Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are two foldback speaker better than one?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are two foldback speaker better than one?

One of the rock bands I work with loves loud foldbacks (well don't they all" id="smiley" src="https://guitarcenter.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-.png" alt=":smiley:" title="Smiley Very Happy" />). For the last couple of gigs I've been giving them two foldbacks per microphone/vocalist. Prior to this it was just one. 

I mainly use EV SX300s for foldbacks run off Yamaha P7000 power amps. I just doubled the speakers on each amp channel  - so they are know running 4 ohm loads per channel which I believe may provide some advantage.

The band is very happy with this new arrangement as it seems to provide more clarity with less feedback problems (Its obviously more gear and more work for me so I am thinking of charging them a little more).

It got me wondering if in general it is true to say that two foldbacks speaker per vocalist are better than just one?

Cheers

I'll often give the front man two - or at least ask him which is his good ear and position the monitor on that side :facepalm: LOL. You have to be careful with hypercardioid mics. Unlike the SM58 you do not want to position the monitor directly in from of it. Either put the mic in the stand "flat" (not pointing directly away from the monitor) or put the monitor(s) towards the side a bit.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

• Art Flood
      Art Flood commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks Road Ranger - main vocalist is using a 58 Beta and I have the foldbacks to either side of him.

I am sure that there is an element of 'they think two speakers are better than one' - I guess I am trying to understand if this is really true and why.

Cheers

Art Flood wrote:
    (Its obviously more gear and more work for me so I am thinking of charging them a little more).

band "hey man we really like the sound, but could you bring subwoofers and extra monitors next time?"

me "sure, but it'll cost you an extra $300"

band "$300?? to bring some extra speakers??"

me "you mean for two more amps, two monitors, two subs, another van w/ fuel and an asisstant for the night?"

Comment

• Art Flood
      Art Flood commented
      Editing a comment

Mogwix wrote:
      Art Flood wrote:
      (Its obviously more gear and more work for me so I am thinking of charging them a little more).

band "hey man we really like the sound, but could you bring subwoofers and extra monitors next time?"

me "sure, but it'll cost you an extra $300"

band "$300?? to bring some extra speakers??"

me "you mean for two more amps, two monitors, two subs, another van w/ fuel and an asisstant for the night?"

Yep - spot on!

Working...
X