Older JBL Subs...what to do?

• Members

Picked up an older pair of JBL G-718 subs and found these loaded inside. Do these look familiar to anyone?  Sticker and markings seems to indicate a possible recone at DTH of Paducah, Inc.?  The boxes themselves are in decent condition and seem to be made of quality materials...and these speakers do work.  Do I find and reload the cabs with the original E-155-4's, something newer and/or better, or move these boxes along as fast as I can?

fetch?id=31023286&d=1394133049

• Members

I don't immediately recognize that driver but it kind of looks like an old PAS.

Frankly, that's a 90 lb moderately performing speaker even when correctly loaded and has not much resale value so if it works adequately as is, I would just leave it the way the way it is. Hope you didn't pay much for them. Ok small C level club speaker.

• Members

They were part of a storage locker that I've already broke even on.  If I dropped $300 worth of drivers into these things it seems as if I'd be lucky to have $300 subs!  Think I'll reload what was in 'em, drop the price, and move 'em on down the line.

• Members

Since quality replacement drivers are available, is the main limitation in this sub the cabinets design?  Say a guy (me) decided to redo these and dropped $450 into them...are there better pairs of subs available for the same money, or is it just that's it's a poor return on investment compaired to putting the money into better (all be it, more expensive) equipment.  Would there be a better choice for reloading this box than the original E-155?  I have a pair of 618XLF's, is there any senario where these older G-718...properly loaded and powered....would add anything positive to the mix?  I'm always looking for projects, just trying to start picking the smarter ones for my ears and wallet. 

fetch?id=31036538&d=1394134722

Archived