NAMM New EV powered speakers. ( Don't look Al ! )

• Members

EV has new powered speakers out. $399 for the 12 inch and $499 for the 15 inch. 127db output. Not the loudest but good spl for a fair price. The DSP section looks nice as well.

For anyone at NAMM. Is this a BI AMP box or is it a box with a single power amp and a passive crossover between the woofer and horn?

• Members

I'll be honest here and say that I'm getting annoyed more than anything else with all of these 1000 (ZLX), 1200 (Alto Black), 2000 (Mackie DLM?), 2000 watt Presonus and even 2500 watt (new Behringers). Oh wait, I forgot the worst offenders : Yorkville and their 4400 watt Parasource series. WTF?

Most of these new cabs look almost alike too - that is to say plain, black and sexy - similar in many ways to the QSC Ks. They all have these new LCD screens with single button that controls all kinds of functions and EQ presets. This actually scares me to have all of these controls only accessible from this one wonder knob. This watts game is getting to the point of being ridiculous. 

I'll stick to my little 350 watt RCFs, because quite frankly they ARE the best sounding little cabs I've heard - are as loud as the 1000 watt Ks and, combined with a sub or two, they simply sound as close to perfection as I've heard for music playback. I can also guarantee you my 500 watt KX12s eat these 1000 watt EVs for lunch. EV Live X 112 sensitivity? 94DB/W. KX12 sensitivity? 110DB/W for the horn and 100.5DB/W for the woofer. As I mentionned on another forum, you'd have to apply 8000+ watts to the Live-X 112 to achieve the 132DB max spec listed by EV.  (or more if you take power compression into account...)

OK, rant over.

Al   

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

Are these wood? Looks like a nice monitor for my set up!! Idk, the price is damn crazy.

Copied and pasted from their website ad

Lightweight, super-durable "composite" construction with unique hi/lo grip design for effortless pole mounting and portability

Pretty sure that's plastic their referring to.

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

Another video here.

And yet another! 

They look good and have some nice features at the price. Probably has around a 300x2 watt rms amp moduel inside just like all the other budget 1000+ watt boxes. ( Sales rep did say it was 1000 watts was peak/max).  

12p

1000 W (Class D); 126 dB max SPL; 50 Hz -- 20 kHz

12" woofer and 1.5" high-frequency titanium compression driver

34.3 lbs (15.6 kg)

Frequency Range 50 Hz - 20 kHz

Maximum SPL 126 dB

Power Rating 1000 W

Frequency Response 65 Hz - 18 kHz

Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) H 90

• Members

If you down load the owners manual here...

http://www.google.com/search?q=EV+ZLX+manual&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en

You'll find the Passive is rated at 250 watts rms - 1000 watts peak. So an amp with 500 watts or so RMS with a 1000 watt peak with the processing the DSP gives should be ok.

The passive boxes have a 1w1m rating of 95db for the 12 and 96db for the 15 so not the loudest box out there. Still its a low cost speaker from EV.

Not a mention of a bi amp setup in the manual. I'm going to email EV and see if I get an answer..   :smileyindifferent:

Dookietwo

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

If you down load the owners manual here...

You'll find the Passive is rated at 250 watts rms - 1000 watts peak. So an amp with 500 watts or so RMS with a 1000 watt peak with the processing the DSP gives should be ok.

The passive boxes have a 1w1m rating of 95db for the 12 and 96db for the 15 so not the loudest box out there. Still its a low cost speaker from EV.

Not a mention of a bi amp setup in the manual. I'm going to email EV and see if I get an answer..  
:smileyindifferent:

Dookietwo

Hmmm.

The RCF312a's are also rated at 127db.  I wonder how the new EV's would stack up against them?

Archived