Production practice

• Members

A dream of mine looks like it may come true... being that I have our band talked (or goaded) into doing some full-on production practice sessions.  This will be a variety of production rigs... from pruned down to the bare essentials to substancial (sound & lights), set-up in a various typical venue acoustics rooms (read that as being generally less than ideal but probably realistic acoustics)... and we go at it... over & over till we get it to our ideal of right.

My head is swimming with ideas... all that stuff that I dearly wish I could do with a band at a show, but.... time and/or sociology and/or budget won't accomodate.... everything from formulating a stage plot, to FOH input list and monitor mix list to lighting gels & positioning to FX ques, to tuning the drums for SR, to developing a signature sound, to education for the band on what all the hardware is, how it works, and it's function, to developing an effective interface of the band with the BE and LD and visa-versa.

Everybody seems to be "into it"... the band and the BE and LD... a wide open opportunity with all the ways and means in-place.  And there doesn't seem to be any sacred cows (everything is available for critique, review, and change if necessary).

Like I said:  My head is swimming with ideas... I'm posting this to solicite ideas or aspects that I don't have swimming around in my head... or massage the ideas I do have.  Any thoughts/suggestions if you had this putty in your hands?

• Members

Mark,

That sounds like a FABULOUS idea. You need a roadie? :smileyhappy:

The guys I've been "playing" with, can't even be bothered doing a sound-check, let alone, develop a "signature sound". I really wish you luck with project. If the guys are all open to the possibilities, there's no telling where this will go. I envy your mission.

• Members

Bobby1Note wrote:

Mark,

That sounds like a FABULOUS idea. You need a roadie?
:smileyhappy:

The guys I've been "playing" with, can't even be bothered doing a sound-check, let alone, develop a "signature sound". I really wish you luck with project. If the guys are all open to the possibilities, there's no telling where this will go. I envy your mission.

Yea... I'm pretty jazzed up about it.

The idea came to me during practice... I'm a non-singing bass player (and like many bass players... I'm seemingly more in-tune to the production aspects than most any other in the band)... and the idea came to me while I was cooling my heels while the vocalists were working on their vocal harmony thing... for like a hour (or full minutes... whatever the case may be)... I was standing there thinking while they were working on getting it right... and I got to thinking:  "What I'd give to have this situation... but from a production standpoint."

• Members

this is always something that gets worked into our rehearsals. we talk about our show, what we should and shouldn't do, then I make suggestions on how to make it happen from a technical standpoint.

outside of that, I'll always set aside the time to test, prep and package the equipment so that everything is 100% streamlined on the day of the show. my bandmates don't know a whole lot about production, but they're interested and are willing to do what it takes to put on a good show.

I like my band.

• Members

Sounds like a great idea!   Hopefully you've got the practical space available to make that work.    As much as I'd love to do something similar - none of the projects that I work with have anywhere near enough room in their rehearsal space to set up our complete PA and lights.  The closest we ever get to that is the rare "extended sound check" at very local gigs where an early afternoon setup is feasible.

• Members

Production rehearsals are a great way to figure out if something works or not and how to massage it into a viable production element.

About 10 years ago, I provided sound for a few days worth of production rehearsals, they used a venue that was dark during the week and then in exchange for the space, they worked out a deal for playing a Fri and Sat. Of course, if you have drawing power it's a lot easier... this was Tower of Power. Some really great players in the band, wow.

• Members

Any band that's going to be doing production numbers, generally has  a music director. That guy, plans every note that's going to played or sung, by every performer on that stage, from instrumentals to vocals, and from start to finish.

I firmly believe that production numbers, are about "exciting the senses",,,, not a time for a mediocre approach. Visually, you've got lighting, and display, as well as bandmate inter-action.

Sonically, you can excite not only what you hear, but what you "feel" as well. IMPACT and DYNAMIC  RANGE, all within perfect balance.

Throw some really good female back-up vocals in there, and now you're "cookin' on high"

To me, the biggest difference between polished production numbers, and local mediocre rock-band acts, is the relative levels between guitars and vocals. In a sophisticated mix, the vocals will ALWAYS predominate.

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

Hopefully you've got the practical space available to make that work.   

Yes... that part's pretty easy... plenty available.  I have my shop, which is 30' x 70'... concrete floor & plywood sheeted walls... pretty lively room (boarderline awful acoustics... similar to many area venues).  There's also a restored 40's vintage theatre in the immediate area that I can rent for approx. $100/day... approx. 300 seat, nice stage, excellent acoustics.  I can also set-up a full-blown festival rig outdoors at my warehouse and have at it when the weather's nice... the closest neighbor is a couple miles away.

I woke up this morning thinking about this soundperson practice idea... it dawned on me this makes about as much sense as multi-track recording and re-takes in a studio setting (IOW:  It definately seems to make sense).

Archived