Splitting a Mic Signal

• Members

Singer here without too much band experience.   I'm with a band now that plays pretty loud, and IEMs are worn at practice by the lead guitar and bass (who sing backup).  They suggested I get them, but I'm going to wait a bit before I plunk down $600.    The other night when I was there for the first time, I wore the ear plugs that let some sound through.  But I strained my voice a bit trying to be heard over the band. 

Anyway, I was wondering about wearing headphones that are getting the signal off the board.  They have a pretty big mixing board.  Typically is there a way to get a line out with a separate mix than is going to the main speakers, that I could use for my headphones (ie one that would have more vocals and less guitar).  Or can you only get one mix out?    I am concerned about what would happen if there was feedback though, and me wearing headphones.

My second idea is to bring my little 150-watt 4-channel analog PA that I use to practice at home.  I have an adapter that would split the mic signal to 2 different cables.  Then one could go to my little PA, and the other to the main mixing board.  Would that work, ie would there be enough power for both PAs?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

TJ

• Members

What you want is a monitor mix. You will need something to amplify it for headphone use. A headphone amp would work. An old HiFi amp would work for practice but don't you dare take one to a gig. Hell, don't wear headphones at a gig, either, you'll look like a tool. I hate headphones. I'm a keyboard player and won't even practice with headphones. If anybody complains about the noise I switch to organ and say, sorry, no headphone jack on a Leslie. ;)

It sounds like you are singing without monitors. That is the height of lunacy. You risk hurting your voice and never sound your best.

Go to your local music store before your next practice and rent a powered monitor and whatever cable you need to plug it into your mixer. Should cost you like $15 for the night. Put it on the ground and point it at your head. Make sure the back of the microphone points at the speaker and you will not have feedback problems, provided you are using appropriate microphones (dynamic cardioids like the SM-58) and your PA speakers are pointed at the audience, not the band.

Archived