Best style sub for low end punch, front loaded vs folded vs....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have a pair of Yamaha Sw118's, play in a rock band use an Audix D6 kick drum mic, running just the frequency range of 40hz to 100hz, with only the kick and my bass going through them, pushing around 1,200 watts into them, (pv 2000 bridged but only turned up 60% of the way. No size or weight limits, have a budget of around $2,000 for upgrades. Was debating loading them with omega pro's, but I also gave a friend selling a pair of EV T18's loaded with omega pro's, was wondering if that was a better direction to go in.

• Members

Alien Radio wrote:

Have a pair of Yamaha Sw118's, play in a rock band use an Audix D6 kick drum mic, running just the frequency range of 40hz to 100hz, with only the kick and my bass going through them, pushing around 1,200 watts into them, (pv 2000 bridged but only turned up 60% of the way.

Them knobs only control sensitivity, not power - you're still putting up to 1000w into each of them poor little 300w subs. Unbridge the amp, put one on each side, turn them knobs all the way up, and turn the system up until the DDT lights start flashing, then 6db past that. If it's not loud enough now you need more subs, maybe another pair of the SW118's used if you can get them cheap.

• Members

The design style is probably less important than the execution. You've got cheap subs and are pushing them too hard. I would avoid boxes that have been reloaded with alternate woofers. Unless the box has been correctly retuned you might be going backwards.

What high pass filter are you using with your current setup? You can probably help clean them up by raising it a bit. You don't need 40 Hz for a kick drum. Most of the punch will be at 70 Hz.

• Members

The amp is set to cut under 40hz, plus I gave an eq on the kick insert and I have it pulled down totally down for 40 and under . I will def try what you mentioned. If I were to invest in higher wattage subs, Bobby noted the Yorkvilles, any other suggestion for subs? Or maybe thoughts on if I got a qsc gx7 which seems like a good match for the yamaha subs.

• Members

Alien Radio wrote:

But mostly looking for any suggestions, but am curious would I benifit getting away from front loaded and getting into a different design.

The type of design isn't as important as it's quality. It's silly to generalize front-loaded subwoofers based on your experience with the entry-level SW118.

• Members

Alien Radio wrote:

The amp is set to cut under 40hz, plus I gave an eq on the kick insert and I have it pulled down totally down for 40 and under . I will def try what you mentioned. If I were to invest in higher wattage subs, Bobby noted the Yorkvilles, any other suggestion for subs? Or maybe thoughts on if I got a qsc gx7 which seems like a good match for the yamaha subs.

Don't use 2 filters, the eq filters are very shallow by comparison so do not use the eq to cut 40Hz.

Your subs can not safely handle any more power than your amp can deliver in stereo mode. You are lucky your subs still work, though I would suspect that the drivers may be damaged already. I see plenty of these come through the shop for reconing.

• Members

Gotcha, I did the eq mostly so I could try to adjust different frequencies to try to see if I could dial in the kick at all, it seemed to have help. You may be right on having some damage, hope not. So I will try all suggestions, but with theses being "entry level" I am wondering if I should just get something better, taking all suggestions on different subs.

• Members

"Running what speakers are rated at program for" is too much power. Using an amp that is rated to deliver the program rated power is something different. Rated and delivered are two different things. The reason manufacturers recommend using program rated amplifiers is that with music as the source that amplifier will never deliver even the continuous power rating of the speaker. Even heavy, compressed sub material is likely to deliver about one third of that amp's power. The bigger risk of damage to subs is delivering frequencies below the -3dB cutoff of the box. The power handling capacity falls off VERY quickly below that point.

• Members

I am using a comp/limiter on the kick. For tops I have Harbinger Hx152's. Not the greatest thing but get the job done, use two but own four. I am going to try everything suggested and I have started looking at some of the subs suggested. I have glanced at the jbl's before and I am hoping to find a somewhere I can check out the Yorkvilles. Jbl also has a passiveprx series now, has anyone had any experience with those, 418 models I believe.

Archived