Shure PE65L

• Members

I bought a mint Shure PE65L + 20' cable off of Ebay yesterday for $25 ttl inc shipping.

I'm usualy hesitant to buy Shure mics used due to counterfiets (I have run into several myself - they are everywhere).

I remember the PE line from the 80s (I believe this is a rebranded 57 with a switch) and figured that nobody would counterfiet this one.

Am I correct that this is the equivalent of a SM57?

Any comments about this mic?

Cheers

• Members

JRBLE wrote:

I remember the PE line from the 80s 

According to my reference book, the PE65LLC (cardioid dynamic mic) was marketed sometime around 1998... list price was $145ea.

Ah... different reference book (15 years older) lists a bunch of Shure Brothers PE model mics, generally marketed between the late '70's to mid '80's, including the PE 65H-LC and PE65L-LC... both cardioid dynamic instrument mics... list price (back in the '80's) of somewhat north of $100ea... being just a little less than the list price for an SM-57.

Some assert that the PE65 was the presursor to the SM57... but I dunno (don't think so) as seemingly more authoritive records suggest the Unidyne III capsule in the 545 was the precursor to the SM (Studio Micropone) model 57 which, the SM57, debuted innabout 1966.

• Members

IIRC, the 545 was the precursor to the SM-57.

The PE series was a lower line that was more subject to discounting. The later PE's and esp. PG's were Shure's attempt at stemming the competition from off shore copies by making a mic that was not as good as the SM but far better than the copies (at that time). Folks looking for a deal were more inclined to buy a PE or PG than a no name copy (then counterfits hit and all nets were off).

The way to remember is that SM was the stage mic series, the PE was the professional entertainer series, the PG was the "pretty good" series, and the BG was the "barely good" series.

• Members

Audiopile wrote:

JRBLE wrote:

I remember the PE line from the 80s 

According to my reference book, the PE65LLC (cardioid dynamic mic) was marketed sometime around 1998... list price was $145ea.

Ah... different reference book (15 years older) lists a bunch of Shure Brothers PE model mics, generally marketed between the late '70's to mid '80's, including the PE 65H-LC and PE65L-LC... both cardioid dynamic instrument mics... list price (back in the '80's) of somewhat north of $100ea... being just a little less than the list price for an SM-57.

Some assert that the PE65 was the presursor to the SM57... but I dunno (don't think so) as seemingly more authoritive records suggest the Unidyne III capsule in the 545 was the precursor to the SM (Studio Micropone) model 57 which, the SM57, debuted innabout 1966.

Acording to the seller this mic dates back to the 80s. I remember a PE85 was essentialy an SM58. The price was the same and from what I remember they sounded identical. don't know about the PE65. I'll know when I can try it. They were made concurrently with the SM line (sort of like the EV RE & PL lines being identical except for the paint).

I thingk the unidyne 545 was the precursor to the 57 (and the unisphere 565 predated the 58) even though I think their production years overlaped.

The unidyne mics were not bad at all. Although not exactly the same as their descendents, they still sounded good and lasted forever (I think a friend may still be using a 545 that I "loaned" him back in the 90s).

I wasn't aware they re-released the PE line a second time. I would agree that the PG line (which is still made I believe) is budget  and doesn't sound very good but still fairly indestructible.

I'll spend some time on the Shure historical site and bone up :-).

Archived