What I have, and what I am thinking of getting...

• Members

I have K10's for tops and one Proehl sub.  It takes up a lot of relestate at my house.  I used it with a low volume coverband, but have not gigged like that in over a year.  I want to downsize and try to do a small-scale duo/trio thing.

What I have would work fine.  However, it would be helpful to my household to have less stuff taking up less space.  I am thinking of getting a Bose L1 system and selling off the K10's, Proehl, stands, etc.  I'd be doing 50-100 person rooms in laid back fashion.  Save one local room, the 2x10 and sub would be total overkill.

The only "con" right now, IMO, is I play harmonica and sing.  The L1 might be prone to feedback, so I would continue to use a monitor or sorts or have to find a clever way to position the L1.

Thoughts?

• Members

Well, if you're not looking to do anything more than a duo/trio for crowds under 100ppl.... Then yes; The Bose system would be a nice - compact option for you.

Although, the other, much cheaper option, would be to just use a single K10.   Boom, done.

• Members

Gozer wrote:

I have K10's for tops and one Proehl sub.  It takes up a lot of relestate at my house.  I used it with a low volume coverband, but have not gigged like that in over a year.  I want to downsize and try to do a small-scale duo/trio thing.

What I have would work fine.  However, it would be helpful to my household to have less stuff taking up less space. 

The only "con" right now, IMO, is I play harmonica and sing.  The L1 might be prone to feedback, so I would continue to use a monitor or sorts or have to find a clever way to position the L1.

Thoughts?

Get rid of the sub and presto less space taken.

The thought of harmonica through a Bose system makes me cringe in anticipation.  Naturally, now that I've said that, there will be ten harmonica players telling me I'm crazy and that the Bose was the best thing that ever happened to their playing.  But the thought still makes me cringe. To paraphrase Apocalypse Now " oh the mid, the mid".

You've got some nice speakers in the K10's. Hold on to them, and like others have said, use one or two as needed.  For instance, I work with a keyboard player who uses an electric portable Hammond keyboard and a drum machine.  We play fairly large rooms with one eight inch speaker and a powered mixer.  One K10 would beat the pants of his system - and it would still be really portable.

By the way you can also get a nice small sub like this one. The duo I mentioned above uses one. http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/19052/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/Ysl_10.htm

• Members

Another vote for at least trying what you already have. Try a gig without the sub and see if it's enough. You could also put the K10's on one pole either over the sub or just a stand using an adapter that allows 2 speakers. That saves space, 1 stand, and running a power and audio cable.

Also, I can't get over the comment that 1 Proehl sub and 2 K10's are taking up a lot of real estate at your house. In total that's about the size of a large suitcase. Heck, put a drape over the sub and you have a foot stool, end table or small ottoman.

Archived