet that seems to find that a good idea?

I guess Dave answered the second question already. There are many people out there that feel the 802 works very well for their application.

The main idea behind an external EQ is for installations with many speakers (which is the main application for the 802). This way you only need a single controller that can drive all speakers. If you use an internal system EQ (which nearly all powered speakers these days have), you'd end up with a lot of duplicated work.

• Members

The amp IS heavy (ouch), but its only 2U (3.5") at least all the incarnation that I've played with. I don't know about the Cerwin Vega amp, but the amp is an orginal Bose design, they guy who designed it is still with the company (and it's been a while).

The original ones, circa 1977-1982 (MK-I or II, something like that) were at least 3 units, maybe 4, and about 65 - 70 lbs.

I run into them occasionally in installations where we need to re-foam the 801-802 drivers. What a pain.

• Members

It's certainly no fun lugging these around (even the new ones, which are 2U but still 35lbs or so). Maybe we should build them so they don't last 25 years and would already have been replaced with something a little more modern (smaller and lighter)
;)

boseinger! :p

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

boseinger!
:p

Now that would be an interesting wedding :)

For the record: I got curious and did some internal research: We don't make the 1800VI any more in-house. Its a "Bose branded amplifier from a reputable American manufacturer".

• Members

Now that would be an interesting wedding
:)

For the record: I got curious and did some internal research: We don't make the 1800VI any more in-house. Its a "Bose branded amplifier from a reputable American manufacturer".

Yes, my impression... ;)

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Hello there guys I'm new here I have problem with my Bose b1800 series vi. I have 5 , 2 of them were having problem with the regulator the r3/r4 were burnt. any idea guys what causing them to burn. I already swap the good regulator to the amp that has burnt regulator and it was working fine so I'm positive that regulator is the problem . Any help is much appreciated tnx

• Members

What speakers did you try out before picking up the 802's? 

I tried to get decent mix on a set for my cousins band and decided it was futile, even with the controller and 1500watt 50lb crest  amp...

My RCF310's are better IMO.

You can get (901) replacement drivers at Parts Express  for  $15 each right now that will work in a 802 btw.

Archived