Need light weight pa system

• Members

I'm looking for a light weight pa system. It for a trio of ladies so light weight is a major issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Price is an issue. They mostly sing for groups of 100 but have done one for 200. Most large churches have a system they can plug into. Thanks.

• Members

I was in the same situation a few years ago when my wife needed a lightweight setup for her band, ended up with a set of RCF310's that I now use as tops in my mobile rig. :robottongue:

The Yamaha DXR10 is lighter and has a better mixer built in, (you may be able to use it with a cheap unpowered passive mixer, one less thing to plug in), but in my experience you always end up needing twice as many channels as you tink you do.

• Members

Starbug1 wrote:

Thanks, have to look up your suggestions.

You guys have any thoughts on Yorkvilles NX35 and what would be a good mixer to go with them?

You will need an amp with that box. The 55 is the powered version and weighs 41lbs.

Now if you want to go with a powered mixer you can get lighter tops but will loose all the fancy processing in the new powered boxes that makes them sound so good.

• Members

Starbug1 wrote:

You guys have any thoughts on Yorkvilles NX35 and what would be a good mixer to go with them?

As mention their passive speaker that need a amp but I use them for front wedges and love them.

Might check out EV ZX1 stuff which has small foot print.

• Members

Starbug1 wrote:

I have four of the Yorkville NX350's. The model just before the NX35.  They are fine for monitors and I've used them as mains too, but they're a little big, if that's a consideration.

Re: Yorkville speakers - if it's just for female vocals and a little keys, they might like the Yorkville elite E10's. Paired with a powered mixer of some sort you could come in at under two grand.

The NX35's are nice but a little "grainy" and mid scooped. The E10's are more focused and have more clarity IMHO.  The NX55P's would be the wrong choice (also IMO). But if they didn't mind the size and weight then the Yorkville NX25P's would suit.

I have owned and used all of the above many times.

EDIT - I just remembered you are using tracks.  In that case a right turn into the YX line might work. The YX15 with a powered mixer would work for many applications.  I just placed a pair in an elementary school and they have worked out well for that range of vocals (female).  they also are capable of producing a fair bit of bottom. and they are very cost effective.  But big... and a little heavy.  But very cost effective.

Again we're only talking Yorkville here - many other great options out there.

• Members

Starbug1 wrote:

Thanks, looking at the info on all of them.

I think the quality of your "mix", will be far more important than which speakers you choose for this particular application. That will depend on the quality of the mics,,, mic technique,,, and "musicality" of your consoles' channel-strip EQ, and FX section. Your speakers after all, can only put out what's sent to them.

You mentioned keyboard and "backing tracks". What are those backing tracks comprised of? Bass? Drums? Percussion? If you're looking to add any "weight/impact" to the low-end, then you'll either need a sub, or, a full-range loudspeaker with good low-frequency response.

The small audiences in the venues you've described, are probably seated quietly,,, unlike a noisy bar-type gig. You're not requiring much in the way of overall SPL, but you should cinsider a balnced and full-sounding system. I'd focus on getting the most from the female vocalists, and I'd probably give serious consideration to a decent/musical-sounding 3-way loudspeaker, to reduce cross-over artifacts in the vocal range.

Focus on that "mix".

• Members

Starbug1 wrote:

They are using old sm58s for mics and have almost no experience at mixing. Mostly the sing in Baptist Churches.

Do they sing with the audience very often? That can get fairly loud. The QSC and Yamaha boxes are know to put out some high volume levels.

If there is there a youtube video of them with the keyboards we could get a better idea of they might need.

Archived