Back Asswards Setup?

• Members

So, I'm looking at a very small room where it might make sense to set up the mains on the opposite wall facing the band - no real room for the mains or monitors on-stage. At what distance does the delay get to be too much for the vocalists? The lead singer will probably be out front and roaming the room but I'm more concerned with the backups...

• Members

If it's a small room you probably can't get far enough away for the delay to be an issue.  Or, if you have a gig at a larger place before going into this place try getting out in front of the mains and keep backing up until you notice a difference.

• Members

I've rehearsed that way many times, never seemed to be an issue.

And a VERY long time ago I used to regularly play this place in Vancouver called the Town Pump.  IIRC they had some or most of the FOH mounted on the opposite wall of a fairly narrow room, facing the stage. Although it was a little strange it was never really a problem.

I saw lots of artists there including Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown and Danny Gatton.  As I recall, no one ever had a hissy fit regarding the sound.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

At what distance does the delay get to be too much for the vocalists? The lead singer will probably be out front and roaming the room but I'm more concerned with the backups...

To answer your questions directly:

1)  Much of what we (humans) have evolved to hear is a combination of varying delays in sound.

2)  Sound generally drops-off as a square to the distance involved (inverse square law)... -6dB every doubling of the distance.

3)  Amplified sound throws a monkey wrench into that which our brains have evolved to process concerning reflected sound (amplified sound is a relative new-comer in human evolution).

4)  Human brains are wired to handily deal with up-to 30ms delay.  Pushing the envelope past 30ms starts to get messy... generally 50ms. is where the human brain switches to "echo" mode... because... in nature there's faint little reflected sound that reaches our ears from a reflection point 15ft. or more away... and something that's delayed 50ms or more and is clearly perceptible, that's an anomaly, so we try to sort out what's up with that

Archived