Odd question, but bear with me

• Members

I have a gig coming up that will require me to basically set up the rig and leave it set up.....meaning once my mixer settings, eq, etc. are all set up thats how it will stay. I will not be there at the mixer tweeking it through the show. It will all be set withing the first few minutes and thats how it will stay.

There will be periods of time where the rig will be unattended, and there lies my concern.

Now, all my gear is rack mounted in road ready ATA cases and what I would like to do is, once the mixer is set, put the top on the case. Once the processing (eq, xover, delay etc) is all set, put the front of the case on. I need to do this to keep people from messing with it all.

For the amps I would like to do something similar. The amps are in 12 space ATA cases that have a mixer provision on the top, however I am not using a mixer in these cases so the top is empty. What I would like to do is leave the back of the amp racks off, take the tops off (where the mixer would normally be) and put the front of the cases on to keep people from messing with them. My concern is air flow, but with the tops and backs off I "think" I should be OK, but I don't know.

Anyone see any problems with this? The amps are all in 8 ohm stereo and levels will be fairly low so feel like I may be OK doing this, but I am not sure. As stated, my concern is heat build up, air flow etc.

• Members

.... My concern is air flow, but with the tops and backs off I "think" I should be OK, but I don't know.

Anyone see any problems with this? The amps are all in 8 ohm stereo and levels will be fairly low so feel like I may be OK doing this, but I am not sure. As stated, my concern is heat build up, air flow etc.

Yeah, I see nothing but problems with this. Air needs to flow. Period.

Also, leaving a system open with no control or oversight is just stupid. Sorry. I don't mean this to be rude, but a dope slap now is better than the dope slap the reality that this situation will/could bring. Don't be a jackass (and I mean this constructively)

• Members

There are security covers available from various vendors (such as Middle Atlantic) that are designed to keep folks from messing with the knobs and settings on rack gear. Some of the designs allow for airflow.

As for the mixer surface, are you just looking to keep casual hands off the controls? While you could put the top of the case back on (not latched), what about simply having a cloth cover over the knobs and faders? Would that be enough? Mark C.

• Members

I can see a few problems with putting the lids on and walking away. Not the least of which is that someone could take the lids off while the rig is unattended.

Could you explain why you need to set up this way?  Maybe someone here will have a suggestion as to how to do the gig another way.

• Members

If The amp noise bothers them during break, you almost need to remote the amps or get convection cooled amps. I believe fans are there for a reason (to love and adore you - sorry cheap joke :smileyhappy:). If you block the air flow you might be OK at low power (RMX amps are pretty bullet proof) BUT you are also causing undue wear & tear on the fans.

Question. If nothing need be touched, could you remote the whole system (like a nearby closet)? Possibly with just a couple of long XLR, Speaker & AC lines?

Just some thoughts

Archived